Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wing Commander Creator Making New Game

Tags:
  • Games
Last response: in News comments
September 11, 2012 12:09:56 AM

Ho-lee-fux... Are you kidding me? As a 36 year old gamer who's been playing since the 70's; WC is, was and ever shall be my favourite series.

Welcome back from your hiatus, Chris. You've been missed. Now... TAKE MY MONEY!
Score
September 11, 2012 12:17:26 AM

The cast of WC3 was amazing... Oh man they were good days.
Score
Related resources
September 11, 2012 12:20:15 AM

I'm a couple of years younger, but it's crazy that we were the first real generation to have been gaming since walking. Nowadays that's a regular occurrence but we started it all, lol. Mind you it was the guys older then us that created the games so they get credit as molding us, but I digress. But hell ya good to see Chris back, and if wing commander is the series wahoo. But if it's not I'm sure I'll be buying it because wing commander was amazing. Welcome back Chris.
Score
September 11, 2012 12:42:17 AM

Please complete the WC Prophecy trilogy.
Score
September 11, 2012 12:45:31 AM

WC1 on a 286 was probably my first real game and Privateer is probably my favorite game of all time. But not Privateer 2, that can die in a fire. And, I don't think I could ever forgive him for the movie.
Score
September 11, 2012 12:50:19 AM

AWESOME.
Dude, the Dark Ages of Gaming are FINALLY OVER!
Score
September 11, 2012 12:54:25 AM

Sweet, those were great games and the cat humanoids were cool too., need to get a new joystick. Been wanting a new one anyway because I have Freespace 2 that was great too. It's loaded to my Mac mini running XP under bootcamp for my older games. For modern games I run a self built older Q9650 with a GTX 560Ti with 7-64 as the OS. Bring back some good flight sims, we need them.
Score
September 11, 2012 12:58:18 AM

privateer please!
Score
September 11, 2012 12:59:03 AM

WC was the game I've played the most when I was a kid.
The first privateer was the best.
Score
September 11, 2012 1:27:09 AM

Time to dust off the old joystick, perhaps?

WCII was the game responsible for teaching me about computers. After many hours trying to get the game (with speech pack) to work on a 486, I finally learned all about how to write autoexec.bat, and config.sys files, along with how to make a boot disk just for the game, and the difference between extended memory and expanded memory. All before I had an internet connection. Ah, DOS 6.22... those were the days... back when 16MB of RAM cost $600. (fortunately, I didn't need that for the game to work!)
Score
September 11, 2012 1:33:06 AM

I doubt that it's another Wing Commander game because EA owns it. But I would love a new space combat game.
Score
Anonymous
September 11, 2012 2:11:37 AM

Talk about good news. All I need now is Freespace 3 and a new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game then I'll be able to justify buying the ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog to replace my aging HOTAS Cougar because I need the extra buttons.
Score
Anonymous
September 11, 2012 2:16:18 AM

The website access code is an awesome homage to... well you'll need to figure it out for yourself.
Score
September 11, 2012 3:04:32 AM

You pathetic descendants of monkeys!
Score
September 11, 2012 3:51:50 AM

"With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds,"

Swoon.
Score
September 11, 2012 4:01:08 AM

All my monies if he can get Descent: Freespace 3 up and running.
Score
September 11, 2012 4:55:27 AM

Yes! the space sims/shooters are back! Never played WC (too young then) but FreeSpace 2 i love! I even bought a joystick recently to play FS2 SCP...

Oh and, btw to all those who play FS2 or like BSG, Diaspora's out now.
Score
Anonymous
September 11, 2012 5:29:18 AM

Want an FPS and space combat sim hybrid. That would be totally kick ass!
Score
September 11, 2012 7:12:02 AM

I'm excited by the idea of a WC reboot; in reality though it won't be called that. EA still own the rights to the WC franchise even though they probably don't plan to use it any time soon. The makers of the Wing Commander Saga Freespace mod were expressly forbidden from making any revenue from their efforts, even though EA allowed them to continue.

So if Chris Roberts is planning something in the space combat mould, it will have to be an entirely new setting that is disconnected from the WC universe.
Score
September 11, 2012 7:19:03 AM

phychAll my monies if he can get Descent: Freespace 3 up and running.
You and I are on the same wavelength.
Score
September 11, 2012 7:20:54 AM

Mark Hamill back to reprise his live action roles, or at the very least to do voice-over work
After years of crap sequels and rubbish remakes I have been saying the Wing Commander series was the one original idea that was crying out for a big budget do-over
Please don't mess this up
Score
September 11, 2012 7:23:09 AM

back_by_demandMark Hamill back to reprise his live action roles, or at the very least to do voice-over work...After years of crap sequels and rubbish remakes I have been saying the Wing Commander series was the one original idea that was crying out for a big budget do-over...Please don't mess this up

www.wcsaga.com

Play this and rejoice. It is ten years' worth of loving fan effort.
Score
September 11, 2012 7:27:09 AM

On one level I think this is fantastic news. On an entirely different, and more depressing level, I think that most people who grew up with these games have moved on from gaming and the audience for this is too small to be successful. And I sadly put myself in that camp. While I would love to see a revised WC, or Privateer, I doubt I would find the time to play it. My son might have time, but he's too wrapped up in his infernal minecraft habit.
Score
September 11, 2012 7:49:38 AM

gsacksOn one level I think this is fantastic news. On an entirely different, and more depressing level, I think that most people who grew up with these games have moved on from gaming and the audience for this is too small to be successful. And I sadly put myself in that camp. While I would love to see a revised WC, or Privateer, I doubt I would find the time to play it. My son might have time, but he's too wrapped up in his infernal minecraft habit.

Years of "samey" FPS abuse have forced him to Minecraft, a Space flight sim is just the ticket to break that addiction
Score
September 11, 2012 7:53:39 AM

IndignantSkeptic said:
Some of you might like this website:

http://www.wcnews.com/fanprojects/wcsaga

Agreed, it is absolutely fantastic. I have not had that much fun flying anything in ages. I posted their website a few comments earlier.
Score
September 11, 2012 8:13:43 AM

Damn...i remember...i have a 40MB hard disk(yes..40MB...enough for maybe 8 high quality MP3 files of today....my phone have a few hundred times more storage now) with a 286 PC....i have to wipe out the whole hard disk just to install WC2 i think...like 20 5.25" floppy discs or something.....ah...the good old days
Score
September 11, 2012 8:14:59 AM

And yeah...the installation runs overnight....copies from the floppies and then run it from the hard disk......
Score
September 11, 2012 8:20:00 AM

The worst for me was getting enough base memory to run the game properly. I actually learned a lot from editing AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS, but it was pretty frustrating at times.
Score
September 11, 2012 8:33:58 AM

take note LucasArts - WE WANT X-WING VS TIE FIGHTER AS WELL!
Score
September 11, 2012 8:36:02 AM

captainblackotake note LucasArts - WE WANT X-WING VS TIE FIGHTER AS WELL!

Hell yes! I'm actually very surprised that no-one seems to have latched on to that idea, even for a fan-made total conversion mod.
Score
September 11, 2012 9:09:17 AM

Herr_KoosI'm excited by the idea of a WC reboot; in reality though it won't be called that. EA still own the rights to the WC franchise even though they probably don't plan to use it any time soon. The makers of the Wing Commander Saga Freespace mod were expressly forbidden from making any revenue from their efforts, even though EA allowed them to continue.So if Chris Roberts is planning something in the space combat mould, it will have to be an entirely new setting that is disconnected from the WC universe.

talk about "dog in the manger" EA
Score
September 11, 2012 1:31:50 PM

Wing commander the first computer game I ever got addicted to. Man I loved that series!!!!! I played all the way up to prophecy.

More WC please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Score
September 11, 2012 1:34:34 PM

Oh yeah, i totally forgot about that. Doesn't work anymore sadly (still have the CD, i think i got it with my first Logitech Wingman joystick :D )
Score
September 11, 2012 1:40:13 PM

ojas said:
Oh yeah, i totally forgot about that. Doesn't work anymore sadly (still have the CD, i think i got it with my first Logitech Wingman joystick :D )

Doesn't work, as in won't run in Windows 7? I'm sure there will be a solution to that somewhere.
Score
September 11, 2012 2:10:28 PM

Yea they have to bring back Mark Hamill. That was the only WC I played but man was it fun.

I even thought that the movie wasn't half bad.

That would be a game to bring me out of my FPS rut.
Score
September 11, 2012 2:20:40 PM

I was so addicted to the WC series that I've purchased the novels as well.
Score
September 11, 2012 2:41:17 PM

Privateer 3 was very nearly made but dumped at the last minute, maybe that is what we are looking for to get back into the WC universe
Score
Anonymous
September 11, 2012 3:28:45 PM

exclusive equipment package for golden ticket holders.... clearly this will be another free to play pay to win microtransaction crapfest
Score
September 11, 2012 4:30:39 PM

Personally, I also loved Roberts' Strike Commander and the Privateer series, too.

Strike Commander is available for free here. IMHO, nothing was better than these games, and the best thing yet - you can still play them using DOSBox :) 
Score
September 11, 2012 8:42:48 PM

Heck yea, i loved doing giant space battles with huge rebel and imperial fighters. Trying to take down their shield generators and engines while also dodging other people with xwings and tie fighters. All over a 28.8k modem which would constantly lock up due to buffering. Modernize that biotch and put it on steam and xbox 360 arcade. Instant money maker!!!!!!!!!!!! Or some game studio license and develope it, garunteed money maker!!!!!!

Score
September 11, 2012 8:44:47 PM

gggplayaHeck yea, i loved doing giant space battles with huge rebel and imperial fighters. Trying to take down their shield generators and engines while also dodging other people with xwings and tie fighters. All over a 28.8k modem which would constantly lock up due to buffering. Modernize that biotch and put it on steam and xbox 360 arcade. Instant money maker!!!!!!!!!!!! Or some game studio license and develope it, garunteed money maker!!!!!!

I meant huge space battles with destroyers and frigates and such with fighters swarming all around. One side constantly trying to take down the fleet of the other, while also fighting off enemy fighters.
Score
September 12, 2012 12:44:11 PM

28.8k hahaha we had 56k. i remember when my friend got 128k...wow that was fast!
Score
September 12, 2012 12:55:30 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Doesn't work, as in won't run in Windows 7? I'm sure there will be a solution to that somewhere.

Ah. No i think the CD's gone bad or something. Last time i tried was a few years ago, when i was still using XP. I remember being able to launch the game, but not being able to load a mission. Haven't tried since. Tomb Raider II (golden mask) was having problems installing itself, Rage's Incoming ran like a slideshow even with xp (but i think that was after i bought my first graphics card)...so i dunno.

I seriously don't think it'll run in 64-bit win 7 though. Even vanilla FS2 had a bit of a problem ("oh noes!!! you have -4MB ram!!!") but you can ignore that and play FS2...(love the amount of optimization they put into that game)

(The only problem the SCP has is that it only uses a single core and gets CPU bottlenecked if you put too many ships into the mission.)

So i'm not sure of what lets these games run or breaks them. Mostly it's either the fact that you're using 4GB or more RAM, incompatible video card drivers (voodoo-optimized games, for example, or issues with anti-aliasing settings), difference in how the directories are named (FS2 has an issue if you put a space in between, like G:\program files\games\freespace2)... then there's also AoE II, you have to switch the theme to basic, and then minimize and restore the window...good old games :D 

Probably have to try running them in DOSBox....
Score
September 12, 2012 2:20:29 PM

captainblacko28.8k hahaha we had 56k. i remember when my friend got 128k...wow that was fast!

I dreamed of 128k ISDN, but it was too much money. Dad wouldn't let us :-(
Score
September 13, 2012 5:21:11 PM

The space-half of Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed was supposedly developed by the 'team' who made Wing Commander - though I never heard if it was 1 and/or 2, or the newer versions.
Score
!