Serial port software for pocketpc devices?

September 20, 2004 4:20:40 AM

One of the reasons I like the Psion I'm using now is that it has a
serial connection application, so I can just configure the baud rate,
stop bits and parity I need and connect to any serial device.

I know some pocket PCs have serial cables, but is a serial term part
of the supplied apps? A web search shows a few shareware terminal
progarms, but is it really necessary to buy additional software for
such as basic application?

If it's not included, does anybody know of a free app? I only need the
most basic functionality. Set connection params, send data, receive
data.

If none exists, I may need to write it myself... (or of course stick
with the Psion)
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:16:21 AM

No it doesn't come with a terminal emulator. Why would you think a terminal
emulator is such a basic item for a PDA? Those that need that functionality
are fairly rare. (And don't all you geeks that hang out here pipe up that
you use it all the time). That said, you can cheat and use the built in
capability to connect to a serially connected dialup modem. Set the
parameters for Use Terminal before, and after connecting, and you will have
a rudimentary terminal.

For real work though I would recommend vxHPC at www.cam.com. Not free but
excellent. I have seen others and you can likely find them googling, but I
don't recall any totally free.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Chad" <C@h.ad> wrote in message
> One of the reasons I like the Psion I'm using now is that it has a
> serial connection application, so I can just configure the baud rate,
> stop bits and parity I need and connect to any serial device.
>
> I know some pocket PCs have serial cables, but is a serial term part
> of the supplied apps? A web search shows a few shareware terminal
> progarms, but is it really necessary to buy additional software for
> such as basic application?
>
> If it's not included, does anybody know of a free app? I only need the
> most basic functionality. Set connection params, send data, receive
> data.
>
> If none exists, I may need to write it myself... (or of course stick
> with the Psion)

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:53:06 AM

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in

> geeks

Present ;)

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

>No it doesn't come with a terminal emulator. Why would you think a terminal
>emulator is such a basic item for a PDA? Those that need that functionality
>are fairly rare. (And don't all you geeks that hang out here pipe up that
>you use it all the time).
Possibly. I've never seen a desktop OS shipped without one, and what
use is a hardware serial port/cable if the OS does not support it? But
maybe I'm just spoiled by Psion.

>That said, you can cheat and use the built in
>capability to connect to a serially connected dialup modem. Set the
>parameters for Use Terminal before, and after connecting, and you will have
>a rudimentary terminal.
I borrowed a pocketpc to try that, but it seemed the machine insisted
on trying to "dial" anyway, and I could not find a way to open the
"manual dial" or whatever app except for by dialing. The other problem
was no way to set local echo so I couldn't see what I was typing. Of
course I am not familiar with the machine so maybe I'm doing something
wrong.

>For real work though I would recommend vxHPC at www.cam.com. Not free but
>excellent. I have seen others and you can likely find them googling, but I
>don't recall any totally free.
I'll check it out (as well as PockeTTY), but maybe I'll also look for
another cheap device to use as a dedicated terminal (just need a
screen, keyboard and that basic functionality - any ideas?)
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 8:03:04 PM

Absolutely. for the PPC though, I've just given it a number to dial, like
"1" and it's happy. Usually ATDT 1 doesn't irritate the recipient device
much.

But for an alternative, check ebay or other sources for an old CE 2 Handheld
PC. Make darn sure you can get a serial sync cable with it, as they tend to
cost too much on their own. CE2 came with Terminal, which unfortunately is
somewhat rudimentary in it's own right, but there are third part products
for the HPCs too (vxHPC being one). The greatest benefit is a reasonably
sized landscape screen and a 'real' keyboard. Personally I have an NEC 720
for just this function, which I got for around $150. It's fairly good sized,
but that actually is a plus in my book, as I can see a full 80 characters,
and can almost touch type. As an example,
but that is much smaller than the 720

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!