Considering eVGA mobo for my leap to PCI-e, any thoughts?

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
OK, so I'm upgrading my system and they have these EVGA mobos over at newegg for free when you buy a certain 7800gt. The reviews over there are mostly good with a very few not so good reviews.

Here's my Newegg wishlist. Anyone have any experience with eVGA mobos or have any suggestions on how I would more wisely spend my money? To be honest I can't see the difference between some of the vid card specs, but I assume that the eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N518 Video Card - Retail is somehow alot better then the eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N515-AX Desktop PC - Retail? (like $60-$70 worth better?)

Any other thoughts on my build are welcome as well. I use my pc for gaming and I'm used to MSI mobos (last 4-5 times I've used MSI).

judey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
looks like a pretty sweet deal, if this was available a month ago i probably would have snatched it up myself.

the only difference between the two cards that I can see is they come with different cables n what not in the box.

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah, $60 worth of cables huh? I dunno. If they are as identical as they look I might go with a lan party or asus sli board instead. On reading the reviews deeper that eVGA mainboard looks a bit troublesome.

techiemonkey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
get an asus or something that motherboard is supposedly troublesome but for free might aswell see if your system would run stable on it

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
get an asus or something that motherboard is supposedly troublesome but for free might aswell see if your system would run stable on it

Yes... luck with this mobo has been very random... either you get a good one... or a very unstable one.

Go for it... it's free... if it becomes a hassle, and you don't want to play the RMA game... just pick up something else.