Sign in with
Your question

This is bullcrap

Last response: in CPUs

Would you chose Intel over AMD for better Skype support?

Total: 58 votes

• Yes
  • 18 %
  • No
  • 83 %
February 13, 2006 7:44:07 PM

http://news.com.com/Intels+mantra+Lets+make+a+deal/2100...

Skype caps the number of conference callers to 5 on AMD based systems, but allows up to 10 on intel based systems. It's a marketing deal with Intel.

I'm usually the first one to say "it's a private company, they can do whatever they want." But in this particular instance it's a really, really bad decision. They're cutting off their own noses. No one is going to buy an frigin intel based system simply because it supports up to 10 callers on skype.

Companies like skype are a dime a dozen, even if eBay owns them. If AMD users can't get what they want from Skype, they'll go elsewhere. Skype can count that in their loss column.

The only person(s) this is bad for is the consumer.

-mpjesse

More about : bullcrap

February 13, 2006 8:19:23 PM

Quote:
Do you use Skype?

You know, I was about 3 hrs from downloading it. Jakes_Barnes asked me to download it so we can chit chat. Now I don't think I will.

When they implement the change it'll certainly affect how people in these forums communicate. Everyone's often on Skype apparently... if the host is using AMD, then everyone's screwed.

-mpjesse
February 13, 2006 8:28:45 PM

What is Skype? Just kidding.

I totally agree with you man. I just don't agree with the thought of Hey, use our products and we'll give you more! Just another stupid idea from Intels wonderful marketing dept.
Related resources
February 13, 2006 8:34:34 PM

Screw Intel, and especially screw Skype!

You know Vonage is going public finally? Definitely an upcoming IPO I am getting in on. :wink:
February 13, 2006 8:34:42 PM

Skype is teh gay. Last thing you want to do as a corporation is piss off a bunch of fanboys of any side...
This is a pretty dumb move on the part of Intel as well, this makes AMD's lawsuit look all the more legimate (which I think does actually have some truth to it).
Anyway, screw Skype. I use Teamspeak over that anyday :D 
February 13, 2006 8:58:29 PM

FFS what c*nts. That pisses me off and in terms of business it strikes me as being very unprofesional. In my eyes the fact that they need to do shit like this only makes me think that they are worried as intel is getting raped, especially at dual core.

I also remember reading about how intel were getting annoyed at a PC shop. Their ratio of intel to amd was getting less one-sided and so intel threatened to pull out and not sell this shop any intel processors unless it cut the amount of AMD processors to be only 20% of all PCs sold. The annoying thing is they have the power to do this, and the guys business would suffer. I hope AMD sues their asses.
February 13, 2006 9:09:50 PM

Not to question any of your opinion.. but how many time have you actually confrenced with more than 5 people?
February 13, 2006 9:19:17 PM

Quote:
Not to question any of your opinion.. but how many time have you actually confrenced with more than 5 people?

dunno dont use skype lol. I reckon AMD should retaliate. All games using directx9 work only on AMD processors! lol :p 
February 13, 2006 9:55:09 PM

Gamers for starters (specifically, multiplayer gamers). I know moderators on every major hardware forum uses skype as well.

It's like conference calling.

-mpjesse
February 13, 2006 10:03:57 PM

f**k intel see this is why i'm an amd fanboy! cause they are not assholes like intel!
February 13, 2006 10:09:29 PM

dvddiddy, you make AMD users look bad as you are a simply biased consumer. anyway, skype will get it in the ass for this.
February 13, 2006 10:20:32 PM

who the hell voted yes are you stupid it's just another intel monopoly tactic oh and how does the system know if im using an intel or an amd proc?
February 13, 2006 10:25:59 PM

yeah they'll be raped by a gang of clowns too right in the ass so hard it'll come out there nose!
February 13, 2006 10:29:26 PM

I'm an AMD fan... but anyway its bad business to pick sides when there is not a clear loser.. er winner
February 13, 2006 10:45:44 PM

The thing is Intel has been useing marketing plans like this for years going back to the beginning of pentium 4 they new back then that there p3 was only just faster then AMD and they had new tec in p4 so useing a biger engin and the so called new and better tecnolegy brought in more sales mhz for mhz AMD was more aficiant and faster
and they did atack the shops even here in Australia a shop i go to was once amd for overclockers even though back then there were overheating problems but still people bought the products
now they are intel orientated in sales and aparently the money is more with buisness pacedge deals
look at apple they are going Intel
Dell has always been Intel
It is the way of big buisness its a cut throat game
envidia is the same they buy up componeys for there tecnolegy so they can sprout a better product
Arigonaly the leaders in graphics were 3dfx ATI and something -labs
and now envidia are the biggest all through marceting and buy ups
I am not an AMD or ATI freek i reserch the best and then i purchace
i have owned several intel as well as countless envida products and yes i am going to try out the cross fire system only on a hoby overclocking point of view
All i can say is keep the faith and dont sercome to there antics buy for what you want not for what they want
Gazza
February 13, 2006 11:08:23 PM

Nothing the American Corporate world does surprises me anymore...

...sigh.
February 13, 2006 11:23:28 PM

Once again Intel going nasty (they always were).

This is more proof that Intel needs to do these kind of stuff to keep "competitive" against AMD. :wink:

I believe they've said something like "If our processors are no match to theirs, then, let's lock them in the software side."
February 14, 2006 12:17:50 AM

This reminds me of the term I've used many times before!

BOHICA!!!

Its just that, intel and its marketing team wants to put it to the AMD user every chance they get. I hope AMD wins that anti-trust suit.

As far as SKYPE is concerned they just lost me and my guild for playing favorites, damn shame too!
February 14, 2006 1:50:34 AM

nonsense. This is like asking "Would u buy all the junk food of McDon***'s if we put sweet monkeis selling it?!" or something like that...

WEIRD!

February 14, 2006 2:21:28 AM

Quote:
Arigonaly the leaders in graphics were 3dfx ATI and something -labs

I hate to break it to you, but ATI was never the leader of anything until the Radeon came out, even then it took them forever to make that successful (9700 was probably their "breakout" card). And that was after nVidia bought 3dfx. The leaders were originally 3dfx, nVidia, and 3DLabs; in order. ATI's Rage cards were the laughing stock of 3D gaming.

Here's some benchmarks of the first ATI Radeon. As you can see nVidia owned the scene back then.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/radeonpreview/page5...

-mpjesse
February 14, 2006 2:23:31 AM

Yowzors, those charts make me feel like I am using a supercomputer!
February 15, 2006 2:27:09 AM

Quote:
Yowzors, those charts make me feel like I am using a supercomputer!
a super computer wow it makes me feel like i have blue gene :D 
February 15, 2006 3:40:36 AM

i have blue jeans... what's the big deal?
February 15, 2006 4:29:29 AM

Just look at the bigger picture :
1) There are very few people that go over 5 person limits
2) Persons doing so, use Team Speak or other dedicated software
3) Skype will get hacked (Games which are better protected do)
4) In Love & War (and now business) everything is allowed.

This could start a problematic tendency, Example :
IDSoftware & Intel deal : No FPS limit for Intel on Quake5, 40 FPS for AMD

For this reason i really hope the lawsuit goes through and Skype/Intel get fined.
The "Only Intel CPU are powerfull enough" is a lie.
And No unbiased/unbought judge/jury will ever fall for it.
February 15, 2006 4:46:19 AM

I don't know much about this stuff. I have both intel and amd, but I just don't like the fact that Intel is trying to kick out all competition especially AMD. Does Intel feel threatened with AMD or they can just do what they want and bully other company because they're big and all? Personally, I feel that intel is monopolizing, but like I said don't much about this issue. I just hope this can be resolve and both side could run their company in peace. :( 
February 15, 2006 5:01:09 AM

I still have my VooDoo 5 card....thinks it worth anything.......?

Amd pwns Intel btw.. :twisted:
February 15, 2006 5:25:06 AM

can always use vent ;) 
February 15, 2006 7:28:46 AM

Yeah, noticed that.... so now we have the advantage of only having to put up with five people talking at once instead of ten people, and to add insult to injury, lower CPU overheads aswell ?

- Well done AMD, you've done absolutely nothing and it worked out fine for you. :p  - (Note: Around half my systems are Intel - Not a fanboy)

But seriously now, does anyone need a 10 way conversation that TeamSpeak or something else can't just do ?, and do it regardless of the CPU under the hood aswell.
February 15, 2006 12:34:55 PM

I don't really think that "Skype" is all that big a deal anyways. There are more Internet conferencing programs out there that alot of MMORPG players use.

I currently use Teamspeak (for some games), Ventrilo for others... etc..

If Skype wants to limit itself like that no one will use it, why? Because the 15 year olds parents don't build them P4 Extreme edition machines, instead they get E-machines computers and most likely the lower end and they plop a vid card in it.

In which case ALOT of those are AMD based.
My two cents.
!