Is all toner the same?

I just got a Lexmark E232 laser printer and since the replacement toner is
rather expensive, I want to consider a refill. I've seen Xerox toner in a
bottle for sale in Staples, and I want to know if I could refill my Lexmark
using any toner. Is photocopier toner the same as laser printer toner?

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:53:34 GMT, lofidelity <user@fakead.com> found these
unused words floating about:

>I just got a Lexmark E232 laser printer and since the replacement toner is
>rather expensive, I want to consider a refill. I've seen Xerox toner in a
>bottle for sale in Staples, and I want to know if I could refill my Lexmark
>using any toner. Is photocopier toner the same as laser printer toner?

Chemical composition ... yes. Physical ... perhaps.

Usability ... depends upon the printer and what quality you're willing to
accept.

J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:53:34 GMT, lofidelity <user@fakead.com> found
> these unused words floating about:
>
>>I just got a Lexmark E232 laser printer and since the replacement
>>toner is rather expensive, I want to consider a refill. I've seen
>>Xerox toner in a bottle for sale in Staples, and I want to know if I
>>could refill my Lexmark using any toner. Is photocopier toner the
>>same as laser printer toner?
>
> Chemical composition ... yes. Physical ... perhaps.
>
> Usability ... depends upon the printer and what quality you're willing
> to accept.

Thanks for the quick response. I was just afraid that if I put in some
toner it would kill the printer. It's worth a shot then.

lofidelity <user@fakead.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the quick response. I was just afraid that if I put in some
>toner it would kill the printer. It's worth a shot then.

Be very careful. It could kill the printer. There are very
substantial differences in the particle size and other physical
characteristics of the toner used by different makes of printers.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

I did that once by mistake. I mucked up the printer and had to have a
service call. Do it at your own risk.

"lofidelity" <user@fakead.com> wrote in message
> I just got a Lexmark E232 laser printer and since the replacement toner is
> rather expensive, I want to consider a refill. I've seen Xerox toner in a
> bottle for sale in Staples, and I want to know if I could refill my
Lexmark
> using any toner. Is photocopier toner the same as laser printer toner?

Mike

Splendid

Safetymom123 wrote:
> I did that once by mistake. I mucked up the printer and had to have a
> service call. Do it at your own risk.
>

> "lofidelity" <user@fakead.com> wrote in message
>
>>I just got a Lexmark E232 laser printer and since the replacement toner is
>>rather expensive, I want to consider a refill. I've seen Xerox toner in a
>>bottle for sale in Staples, and I want to know if I could refill my
>
> Lexmark
>
>>using any toner. Is photocopier toner the same as laser printer toner?

Get the correct toner. Some of it is magnetic, some ain't, different
characteristics. Don't risk it.
The cost of the correct stuff shouldn't be any more than the random
stuff. Only reason to ever try random stuff is if you already have a
ton of the stuff and a spare printer when you muck up the first one.

Last time I bought refills, this was the cheapest place I found
www.shopnc.com
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200

Not only may it be or not be, but laser printer toners are not all the
same either.

There are dozens if not hundreds of differing formulas. They types of
colorants, dyes or pigments used, the temperature range and type of the
plastic used, the size of the grains, and if the toner has iron mixed in
making it stick to magnets or not, are some of the differences. Even
the charge of the particles can be different.

Putting the wrong toner in can ruin the drum, and other parts, ruin the
cartridge if it uses one, contaminate the developer, if it uses that, etc.

It is a real PITA, and it is also not accidental that the manufacturers
do this. I have not been able to find a good cross reference chart
either. Some of the web refillers may show some equivalents, but I
haven't seen much.

I have several toners I picked up myself over the years, and I wish I
could figure out which, if any could be used in other machines.

Art

lofidelity wrote:

> I just got a Lexmark E232 laser printer and since the replacement toner is
> rather expensive, I want to consider a refill. I've seen Xerox toner in a
> bottle for sale in Staples, and I want to know if I could refill my Lexmark
> using any toner. Is photocopier toner the same as laser printer toner?

I'm sorry to report you may kill the printer with the wrong toner.

If the heat range is wrong, it can completely contaminate the fuser and
gum up the entire works, it could even cause a fire. You could end up
with the paper stuck to the fuser and have to "scrape" it off (you don't
want to do this!)

You can scratch the drum, you can...

I wouldn't do it. If you know enough about toners (to at least get into
the ballpark) and the unit uses a cartridge you are willing to
sacrifice, it may be an interesting experiment, but ...

Art

lofidelity wrote:

> J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in
>

>>On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:53:34 GMT, lofidelity <user@fakead.com> found
>>these unused words floating about:
>>

>>>I just got a Lexmark E232 laser printer and since the replacement
>>>toner is rather expensive, I want to consider a refill. I've seen
>>>Xerox toner in a bottle for sale in Staples, and I want to know if I
>>>could refill my Lexmark using any toner. Is photocopier toner the
>>>same as laser printer toner?
>>
>>Chemical composition ... yes. Physical ... perhaps.
>>
>>Usability ... depends upon the printer and what quality you're willing
>>to accept.
>>

> Thanks for the quick response. I was just afraid that if I put in some
> toner it would kill the printer. It's worth a shot then.

xcazer

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
At my work we have plenty of different moedls of HP laser printers. I've been emptying the remaining toner from used cartridges for a while and recharging my home Xerox workcentre 6015 cartridges with it, working perfectly for severeal hundreds of pages with no quality loss or ptinter problems. Just buying reset chips from China...
Some Dell printers use the same cartridges as Xerox. So I don't think there are so many différences...