Mom's Opty 175 and Dady's x2 4800+

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Now if you are making judgments based on what you have heard of Opteron, you better think again. Originally I was gonna buy an Intel presler because we love Pentium :wink: and I was pretty excited about new 65nm technology.
My happiness ended when the benchmarks on TG and etc. made me change my mind. I didn’t want to be a luzer after all and I decided to cut the budget on 4GB RAM and get an x2 4400. I didn't think again and I ordered my 4400+ , Asus A8N32-SLI ,Raptor 74GB, 7800 GT 256 and 2GB or RAM. I couldn’t be happier when I put them together, it was really FAST. But again my happiness ended when I read (mostly from here) Opteron 175 does a better job like a x2 4800. I paid the re-stocking fee returned the CPU and got one. Short story: I ordered my x2 4800 today and never gonna go through overclocking- cooling- trial-error-restart-maybe-isntcpu-no-it-Iscpu again. I don't wanna say Opteron was a bad CPU but do not expect 2 much out of it. Remember most of people who are recommending it don’t even know what color it is. Wait for some reliable benchmarks.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Well the Opterons are better on paper--but fact of the matter is they are designed for SERVERS, not desktop PCs. In fact I haven't asked but--do Opterons even have all of those gaming extensions such as the extended 3DNow! and such? What makes them perform less than the Athlon 64s in games since all the specs imply it should be better?

Anybody?

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
YES they do, they are EXACTLY like X2's (the 165, 170, 175 and 180 S939's that is) except they run at lower voltages and therefor overclock higher and run cooler. The 175 is the EXACT same CPU speed wise as a 4400+ but it runs at a lower voltage an d has a higher max CPU clock. Its a slightly higher price but when you OC, its worth it. If you arnt gonna OC, then the X2 will be cheaper by a small bit.

hide

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
This whole thing is absurd.....

The opteron 165 has every instruction set that any A64 3000-3700+ has (3700+ was the last single core A64 right???).

Its clock at 1.8ghz and has 200mhz FSB with a mulit of 9.

Say for instance the 3700+... has 2.2ghz with 200 FSB and multi of 11..

Both have same instruction sets... and when you OC both to 2.5ghz the opty walks away the victor. Simply for having 2 cores whilst the SD despite having same cache ammounts just cant keep up.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
From what I learned I needed a better board like Asus A8N32-SLI Premium (cooling pipe...) or Tyan server boards to obtain stable overclocked performance. But the resulting price difference of these boards didn't justify buying opty 175 instead of 4800+ where no OC is needed.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
No uber boards are required for a good OC on an opty. A DFI Lanparty would suffice, or an ASUS A8NE would also do the trick. Any mobo that allows has memory divider would do fine (wouldnt matter if you have fast ram)

The 4800+ is 2.4 ghz stock and the opty 165 is 1.8

The opty 165 should easily OC to 2.4 ghz with no voltage or cooling changes necessary. And at that speed should compete with the X2 4800+ pretty much head to head... except its half the price.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
No uber boards are required for a good OC on an opty. A DFI Lanparty would suffice, or an ASUS A8NE would also do the trick. Any mobo that allows has memory divider would do fine (wouldnt matter if you have fast ram)

The 4800+ is 2.4 ghz stock and the opty 165 is 1.8

The opty 165 should easily OC to 2.4 ghz with no voltage or cooling changes necessary. And at that speed should compete with the X2 4800+ pretty much head to head... except its half the price.

Well I had the same paper-based idea weeks ago. I appreciate if you bring some benchmarks to document your word. Maybe I did it wrong (air cooling?)

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Remember most of people who are recommending it don’t even know what color it is..
its green the x2 is dark grean the fx is black the reguler athlon 64 is orange and the sempron is green and white the athlon xp is black and green the duron is black green and white so ya i do know what color it is :p

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
its green the x2 is dark grean the fx is black the reguler athlon 64 is orange and the sempron is green and white the athlon xp is black and green the duron is black green and white so ya i do know what color it is Razz
:lol: lolz Did you notice it said the image is for display purposes only?!

But general speaking somebody who's sitting where the chip doesn't arrive even a year after it is released in the US can't give paper-based reviews looking at the numbers.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
ok the true color of all amd chips on socket 754 939 and 940(the color on the procs themselves not the lables)its silver for the heatspreader green for the silicon and gold for the pins!

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Alot of ppl say that the Asus boards aren't that great for OCing but rather being rock-stable, that might be it. Maybe you have poor airflow in your case? Also chips are actually all unique and you might have gotten a lemon.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new chip.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
In fact I haven't asked but--do Opterons even have all of those gaming extensions such as the extended 3DNow!

I just read what you posted. There is no 3dNow for Opteron based on AMD webpage simply because they do not expect people'd be palying on server machines.

Check it out!

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I'm getting from newegg has it

I remember newegg had marked Hyperthreading feature for Pentium D Smithfeild when it first came out while it goes only for EE edition. this is newegg marketing trick. Simply call AMD and ask. It might support it after all.

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Nah, the burden of proof is on you. You're one talking shit about the Opty after failing to OC it. You call them. All the AMD chips I've owned have had 3D now since I started buying them in like '95. They just don't put it on the website cuz its not exciting to server builders.
I remember newegg had marked Hyperthreading feature for Pentium D Smithfeild when it first came out while it goes only for EE edition. this is newegg marketing trick.
As much as Intel hypes up thier chip releases, and as trustworthy as newegg is, I'd have to say no. It was probably an oversight or "vanishing feature" on Intel's part.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
You're one talking shit about the Opty after failing to OC it.

I am not talking shit dude, I shared this only to help. Now if you are excited with your Opteron on the way and don't want it to be ruined that's another story.

not exciting to server builders.
And you newbie gamer expect gaming performance out of it! Do you think it is made for gaming?! Good luck with it.

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
And you newbie gamer expect gaming performance out of it! Do you think it is made for gaming?! Good luck with it.
Where did you get that I'm a newbie? The chip is only a bottleneck in gaming with stupidly written games like BF2 anyway. Once I pass 50 fps I really don't care what my cpu can do. If my opty comes and sucks I'll be really surprised, but I'll just send it back.

As for 'made for gaming' that logic is flawed. Unless you can somehow prove your assertion that the chips are actually materially different. You are extrapolating your failed OC experiment and the AMD website into what you believe is the truth about the 2 chips. That's fine, but just remember that part about the color of the chips and people talking about stuff they don't know about. Cuz you are doing the same thing judging by the links you are providing.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
AMD website if is not the only it is the most reliable source to refer to. It is just absurd to expect neweeg'd be better informed than Intel and AMD about their own products.

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
AMD website if is not the only it is the most reliable source to refer to. It is just absurd to expect neweeg'd be better informed than Intel and AMD about their own products.

Yeah my assertions are absurd. Meanwhile you are in an untenable position and offering nothing to back it up but the fact that the instrution set isn't mentioned on the terse blurb you found. Here's a few back-ups for Opty having 3dnow: http://balusc.xs4all.nl/srv/har-cpu-amd-k8.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron
Edit: look here, it's in black and white on thier data sheet http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_9003,00.html?redir=CPQR02

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I have an Opteron 148 and i currently run it at 270 X 11 speed on an Abit motherboard ( AN8 SLI ). I got the board from a local retailer for $90 with a $35 mail in rebate on it. The set up was absolutely fast and stable. It was a little tricky to set it up because overclocking AMD cpu requires you to change settings on several different pages in the bios at the same time. Take your time and read more about it, and you will be well reward. FX-57 speed for around $300 is a deal. And I even use Kingston value rams too. Now I want an Opteron 165 instead :D

TRENDING THREADS