Boot problem on new install.

dunawayc

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I bought a new A8N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo, PSU, CPU, RAM, and 7800GT video card. Got them all installed and then proceeded to install WinXP Pro on a newly formatted SATA drive. The install seemed to go OK and it booted into windows and completed the installation.

I then installed the drivers for the video card and that seemed to go ok as well, up to the point it said to reboot. When it rebooted, it seemed to stop recognizing the boot drive. I only see a message on the screen that says to remove all removeable media and insert a bootable disk (words to that effect, I cant recall them from memory) and press any key.

That's where I left it last night as I was tired. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

Chris

Qwakrz

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
Sounds like the system is not set to boot from the HDD.

The windows XP install disc is bootable but defaults to force an HDD boot if you dont press any key to install XP. Removing the disc with the bios not having the boot from HDD or SATA set causes the missing boot file error. This has also caught me out on a few occasions.

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I bought a new A8N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo, PSU, CPU, RAM, and 7800GT video card. Got them all installed and then proceeded to install WinXP Pro on a newly formatted SATA drive. The install seemed to go OK and it booted into windows and completed the installation.

I then installed the drivers for the video card and that seemed to go ok as well, up to the point it said to reboot. When it rebooted, it seemed to stop recognizing the boot drive. I only see a message on the screen that says to remove all removeable media and insert a bootable disk (words to that effect, I cant recall them from memory) and press any key.

That's where I left it last night as I was tired. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

Chris

Any floppy in floppy drive?

Check the booting drive sequence in BIOS, as the BIOS could jump the drives.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
With my MSI mobo I have to load drivers for windows to recognize the secondary SATA controller. The Bios recognizes it fine but Windows does not.

Once booted "using the boot disk that you created on install" ;-) you may also have to load a set of Windows drivers. Your mobo come with a flopy or CD with driver set for the SATA right?

I only see that your board supports two different controllers for SATA. You should make sure to use the primary controller since it is usually an easier setup and often does not require another driver set.

Just my two :2cents.. I have had similar problems on other folks machines too.

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
the same thing happened to me but it may of been diferent but what fixed it was reinstalling windows so that might work if nothing else does.