memory allocation

a b } Memory
September 20, 2004 4:46:10 PM

hi all-

i am new to this medium though i am familiar with windows boxes...

i notice that i have 64 megs of memory and something called "internal
storage" is internal storage part of memory or an additional ammt (i have64
mgs of flash rom) as well.

the reason i ask this is that as i install more and more programs (even to
the external storage card) internal memory dwindles.

i know that in the palm world, one can create shortcuts to installed apps on
the card, thereby freeing up actual ram until it is needed.

it seems that merely installing st in the ppc world eats up ram. is there a
way to eliminate this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

charlie

More about : memory allocation

Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 20, 2004 6:32:15 PM

"cmf" <fergy@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> hi all-
>
> i am new to this medium though i am familiar with windows boxes...
>
> i notice that i have 64 megs of memory and something called "internal
> storage" is internal storage part of memory or an additional ammt (i
have64
> mgs of flash rom) as well.
>
> the reason i ask this is that as i install more and more programs (even to
> the external storage card) internal memory dwindles.
>
> i know that in the palm world, one can create shortcuts to installed apps
on
> the card, thereby freeing up actual ram until it is needed.
>
> it seems that merely installing st in the ppc world eats up ram. is there
> way to eliminate this?
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> charlie

programs aren't closed down when you move from them. try going to the
control panel and shutting all programs down, or try a soft reset to see how
much memory is really there.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 20, 2004 6:32:16 PM

that was not what i asked:

is there a way to install programs with "shortcuts" so that the actual
program is on the card while the shortcut occupies memory? it seems palms
can do far more with far less memory
"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "cmf" <fergy@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> hi all-
>>
>> i am new to this medium though i am familiar with windows boxes...
>>
>> i notice that i have 64 megs of memory and something called "internal
>> storage" is internal storage part of memory or an additional ammt (i
> have64
>> mgs of flash rom) as well.
>>
>> the reason i ask this is that as i install more and more programs (even
>> the external storage card) internal memory dwindles.
>>
>> i know that in the palm world, one can create shortcuts to installed apps
> on
>> the card, thereby freeing up actual ram until it is needed.
>>
>> it seems that merely installing st in the ppc world eats up ram. is
>> there
>> way to eliminate this?
>>
>> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> charlie
>>

> programs aren't closed down when you move from them. try going to the
> control panel and shutting all programs down, or try a soft reset to see
> how
> much memory is really there.

a b } Memory
September 20, 2004 6:32:17 PM

Hello,

Yes, you can do what you are asking. Generally speaking, when you install a
new application via ActiveSync, you will be prompted if you want to install
the application in its default location. This 99.9% of the time is
referring to your Pocket PCs main memory. If you select now, a dialog box
will be presented with a pull down menu which will allow you to put the
application itself on the storage card. Once the application is installed,
again as a general rule, a shortcut will be created in your Programs menu to
that application.

If you need to manually create a shortcut to an application, that can be
done as well in File Explorer. Go to the application on your storage card
then tap-and-hold the executable. Select copy on the menu, then move to the
directory or location you want the shortcut to be. Tap-and-hold in this new
directory and select Create Shortcut.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Kind Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews

"cmf" <fergy@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:p 7B3d.492$mH1.843384@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> that was not what i asked:
>
> is there a way to install programs with "shortcuts" so that the actual
> program is on the card while the shortcut occupies memory? it seems palms
> can do far more with far less memory
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "cmf" <fergy@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> hi all-
>>>
>>> i am new to this medium though i am familiar with windows boxes...
>>>
>>> i notice that i have 64 megs of memory and something called "internal
>>> storage" is internal storage part of memory or an additional ammt (i
>> have64
>>> mgs of flash rom) as well.
>>>
>>> the reason i ask this is that as i install more and more programs (even
>>> the external storage card) internal memory dwindles.
>>>
>>> i know that in the palm world, one can create shortcuts to installed
>>> apps
>> on
>>> the card, thereby freeing up actual ram until it is needed.
>>>
>>> it seems that merely installing st in the ppc world eats up ram. is
>>> there
>>> way to eliminate this?
>>>
>>> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> charlie
>>>

>> programs aren't closed down when you move from them. try going to the
>> control panel and shutting all programs down, or try a soft reset to see
>> how
>> much memory is really there.

Anonymous
a b } Memory