Screensaver for LCD?

backwards

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
Is it necessary to use a screensaver for a LCD monitor?
If yes, is it better to use it, or just switch the monitor off? Any harm in switching the thing on and off often?

Thanks

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yes! LCD's can get what looks like screen burn. In terms of LCDs it is generally referred to as "image sticking". The cause is a bit complicated, but it generally comes from not maintaining the proper voltage (i.e., having a net zero DC voltage, long term) across the LC cells. Any amount of leakage current will turn a cell on slightly causing an image to appear.

It is my recommendation to use a screen saver and change the background pattern. On the bright side, unlike CRT monitors in time the effect may fade. If your LCD has this phenomenon, try running a pure white screen for a period of time, this also can reduce the effect but may not remove it completely.

Turning the monitor off will not harm the unit. In fact it may be better. LCD monitor backlights are on always, no matter what’s displayed on the screen. The backlight is the component with the lowest Mean time to failure of a LCD.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

backwards

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks! I'll just switch it off if I'm gonna leave it for more than 15 mins. Wasn't sure if it was safe to do it. I'm pretty sure its not good to switch a CRT on and off alot...