using GPS locator on Pocket PC

September 20, 2004 9:00:27 AM

Anyone familiar witht the GPS locator product? I want to
know how it connects to my Ipaq and my Smartphone. Is it
only through Bluetooth or are their adapter cords?

Also, when you are connecting it to the Pocket PC or the
Smartphone where does the GPS locator get its power? I'm
assuming it gets its power from the USB port, but what
happens if you connect it via Bluetooth to the Pocket PC?
I cannot find ANYTHING on this yet, I guess because it's a
new product, but has anyone tried this product out?

Thanks.

More about : gps locator pocket

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 12:40:44 PM

It's not really new. And their are a number of products out their. Generally
Bluetooth GPS units have an internal battery that power them. So the device
uses it's own battery. This battery is not generally user replaceable on a
first generation device, and is on second generation devices. Again
generally speaking you can get 5 to 8 hours of use on a first generation
device, and perhaps as much as 10 or more hours on a second generation
device.

Other devices may connect through a wired serial port on your PDA. These
will generally have one wired connect that "Y" into two sections and one
will plug into the car cigarette lighter socket, and the other into the PDA,
to often power both the GPS and the PDA.

Their are also cards that will plug into a CF or SD slot, but these devices
will draw their power from the PDA, and may greatly shorten the battery run
time of the PDA.

Just how the GPS device will connect to your PDA depends on the GPS. And
some devices may be able to connect in more than one way, say as either a CF
card, or when placed in and external enclosure as a Bluetooth device.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

!