CPU Power Connection On MSI Motherboard

Gr8NRG

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Didn't know whether this came under "Homebuilt Systems" or "Motherboards" because my question pertains to both. Building a new PC and purchased the new K8N Diamond Plus. For a power supply, bought an Antec SmartPower 2.0. One of the connections to the motherboard is a 12v power connection "used to provide power to the CPU". It requires an eight pin connector with various square and semi-round holes, however, neither MSI nor Antec furnished such a connector. I emailed Microstar but they never replied. Any suggestions, recommendations, thoughts would be appreciated.

joemgp

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
You need an ATX 2.2 compliant power supply in order to power MSI K8N Diamond Plus. I would recommend Enermax ELT500AWT, for it's full compliance with ATX 2.2 standard and modular cable design.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's an EPS12v connector. It follows the same spec as the ATX12v connector, but with twice as many pins. You can look at pictures from Newegg to see which power supplies offer the 8-pin version of the 4-pin header, many offer a connector that can be split from 8-pins into 4-pins.

You might be able to use a 4-pin ATX12v connector in the same location. The pins are shaped so the connector will only fit in the "correct" way.