Ati AVIVO vs. Nvidia PureVideo @ Extremetech

And basically following the trend of the AVIVO vs PureVideo;

After Cat 5.13;
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_catalyst_5.13_video_quality/

before the situation was very different;
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_xgi_mainstream_video_quality_comparison/

Remember that nV has also promised some tweak for PureVideo sometime in the future to help address the current gap in quality/performance. So things could change once again.

And their latest article shows something very VERY disturbing, especially for any AIW owners (not that we know any of those :roll: );
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

No HDCP support! 8O

And that's the whole thing.

I'm on the verge of building a new system, and now you tell me this?

I was even hoping that the new X1300/1400/1600 (and hopefully X1700) laptops would have HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives, or the option to upgrade.

With this now, the only HDCP option is the very very few 'engineering sample' HDMI equipped cards.

And while I'd like HDMI for my current LivingRoom TV (probably end up as a bedroom TV eventually) , it never really seemd to be that much of an issue until I read that.

Still a medium consideration, but I want HD-DVD/Blu-Ray as a laptop option so that I can take it to places that may not have it, but still have HDTVs (like parents, cottage, friends).

Anywhoo, dissapointing news, but thankfully on the laptop front my upgrade path is far enough away, but I'd sure hate to upgrade to an X1900AIW and find out I might need to upgrade again due to the AIW features not the gaming features, like is usually the case. :x

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Totally! It's yet another case of an immature technology that the first adopters will suffer for the bleeding edge.

The other thing that disturbed me was the down scaling in resolution for high def content that doesn't support HDCP. I knew it would be downscaled but I believe it says by 75%? So does that mean a 1080 signal will be down to 270? I mean common, that's not even DVD quality!

Well I usually consider myself bleeding edge on some things, like HDTVs, I'm on my 2nd looking for my 3rd.

However, in this case I think it's less bleeding edge, than the companies including M$ and Intel introducing standards no one knowsare necessary. If we knew about this (I knew about HDCP but not that it was going to be necessary for Blu ray period (what about laptops with direct connections to LCDs most of throse are going to be through non HDCP connections too I'd think, despite the ease of facilitating such a connection.

I also think alot of people expected M$ to drop this the way they did previous intrusive methods M$ secur-check and unique Intel Processor ID (which is still there just no implemented much).

*warning*[rant]But once again the jerks in big studios won out. Because they still want to charge you $50 for a copy of The Great Escape or Groundhog Day without any additional features, despite having recouped all the production costs, etc. long ago. If they made DVDs and CDs cheap like the technology was supposed to promise, people'd buy them. And they took so long to launch DVD-A and SACD or even PCgames on DVD, that by the time they got their act together to make 'normal profits' off of the advancements, the burner/media technology caught up to them. They spend so much time worrying about the copy protection, that they release the technology in quantity long after the average public can make piracy cheap enough. You show me a single effective anti-piracy measure, and I'll show you something that the crackers haven't even bothered with yet. The studios just don't understand that people want reasonable prices, not unreasonable restrictions so they can continue to fund payola and mansions and jets, etc. The artists don't see a fraction of that money it's used to prop up the industry itself. The artists would make ore money giving away their music and charging for concerts/shirts, etc. than any other model they could come up with, and for hollywood, they would make more money if they made it more affordable, sure some people will never buy DVDs, but most would rather a store bought one for $7.99-9.99 than renting and burning a copy. They don't seem to realise measures like this just tick people off and hurt their overall market.[/rant]

The other thing that disturbed me was the down scaling in resolution for high def content that doesn't support HDCP. I knew it would be downscaled but I believe it says by 75%? So does that mean a 1080 signal will be down to 270? I mean common, that's not even DVD quality!

Actually the 75% is the global reduction, so thing half-height and half-width, and not surprisingly enough that comes close (960x540) to matching the 640x480/720x540 type of resolution, and that makes sense. Without HDCP you will only get the current DVD style resoulution not the 1920x1080i/p or 1280x720p that would be offered by HD disks.
So indeed any 1080p content downconverted to SDTV/EDTV would be LESS than 20% the overall picture information of the original.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Ah, capitalism at its finest! I'm certainly not on the bleeding edge by any means but I still like to keep a lookout on the technology front. I don't fear for myself but for the other blokes who are oblivious to the technology wave that's going to crush us all!

Defending against spyware and the other crap is bad enough but now they have to wade through another format war on top of a supposed war on piracy and what will they get??? Overpriced 5 year old movies that won't play on their 6 month old overpriced hardware even though they just upgraded to the overpriced software to run it! So they'll buy the new hardware and the new discs just in time for the other format to win and then they'll go through the same thing again!

In Canada we pay(ed) a Levy on blank CDs (about 21c per blank data and 77c per blank Audio CDs [really what's the diff?]), 29c for blank tapes [dropped in 2003] it's supposed to be coming off now, but I still see it at most placed (haven't bought blank CDs in over a year so didn't notice any change from the Dec 2005 ruling).

They also added them to all MP3 players for a while, $2 for under 1GB / $5 <10GB / $25 10GB+, but they left DVDs untouched. There was to be a levy on HDs but I think that never happened (dunno, once again it's a hidden fee and hard to notice, without someone telling you).

So this issue has been a hassle for quite some time, at least those levies are supposed to go to supporting new and existing artists, not the studios, but right now it seems to be a gov't tax grab really.

Considering I was told by a studio to simply go out and buy a new CD for one that was pitted and pockmarked from degredation (not abuse), instead of sending me a new one at cost [I even provided return postage], I'm certain the studios nor the RIAA care much about 'justice' and 'fair use', just more profits.