Start up delay since installing network card

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I have installed a Intel PRO/100B network card and am using the win98 drivers. Since installing it has slowed the post and startup of my computer dramatically. I have a Duron 800mhz processor with nornaly flies. Thanks for any help - DEL

"Remember that after great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the same problem too, but with w2k. I think it's normal because it has to establish connections you put... just to register itself on the network.

------------------
This site is cool.

G

Are you using DHCP? If you're using a static IP address, you should be able to turn off (disable) the DHCP from within your NIC's properties (easier to do with w2k, but I think it's also possible for Win9x). DHCP will wait for a server to assign your PC with an IP address. If it's static, then this is a waste of time. Also take out any protocols that you don't use (like IPX or whatever) and you should notice a bit of a speed-up. But there will always be some delay (as it takes a bit of time to establish connections).

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Is the machine actually connected to a network?

I suffered the same problem when running two machines networked with a crossover cable.

Now I have a hub installed the delay is reduced if not eliminated.

G

I have the same problem with an intel card. I think it is because you can boot the pc from the LAN, and the card is looking to see if this is going to happen. Or something like that!!
My PC says that the network card is starting the intel boot manager or something similar.

I have another network card in my other PC and it does not have any boot delay, so you could try and get hold of a different network card.

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try to assign a static ip adress to your NIC (169.254.134.*), the slowdown is caused by your card seeking for a DHCP server.

Hope that helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Thanx Brain Storm
I assigned a static IP address and it works fine now
Cheers

"Remember that after great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"