dorion

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
So it's all dandy right now we have AMD lagging behind in the PaperWars. Intel still doesn't have it lead though. We'll probably see the "King of CPUs" throne switch between Intel and AMD atleast a couple time in the coming year or two. But I'm not looking there I'm looking ahead thanks to my brain putting two and two together. That is why I am predicting the name of AMDs next generation socket!(no not the AM2 what do I think I am?) It shall be called AM3... brilliant don't you think AM2 uses DDR2... so AM3 uses what type of memory?

Ok also something not based on fact but pure speculation. AM3 is going to come out as soon as prices on DDR3 become reasonable, why take the time to get used to DDR2 when its on it's way out. This way AMD can concentrate on one type of memory across all of its markets for a long time, just like it did with DDR(pats his AMD Athlon XP 1800+).

Oh and Intel going to be doing big things but I'm not yet sure if I should fear the Conroe.

mpjesse

Splendid
I guess you missed the news about AMD (possibly) licensing Rambus's XDR technology. For sure they're licensing DDR2, DDR3, and PCI-E technology.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060103080240.html

AMD probably wants to keep it's options open regarding DDR3 and XDR. My speculation is this: clearly Dell wants to go with 1 memory technology (DDR2) for all their systems; that way they get excellent quantity pricing which would improve their margins. This is also probably one of the major reasons Dell has taken so long to sell AMD based systems. If Socket AM2 AMD based Dell computers take off 2H of '06, AMD may be forced to use whatever the hell Intel will be using- which is probably DDR3.

Who knows?

-mpjesse

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, certainly AMD should fear Conroe. Two reasons come to mind. First is, its a new processor from Intel, their biggest rival. Any new chip is certainly going to bring some sort of uncertainty for AMD. It may not take the throne from AMD but I believe it will level the playing field.

Secondly, its already been noted that the pentium M runs much more efficient than anything Intel has ever put out. Its also been shown that is runs more efficient than AMDs current lineup. Conroe is based off of the Pentium M platform so that in itself will raise an eyebrow or two at the AMD camp.