EA Wanted Valve Software for Over $1 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Am sure there will be few offended but IMO Valve has much more of real Intellectual property than EA. By buying them out it would just destroy the brand. I love Valve and always did since 199x when HL first came out. EA has been always for the crowds who well.. lets be honest not always were the smartest gamers - kids, teens, trigger happy ones etc. Have just finished Crysis 1 and 2 - what a pile of overhyped rubbish. Don't get me started on NFS franchise etc etc..

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Honestly, the saddest thing to happen to the Battlefield series was when EA bought DICE.
Before that, we could actually mod the game.....and get free maps from the community and Developer.......and more maps from each expansion pack we purchase.....instead of just 4

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Honestly, the saddest thing to happen to the Battlefield series was when EA bought DICE.Before that, we could actually mod the game.....and get free maps from the community and Developer.......and more maps from each expansion pack we purchase.....instead of just 4[/citation]

The mod tools for the early Battlefield games were developed by the community after reverse engineering the game data itself. They were not officially supported by DICE

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
If EA had acquired Valve I would have stopped playing video games. If EA acquires them in the future I'll stop playing video games. EA does nothing but run good ideas into the ground and browbeat industry talent.

Good job, Gabe.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
EA just needs to leave Valve alone. Period. Valve is a developer, they know how to treat gamers. EA (by itself) is just a publisher, they only know money.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I said this once on other site. I will smash my pc to pieces and throw everything related to gaming out in trash if this ever happen.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Am sure there will be few offended but IMO Valve has much more of real Intellectual property than EA. By buying them out it would just destroy the brand. I love Valve and always did since 199x when HL first came out. EA has been always for the crowds who well.. lets be honest not always were the smartest gamers - kids, teens, trigger happy ones etc. Have just finished Crysis 1 and 2 - what a pile of overhyped rubbish. Don't get me started on NFS franchise etc etc..[/citation]

I really disagree with your point on Crysis 1. That was a fantastic game! Also, the NFS franchise was a all out balls to the wall fun series too. LASTLY, I didn't know you had to be smart to game either, considering this superb sentence you had to type out made no sense whatsoever "lets be honest not always were the smartest gamers".

Matter of fact, your whole paragraph is incomplete English just like those "pesky trigger happy youngsters on Xbox". etc etc etc etc lol

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Wow, now that's real resolve. Valve was always among those game companies that became hugely successful without compromising their dignity, creativity, and commitment to the community. What they are and what they stand for in the industry is something I really appreciate.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I used to love EA... key words - "used to". I don't anymore. When they first started they were all about making great games. And they succeeded. Then somewhere along the line, things slowly began to change and it stopped being about the games and started being more about the money. Then they started gobbling up the smaller developers that were doing different things with success. Now they just a large conglomerate money-making machine. I wish them nothing but the worst unless they can change that mentality.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Am sure there will be few offended but IMO Valve has much more of real Intellectual property than EA. By buying them out it would just destroy the brand. I love Valve and always did since 199x when HL first came out. EA has been always for the crowds who well.. lets be honest not always were the smartest gamers - kids, teens, trigger happy ones etc. Have just finished Crysis 1 and 2 - what a pile of overhyped rubbish. Don't get me started on NFS franchise etc etc..[/citation]

crysis 1 wasn't over hyped, it was always look at these graphics... the game play is good, but look at the screen
crysis 2 was always looked at as inferior to 1 game play wise, but had a better engine.

need for speed, recent years, has some good games... the two underground ones were fun, and hot pursuit, and that one that went closer to sim, those were also good.

im not defending them, but you have 2 games and a franchise that arent horrible listed, when ea has done far FAR worse things to gameing.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]I used to love EA... key words - "used to". I don't anymore. When they first started they were all about making great games. And they succeeded. Then somewhere along the line, things slowly began to change and it stopped being about the games and started being more about the money. Then they started gobbling up the smaller developers that were doing different things with success. Now they just a large conglomerate money-making machine. I wish them nothing but the worst unless they can change that mentality.[/citation]

look at westwood, they were one of the better devs of their time, they go acquired by ea, gutted, and franchises went on as zombies for a long time.

that was when ea went from ok to evil for me.

than they started to make good on past missgiveing a few years back when they put out new franchises, like dead space, and that (dont want sanction) it all away when they screwed over battlefield and bioware.

Status
Not open for further replies.