Sign in with
Your question

CPU Power Connection On New Motherboard

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2006 10:48:23 PM

Didn't know whether this came under "Homebuilt Systems" or "Motherboards" because my question pertains to both. Maybe one of you who are using the same motherboard has the answer. Building a new PC and purchased the new K8N Diamond Plus. For a power supply, bought an Antec SmartPower 2.0. One of the connections to the motherboard is a 12v power connection "used to provide power to the CPU". It requires an eight pin connector with various square and semi-round holes, however, neither MSI nor Antec furnished such a connector. I emailed Microstar but they never replied. Any suggestions, recommendations, thoughts would be appreciated.
February 13, 2006 11:48:27 PM

Hi!

For Cpu power the MSI MB have a 8 pin socket (strange since it's not a dual cpu mb). Smartpower 2.0 only sport a 4 pin connector to the cpu.

That 4 pin connector will fit in somewere in the 8 pin socket, I don't know how important it is to have all the connectors. But it's always good to follow the motherboards design.

I reacently bought a Antec Neo HE 500W. It does have the 8 pin connector and is working great, so if you can, exchange your PSU. Otherwise and at your own risk, try using just the 4 pin connector.

Good Luck!
!