Portable Photo Printers - Kodak/Epson/??

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these and
what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the Kodak
seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
efficient cost-wise as possible.
12 answers Last reply
More about portable photo printers kodak epson
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    "Bob Hayden" <bobhayden@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
    > take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in
    > their
    > notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
    > cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these
    > and
    > what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the
    > Kodak
    > seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
    > efficient cost-wise as possible.

    I use my Canon CP-330 dye-sub printer for portable uses. Actually I use it
    for all of my smaller (4x6 and under) photo printing, hooked up to my PC.

    It is completely self-contained (has a replaceable and removable rechargable
    Litium Ion battery) and can print from any camera that is Pictbridge
    compatible. I've printed to it from my Digital Rebel, A70, and Sony digital8
    camcorder with excellent results.

    One of the nice things about the Canon dye-sub printers is that you can use
    4x6 paper and ribbon, or a smaller credit card size paper and ribbon (very
    nice pocketable size), or 4x8 paper and ribbon for quasi-panoramic uses. The
    supplied Canon software makes it very easy to add fancy captions and borders
    also (when used via the USB interface with a PC). Of course you can also use
    what they call 'sticker' papers and ribbons to make multiple (but small)
    images on one sheet, that have a self-adhesive back.. I paid $220 for mine a
    few months ago and it is quieter, smaller, and faster than my former HiTi
    PS-630..

    God Bless America!

    And HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

    Bob the Printer

    Our web pages are located at:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bdolson/
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Bob Hayden wrote:
    > I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
    > take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
    > notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
    > cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these and
    > what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the Kodak
    > seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
    > efficient cost-wise as possible.

    Try the new HP PhotoSmart 375. It will connect to any PictBridge camera
    and has bluetooth built in too. Fantastic machine.

    --
    Mushroom
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Mushroom <mushroom@nospam.thanks> writes:

    > Bob Hayden wrote:
    > > I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
    > > take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
    > > notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
    > > cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these
    > > and what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the
    > > Kodak seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
    > > efficient cost-wise as possible.
    > >
    > Try the new HP PhotoSmart 375. It will connect to any PictBridge camera and
    > has bluetooth built in too. Fantastic machine.

    I have the HP 375B (with the battery). I believe bluetooth is an extra cost
    option, and not part of the standard package. One thing I just discovered
    yesterday is the HP can read from portable hard drives like my CompactDrive
    that I use to offload from my memory cards.

    Note, however HP is generally not the cheapest printer in terms of consumable
    costs.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

    "Michael Meissner" <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message
    > I have the HP 375B (with the battery). I believe bluetooth is an extra cost
    > option, and not part of the standard package. One thing I just discovered
    > yesterday is the HP can read from portable hard drives like my CompactDrive
    > that I use to offload from my memory cards.
    >
    > Note, however HP is generally not the cheapest printer in terms of consumable
    > costs.

    For the Photosmart 375 or 325 printers see the HP 700 Photo Value pack, which
    provides an ink cartridge and 125 sheets of premium glossy photo paper:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/home/store_access.jsp?product_code=C9367A%23140&template_type=product_detail&script_name=product.cgi

    The Photosmart 375 is more compact than the Epson Picturemate and has the added
    advantage of battery operation (on the Photosmart 375B model).

    Regards,

    << From: "Bob Hayden" bobhayden@prodigy.net
    Date: Thu, Dec 2, 2004 6:40 PM

    I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
    take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
    notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
    cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these and
    what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the Kodak
    seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
    efficient cost-wise as possible.

    The Epson PictureMate prints great pictures and very water resistant. BUT, why
    don't you just get a regular Canon printer which is much faster, prints great
    photos and can print 4X6 pictures full bleed with no problem. Do you need to
    print them "on the spot?"
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    "Bob Hayden" <bobhayden@prodigy.net> wrote in

    > I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in
    > school to take pictures of students art projects and then print them
    > for use in their notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks
    > specifically for their cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone
    > printer. ANy thoughts on these and what to look for or what you might
    > recommend? One concern is that the Kodak seems to have a pretty high
    > per print cost...would like to keep it as efficient cost-wise as
    > possible.

    Price Per Print is Misleading (Read the Fine print in the volume purchase
    of ink and paper).. Fact is that Kodak will work easily, no color
    management issues, no other "Test" prints required...
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Bob Hayden wrote:

    > I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
    > take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
    > notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
    > cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these and
    > what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the Kodak
    > seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
    > efficient cost-wise as possible.

    Hi Bob...

    Using one of the walmart or equivalent stores will be
    far far cheaper than printing themself on site - and if
    the quantity is great enough, likely even faster.

    Then again, considering that they're for notebooks, archival
    quality shouldn't be of concern, maybe even bubble jet is
    adequate. Does your school have a computer club or class?

    Just thinking...

    Ken

    << From: Ben ben@spambait.com
    Date: Sat, Dec 4, 2004 4:18 PM

    "Bob Hayden" <bobhayden@prodigy.net> wrote in

    > I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in
    > school to take pictures of students art projects and then print them
    > for use in their notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks
    > specifically for their cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone
    > printer. ANy thoughts on these and what to look for or what you might
    > recommend? One concern is that the Kodak seems to have a pretty high
    > per print cost...would like to keep it as efficient cost-wise as
    > possible.

    Price Per Print is Misleading (Read the Fine print in the volume purchase
    of ink and paper).. Fact is that Kodak will work easily, no color
    management issues, no other "Test" prints required...

    For the Kodak printer docks a package to print 40 sheets costs $24.95. For the
    Epson, a package to print 100 sheets costs $29.95. You have to waste a LOT of
    Epson paper to make up the difference of slightly over TWICE the cost for the
    Kodak prints.

    > I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
    > take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
    > notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their

    Here, the Kodak itself, while more expensive, may be the better buy
    for the long term for the art projects if longevity is desired.

    The Kodak dock printers use dye-sub technology, which will be
    basically waterproof (uses solid inks) vs. the inkjet prints from the HP
    portables. Thus, if you're gluing, decorating, and planning on these
    prints to last a bit of time, then the Kodak dye-sub prints are the
    better choice, depsite the extra cost. HP prints simply get ruined the
    moment any wet fingertip or project glue gets on them.

    Some of the portable Canon prints are also dye-sub printers (check,
    they've got one brand-new one out that uses inks instead) and would also
    be a good choice if you hvae a Canon camera.

    ---

    The Epson PhotoMate printer may be a good in-between choice. They
    toot the inks as being waterproof and lasting longer than regular
    inkjets (we'll see...).

    Here, take a sample print from the store, dunk it into water at home,
    and see what it does to the print -- if that's acceptable, then there
    you go.

    The Epson is partcularly cheap right now due to a $50 rebate (see
    www.epson.com for the rebate: here,
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Landing/OnlyEpson.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&ref=hen),
    and the printer itself is going for as low as ~$176 before rebate
    (www.mwave.com or www.dell.com; else search www.shopper.com).

    and that brings it in line with the Kodak printer docks (as low as
    ~$150 at officemax.com and elsewhere).
    ---

    Any of these consumables can be bought cheaper online. Simply
    search for the part # at www.shopper.com (or usually www.amazon.com or
    www.buy.com has them pretty cheap).

    eg. Kodak paper pack retails $25, but as low as $17:
    http://shopper.cnet.com/Color_Cartridge_Photo_Paper_Kit_For_Kodak_EasyShare_Printer_Dock/4014-6447_9-30563628.html?tag=ob_50&orderby=50&sort=asc

    ----------------

    anyways, I'll let you do the cost per 4x6" print (inks + paper)
    yourself on all of these printers.

    eg. At least the Epson Picturemate calculation is easy -- 100pk
    refill that contains paper + ink sells for $21.10 at Dell.com today
    (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0428016&cs=19&c=us&l=en),
    so that equals a $0.21 per print cost.

    The lowest that you can usually get a 4x6" print in retail stores is
    at Costco for $0.19 per print, so you know right away that the Epson is
    doing very good in comparison, and probably the cheapest portable
    printer to operate today.

    What is the approximate print quantity (average snap shots at best
    quality) from the Photosmart 375 on Premium Glossy paper with the
    included #95 cartridge (7 ml)? And will the #97 cartridge (14 ml)
    print about twice as many?

    (I have asked HP via email on their web site and so far I've received
    8 idiot responses quoting cartridge page capacity for Officejet and
    Deskjet printers doing 15% coverage on mixed text and graphics
    documents. They just can't seem to understand that a photo printer
    uses ink quite differently.)

    What is different about the 700 package (other than the included
    paper)? Is the cartridge different from the 95 and 97 cartridges which
    are the specified cartridges for this printer?

    Dick Ballard
    ballardr@att.net

    "Dick Ballard" <ballardr@att.net> wrote in message

    > What is different about the 700 package (other than the included
    > paper)? Is the cartridge different from the 95 and 97 cartridges which
    > are the specified cartridges for this printer?

    The 700 cartridge has a different ID, and works only in the Photosmart 370 and
    320 series printers. It is otherwise the same as the 97 cartridge. On average
    I would expect about 150 4"x6" full bleed prints from the 97 or 700 cartridge,
    but of course it will depend on what you are printing. Snow scenes will get
    much more, Fourth of July fireworks less.

    Regards,
  12. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Hi Bob,

    Sorry to be coming in late on this issue, was off on vacation.

    Actually, the value of the dye sublimation printers have been reviewed by
    others, so it should be apparent that this technology, in relation to
    yielding better and prints that will be more protective of sticky fingers -
    can be washed off. Inkjet cannot be made wet without trouble. But, on the
    other hand, you can make prints cheaper with Inkjet than with dye
    sublimation.

    An alternative to both of these is having prints made at a printer for
    around .25 cents or so. You can get all the pictures together and send them
    on to Ofoto who will return them to you in a matter of a couple of days or
    so. You can then review and distribute to your class. Lots of fun and a
    project the kids may look forward to. Either way, Dye Sub, Inkjet, or
    photofinisher, your project sounds like fun. If you need the prints right
    away, then I would limit the number of pictures that can be made and go with
    the Dye Sub, even though the cost may be more. Pictures posted on a fridge
    may want to be shielded from splashes etc.

    Talk to you soon, Bob, let me know if you need any help with these
    technologies in the future.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "Bob Hayden" <bobhayden@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
    > take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in
    their
    > notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
    > cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these
    and
    > what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the
    Kodak
    > seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
    > efficient cost-wise as possible.

Printers Photo Cameras Epson Kodak Peripherals