Sign in with
Your question

Seperate drive for OS

Last response: in Storage
February 13, 2006 6:24:27 PM

would it work for me to have a 40gb HDD for windows and some random progs and have my current drive for everything else?

If so, what needs to be the master/slave? Can i have both as master?

I cant install the OS on my current HDD cuz its a bit buggered and basicly isnt recognising the disk at all. I know it works but its just a bit messed up.

So, can i have a seperate HDD for my OS or not? =/

Need a reply soon plz...

More about : seperate drive

February 13, 2006 6:40:47 PM

You can put your OS and programs on one drive and use the second hard drive for storage, basically how my systems are set up. The drive with the OS and programs would be the Master and the storage drive would be the Slave. There are no Master or Slave with SATA drives. Currently the drive I use for OS and programs is an ATA drive and my storage drives are SATA. In this case, the ATA drive is set up as though it's the only drive, i.e., the 3rd setting the other 2 being Slave or Master.
February 13, 2006 6:42:42 PM

thanks =D i will buy the 40gb i was looking at now then =>
Related resources
February 13, 2006 6:47:52 PM

Assuming your two hd's are IDE, & assuming you have rom drives on the Secondary IDE connection, the answer is NO, you can't have both hard drives as Master.

Jumper the new drive as Master; jumper the buggered drive as Slave, and connect them to the Primary IDE connection.

You should be using an 80 wire cable. The blue end into the mobo. The other end into the Master; the middle connection into the Slave.
February 13, 2006 6:54:27 PM

ok thanks, i had my 160gb as a slave on my old comp so its fine in that respect... i baught a western digital 40gb from OcUK just now so will install the os on that instead =>

Thanks!
February 13, 2006 7:31:49 PM

Quote:
would it work for me to have a 40gb HDD for windows and some random progs and have my current drive for everything else?

If so, what needs to be the master/slave? Can i have both as master?

I cant install the OS on my current HDD cuz its a bit buggered and basicly isnt recognising the disk at all. I know it works but its just a bit messed up.

So, can i have a seperate HDD for my OS or not? =/

Need a reply soon plz...

I have 4 different OSes installed on a dedicated SATA drives (I do not like to mix the OSes on the same drive!).

Al I have to do is from BIOS sellect the BOOT drive to boot from the system I want.
February 14, 2006 3:15:28 PM

Just a clarification that is likely obvious to majority of people.

Most drives require a single drive to be set as master, while a few have a seperate option for single operation.

I often have to come to the aid of someone who assumes that jumper rules of one drive applies to all.
February 14, 2006 3:25:49 PM

I have done the same, but I lately I find running others OSes using virtual PC software to be more convient.

Its especially benificial for software development.

I currently have a few virtual PCs setup to run different versions of Apache, PHP and Mysql for testing purposes.

VMWare recently started offering a free server product to better compete with open source alternatives.
!