ATI graphics card on nForce chipset board...is that ok?

gtlam

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
I'm planning to build a microATX case. I'm planning to go with an ATI X1800XT or possibly X1900XT. I would go with the ATI RS480 chipset MB but have heard problems with the SB450 Southbridge (USB and PCI).

So the other nice boards are the nForce 6150/430 boards (deciding between ASUS, MSI, or FOXCONN). But is it ok to combine an ATI card with an nForce board? Will I lose performance than if I used the RS480 board?

" I would go with the ATI RS480 chipset MB but have heard problems with the SB450 Southbridge (USB and PCI).
"

Although the USB performance might not be top notch in throughput on the ATI chipset, this is probably better than 1000's of users hit with NF4/SATA/USB transfer glitches....(hard locks transferring data from USB2.0 drive to SATA drives)

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
You ARE a Noob - huh?

Edited

Repeat after me please: NO DISADVANTAGE WHEN RUNNING ATI CARD ON NVIDIA CHIPSET!

Rinse. Repeat.

RichPLS

Champion
Uh, you do get loose the option of running in CrossFire mode.
And I thought I read something to the effect that the Crossfire chipset is optimized to communicate with ATI cards a bit better, but that could be marketing...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
You ARE a Noob - huh?

Dear Swet Baby Jebus - why come in here and leave the equivalent of a pile of shit on the doorstep?

Look, if you don't KNOW what you are saying is true - THEN DON'T FUSKING SAY IT - MORON.

See: I know you're an idiot, so I feel relaxed about calling you a moron. :p

Repeat after me please: NO DISADVANTAGE WHEN RUNNING ATI CARD ON NVIDIA CHIPSET!

Rinse. Repeat.
stop makin fun of noobs you were once a noob too what did some l337 ass**** rape you and now you have to take your frustration out on noobs geez!

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
The Nforce chipset has been the dominant chipset for AMD since it came out. Video cards are built to a standard, and there is nothing that will help them transfer data better over a pci-e or agp port, except a better port.