mountainbiker619

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I am going to build a M-ATX system using a X-Qpack Cube. I will be using my own video card (7800GT) and was wondering which chipset is the better performer.

1. ATI Radeon Xpress 200 RS482
2. VIA K8M800
3. NVIDIA nForce 430

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
We have done several systems using the X-Qpack, either using the Foxconn board Crashman referenced, or MSI's RS482M-IL, which uses the ATI chipset. Both have performed very well for us with no issues to date. Have not used the VIA K8M800. Foxconn boards do not get much press in these forums, but they are excellent boards, and Foxconn has been around for a long time, and have been making boards for others for some time before marketing their own. So they aren't some new kid on the block whose reliability is in question. If more people would make informed decisions, they would find that indeed there are other good boards out there besides Asus, who seems to get the majority of ink in Tom's forums. Our experiences with Asus boards, and their support, hasn't been as stellar as most here would lead one to believe. Sorry, I don't mean to vent, just make an informed decision based on something other than Asus fanboy's opinions in these forums. Be advised though, that the Foxconn board is socket 939 and the MSI board is socket 754. I forgot to mention that earlier on. MSI does make a socket 939 version of the ATI chipset board, and I would think it would also perform well.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I'm thinking about the same (foxconn) board and case myself. Do you reckon the stock Xpack power supply is decent enough quality?