I think my processor may have died, need some help

captainspork

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I had a power failure in my house yesterday, now my computer isn't working. When I power on my computer the light on the monitor turns green as if it were receiving signal, then it gives the message saying attach signal cable and goes into off mode. Also the lights on my keyboard and the light under my mouse do not turn on.

I'm using an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with an Intel P4C. The vocal post message on my motherboard says, "system failed CPU test." I've tried reseating the graphics card, reseating the RAM, clearing the CMOS, reseating the CPU, and reseating the power cables on the motherboard. Is there anything I can do or is my processor history?

Thanks

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
ouch

ummm, ya, doesnt sound promissing dude. i'm guessing the computer was plugged in at the time of the powerfailure... and it was one of those quick 1 - 2 second powerfailures that just quickly go off and on

those are usually big powersurges and not failures themselves... those surges can be DDEADLY to PC's.... and despite surge protectors claims, they often can still get through to your PC and fry some components

I've had it happen... sucks major BALLS

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I don't know man, you're gonna have to test each component individually like use some else's pc and test your cpu and other components to be sure it your cpu if not just that.

captainspork

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
ouch

ummm, ya, doesnt sound promissing dude. i'm guessing the computer was plugged in at the time of the powerfailure... and it was one of those quick 1 - 2 second powerfailures that just quickly go off and on

those are usually big powersurges and not failures themselves... those surges can be DDEADLY to PC's.... and despite surge protectors claims, they often can still get through to your PC and fry some components

I've had it happen... sucks major BALLS

The power went out due to some heavy snow. It actually lasted a few hours.

I would try a different ps next. "System failed cpu test" could indicate other problems besides the cpu. I had that same message once for a weak ps with a low 12v rail reading, and changing the ps got rid of it.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Chances are the power comming back on is what hosed things up.

Next time - when the power goes out, pull the PC's power plug out of the wall. Once the power comes back on, you can plug your PC back in.

Either way.. ouch. I dont envy you at all

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
What you can do in this situation is putting ur parts on ebay sell them and run. It is sad but actually people do that. Dont forget the non-refundable policy. GL!

Weird!

bluuuzz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Im currently having the same issue. My comp froze the other night while playing WOW. I shut down power to comp by pushing the power key for four seconds. When I tried to power-up my computer the machine would not power up. I only get the "monitor is in stand-by mode"

I started with the Graphic Card i pulled it and tried it in my other comp,and it worked . So I figure my Graphics Card is OK.

Went to power supply, i purchased a new power supply and tried that. NOPE the wasnt it it did not start. I returned the PSU and purchased a new MOBO board. Installed the card and the old processesor from prior MOBO and NOPE it didnt work.

So that leave me with the feeling that its my Processor. By the way my fan on all case,Heatsink and GPU card are all working machine seems to power up.

I dont have a speaker in my case so i cant hear any beeps if they are being made.

Any help would be grateful?

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Buy a Power Supply Tester!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad's PC just died the other day too. Wow, PC's are dying all the time, who knew? I just bought an Aspire ATX power supply tester from Newegg for $17 (its only $9.50 but shipping's $7--I don't trust UPS on their delivery times--and then tax...) It's an easy way to see if your PSU died.