Sign in with
Your question

CPU upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2006 1:54:05 PM

Hello,

hope I could get a quick answer to this question. I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 motherboard with a Athlon 64 3000+. My question is what's the maximum cpu this board can handle? Any help is appreciated....thanks!

More about : cpu upgrade

February 13, 2006 1:55:26 PM

best bet is to check the manufacturers website (quick google) and read it

but my guess is if it supports a A64 and is socket 939. it'll support all 939 chips, being either A64, X2, FX or Opteron. it may need a bios update to see them, but should have no problems with the actual chips
February 13, 2006 2:12:20 PM

thanks for the reply. I've checked the manufacturer's site and got this: http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupport...

i'm not the saviest computer person but i'm guessing that since i haven't flashed the bios that would be a definite need-to before getting a new cpu??

oh, and what would be the better series to choose from? I play some computer games. Mostly use the computer for internet browsing, office apps.... and again gaming (Source, BF2, CoD 1 & 2)
Related resources
February 13, 2006 2:19:41 PM

I'd be willing to say you're probably fine with an Athlon 64. the 3200 is a good overall performer, or the 3700 if you want a little more umph
February 13, 2006 2:41:02 PM

Quote:
thanks for the reply. I've checked the manufacturer's site and got this: http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupport...

i'm not the saviest computer person but i'm guessing that since i haven't flashed the bios that would be a definite need-to before getting a new cpu??

oh, and what would be the better series to choose from? I play some computer games. Mostly use the computer for internet browsing, office apps.... and again gaming (Source, BF2, CoD 1 & 2)

You would need to flash your bios before getting a new processor, especially a dual core. You're probably fine for at least another year or so with the 3000+. A dual core would give you better results for multi-tasking.
!