which is better?

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
quick question, which cools better a 7800gtx, (regardless of sound)

Arctic NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 3)

or

Arctic Accelero X1 ?

thanks

The January 2006 issue of Maximum pc has a write up on it. One for ati, the other for nvidia.

nvidia stock cooling...47
nvidia 100% load......67

with nv silencer ......stock ..50
with nv load... 67

Don't buy it.................the one made for ati cards had fenominal temperature drops.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Don't buy it?? I think the Accelero is a newer design and I know with ATI (x1800 and x1900) they don't have a silencer series so I'm guessing future cooler designs will be based on the Accelero. I figured in looking at the two the silencer would be better since it exhausts the air out the back of the case though for nVidia? Just speculation though.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
The January 2006 issue of Maximum pc has a write up on it. One for ati, the other for nvidia.

nvidia stock cooling...47
nvidia 100% load......67

with nv silencer ......stock ..50
with nv load... 67

Don't buy it.................the one made for ati cards had fenominal temperature drops.

the temperatures went up with the cooler?? are you sure??
you said dont buy it, which one of them, and if not, which vga cooler do you recommend is best?

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Don't buy it?? I think the Accelero is a newer design and I know with ATI (x1800 and x1900) they don't have a silencer series so I'm guessing future cooler designs will be based on the Accelero. I figured in looking at the two the silencer would be better since it exhausts the air out the back of the case though for nVidia? Just speculation though.

i also thought the same as you that the silencer would be better, but thinking about it, why would arctic release a newer cooler that would be worse?

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
i also thought the same as you that the silencer would be better, but thinking about it, why would arctic release a newer cooler that would be worse?

Very good question but the Prescott definitely wasn't better than Northwood! :twisted: I still have a few months left before I upgrade anyways so perhaps something better will be out by then. Post if you find anything or decide on one though!

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
"]funny how people believe every benchmark there is =

unless i read their testing method, i take every benchmark with a pound of salt. and maxim PC... c'mon -_-

this is getting a little fustrating, i checked out the maximum pc benchmark and basically saying that the cooling for the silencer is crap, but when i read the review on other sights, the cooling is amazing and temperature drops are around 20 celcius, which one do you believe?!

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Here: read the article yourselves

http://www.maximumpc.com/2006/01/arctic_vooling.html

Check out this review, and look at the differences in the performance of the silencer...

http://www.3dxtreme.org/index.php?id=acnvsilencer5rev36

Looking at those results, i cant help but think this cooler is amazing, looking at the results of maximum pc, i cant help but think the cooler is crap.

which one to believe? thats beyond me...

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
"]i'm pretty sure v700 does perform better than the silencer, i forgot where i read the benchmark though

Come on mang, I'm seriously interested! Oh well, guess I'll just have to do the legwork myself....

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
"]i'm pretty sure v700 does perform better than the silencer, i forgot where i read the benchmark though

Isnt the fatal1ty version of the zalman cooler better than the one you just mensioned? I try to find some benchies on it but im pretty sure that arctic is better than zalmn at gpu cooling.

virus5877

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure the fatality and the vf700 are the same thing but the fatality has red paint and a red LED...

and I was being sarcastic with the pwns comment....that's why i used l337 speak...tards...

:wink:

seriously though, i use the zalman vf700 on my radeon x1900xt and i can't hear a damn thing and the vga never runs above 50c under load, and it has a pretty badass blue LED which matches my case well....not bad if you ask me

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
and case fans are there for what reason? haha, vga coolers arn't made to take the heat from teh card and dump it outside the case... it just needs to get it out. the same with cpu hsfs right?