CPU Power Connection On New Motherboard

Gr8NRG

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Didn't know whether this came under "Homebuilt Systems" or "Motherboards" because my question pertains to both. Maybe one of you who are using the same motherboard has the answer. Building a new PC and purchased the new K8N Diamond Plus. For a power supply, bought an Antec SmartPower 2.0. One of the connections to the motherboard is a 12v power connection "used to provide power to the CPU". It requires an eight pin connector with various square and semi-round holes, however, neither MSI nor Antec furnished such a connector. I emailed Microstar but they never replied. Any suggestions, recommendations, thoughts would be appreciated.

Ningenpo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi!

For Cpu power the MSI MB have a 8 pin socket (strange since it's not a dual cpu mb). Smartpower 2.0 only sport a 4 pin connector to the cpu.

That 4 pin connector will fit in somewere in the 8 pin socket, I don't know how important it is to have all the connectors. But it's always good to follow the motherboards design.

I reacently bought a Antec Neo HE 500W. It does have the 8 pin connector and is working great, so if you can, exchange your PSU. Otherwise and at your own risk, try using just the 4 pin connector.

Good Luck!