Kevvinz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Until the last month or so, my computer has been freezing and just randomly the mouse and keyboard would not work, while the computer was still running. When I restarted the computer, the problem still persisted... I would leave it off and after a couple hours it would work.These problems only occured in games.

Though that stopped happening about a month ago, but now I have a ton of lag in all games. It isn't performing close to what it used to. I have run spyware and virus scans, and came up with nothing... Fans are all on...

here are my specs...

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4ghz

1536MB ram

Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 256mb

I run on windows XP.

Thanks in advance,

-Kevin

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, for starters, I would pull one of those sticks of RAM off the board. If the board runs dual channel and you've got three sticks, it more than likely will cause problems. Even if you have two sticks 1X1 and 1X512, remove one or the other and see how the machine operates.

What kind of PSU do you have and hold old is it? Maybe its decided to go bad. What kind of a board do you have and do you overclock? It sounds like something is going bad in the machine, something is not adjusted right in the BIOS settings or something is throttling your system due to heat. Try cleaning out the case thoroughly. Get rid of all dust and make sure all the fans are running.

Kevvinz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
All the fans are running, BIOS settings are fine. I have 4 slots for ram, 2x256 and 2x512.

Possibly something broken with vid card?

Running 3 sticks of memory? Some boards won't work properly with 3. I'd pull one and run just 2 in dual channel mode. If that doesn't fix your freezes, try memtest, a free download to check for errors.

Kevvinz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
The freezes and crap stopped, now im just getting rediculous lag... I ran 3dmark05 and am getting like 2fps.