Shortcut to a shortcut

Hi all

For version control reasons, I want to issue different
Excel spreadsheets to users, e.g. v3.29.xls, v3.30.xls,
etc.

I have created a shortcut to the latest version in the
directory, with a common name. I wanted to link to this
shortcut from the Start menu, but of course, a shortcut
to a shortcut is not allowed.

How do I create a file that I can refer to from the start
menu, that I can replace on a user's hard drive, together
with a new Excel workbook version?

The alternative is to standardise on the workbook name,
but because this is a work-in-progress still, I would
prefer that the user can see by the filename what version
he is using, not just from text within the workbook.

Regards

Paul
4 answers Last reply
More about shortcut shortcut

    Paul Vermeulen wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > For version control reasons, I want to issue different
    > Excel spreadsheets to users, e.g. v3.29.xls, v3.30.xls,
    > etc.
    >
    > I have created a shortcut to the latest version in the
    > directory, with a common name. I wanted to link to this
    > shortcut from the Start menu, but of course, a shortcut
    > to a shortcut is not allowed.
    >
    > How do I create a file that I can refer to from the start
    > menu, that I can replace on a user's hard drive, together
    > with a new Excel workbook version?
    >
    > The alternative is to standardise on the workbook name,
    > but because this is a work-in-progress still, I would
    > prefer that the user can see by the filename what version
    > he is using, not just from text within the workbook.

    Create a small vbsript or simple batch program that launches the correct
    excel spreadsheet. If using a batch file it need only contain a single
    command:

    @start v3.30.xls

    I would recommend that you set the properties on the shortcut to start
    minimized, otherwise they will see the command window pop up on their
    screen before the spreadsheet appears. As soon as Excel is launched the
    command window should close automatically.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP MCE

    Hi Tom

    Thank you very much for your reply. I am not a VB man,
    but DOS and batch files I do understand (giving away my
    age here!). One more question for you: The directory name
    and file name both contain spaces, so here is what I have
    tried:
    1) @START Model v3.30.xls
    2) @START "Model v3.30.xls"
    3) @START "c:\Program Files\Model Files\Model v3.30.xls"
    4) START "c:\Program Files\Model Files\Model v3.30.xls"

    All of these result in a DOS window being opened, with
    the name that I gave after the START command, the
    directory in the DOS window is c:\Program Files\Model
    Files\, but nothing else happens.

    The reason without the "@" in number 4 is because I
    searched for batchfile commands, and found two sites
    suggesting the use of "START" without "@".

    Any more ideas? We are close, I believe!

    Regards

    Paul
    SNIP
    >Create a small vbsript or simple batch program that
    launches the correct
    >excel spreadsheet. If using a batch file it need only
    contain a single
    >command:
    >
    >@start v3.30.xls

    SNIP

    Paul Vermeulen wrote:
    > Hi Tom
    >
    > Thank you very much for your reply. I am not a VB man,
    > but DOS and batch files I do understand (giving away my
    > age here!). One more question for you: The directory name
    > and file name both contain spaces, so here is what I have
    > tried:
    > 1) @START Model v3.30.xls
    > 2) @START "Model v3.30.xls"
    > 3) @START "c:\Program Files\Model Files\Model v3.30.xls"
    > 4) START "c:\Program Files\Model Files\Model v3.30.xls"
    >
    > All of these result in a DOS window being opened, with
    > the name that I gave after the START command, the
    > directory in the DOS window is c:\Program Files\Model
    > Files\, but nothing else happens.
    >
    > The reason without the "@" in number 4 is because I
    > searched for batchfile commands, and found two sites
    > suggesting the use of "START" without "@".
    >
    > Any more ideas? We are close, I believe!

    The @ sign simply tells the command processor not to echo the command
    back. With the spaces and all, using start may not work for you.
    Instead, you can just enter the full path to the file. Ex:

    @"C:\Program Files\Model Files\Model v3.30.xls"

    That will open the file by its default association, in this case Excel
    if installed.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP MCE

    Thank you Tom. Works like a charm.

    Regards

    Paul
    >Instead, you can just enter the full path to the file.
    Ex:

    >@"C:\Program Files\Model Files\Model v3.30.xls"
    >
    >That will open the file by its default association, in
    this case Excel
    >if installed.
    >--
    >Tom Porterfield