Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

High alert in U.S. after suspicious packages found in UK

Last response: in News & Leisure
Share
October 29, 2010 6:45:20 PM

Quote:
Looks like Al-Queda is at it again


UPS: "What's in the package.

US: "Electronics RMA.

UPS: "Is it worth more than $100?"

US: "Nah, it was broken when I received it. I got it working, but decided to RMA it anyway."

"Handle with care."






October 29, 2010 7:55:03 PM

Could be nothing, could be part of some assembly that would be put together in it's final destination. Luckily that was the US.
Related resources
October 29, 2010 8:06:46 PM

I am home on vacation listening to the broadcasts. There's a few nuggets of serious news, but mostly the talking heads are just filling airtime.
October 29, 2010 8:30:48 PM

Quote:
Luckily that was the US.


You won't get far with me making a statement like that.

There were explosives in the package. The U.S. will stand another day to fight your battles for you.
October 29, 2010 8:31:25 PM

jsc said:
I am home on vacation listening to the broadcasts. There's a few nuggets of serious news, but mostly the talking heads are just filling airtime.


The talking heads are out in force to be sure.
October 29, 2010 8:56:02 PM

O yes, the news networks are all over it.

The president stated that the packages found in both the UK and Dubai were indeed filled with an explosive substance. They were headed to or at least addressed to 2 synagogues in Chicago. So, it wasn't a "dry run" or a part of devices that were to be assembled later.

What a mess.
October 29, 2010 9:32:26 PM

Hmm, read that as they did not contain any explosive material.

October 29, 2010 10:13:55 PM

Oh, Im sure thisll be questioned if it contained explosives
Just like people enkoy blowing up tjeir own buildings, as the ones that say theres certain things you cant mention about certain people, while maintaining theyre the ones protecting freedom of speech

If this is news to anyone here, or should I say a surprise, wake up, they want to kill us, you too SS
October 30, 2010 1:02:24 AM

Any one else thing this is too much of a coincidence after the Brits complained about too much US security?
October 30, 2010 1:11:18 AM

Or, who needs missiles when you have large jets that no one stops?
October 30, 2010 9:11:13 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Any one else thing this is too much of a coincidence after the Brits complained about too much US security?


I know what you mean and the idea of a set up to instilll fear is a common used tactic. It is like a "security" firm who offers protection adfter a series of reported breakins or fights in a club or something. They will mysteriously stop when the firm is employed.
October 30, 2010 12:55:11 PM

So, our governments have gone mafia tactics?
Whats their motive?
More jobs?
Higher taxes?

Or, if we stop 9,999 of 10,000 tries, the 1 that gets thru is a tragedy
October 30, 2010 5:14:31 PM

A Halloween message for the people responsible.

Attention: DO NOT even Please trick or treat this man's house.

October 30, 2010 5:36:59 PM

The motive is control and power JD, as is everything with government. Take a look at all the BS that has happend this past decade. Nothing new has occured, just another terrorist attack. The difference was who it happened to.

The world got on fine before this happened but it not as fine after.
October 30, 2010 5:51:03 PM

I wonder if tha Spaniards have forgotten as well?
Or do they also think its a governmental conspiracy, and that were all just gettin along peachy like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombing...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Madrid_train_bombings

I understand what youre saying, but I also think youre denying history, recent history, considering world getting along fine thing
Now, if we wish to go beyond the Iraq war, or the gulf war, or even Israel, we can, and since this is typical of those whove targeted the west, Im not sure were just fine, then before then, or now
October 30, 2010 9:23:51 PM

What I meant was that terrorist attacks have happened before now but they didn't seem to create all this hoohah that this one single attack did.

As far as I am aware the changes that have come into affect have had more impact on ordinary people's lives than any other before it.

Indeed, I would say it is the wars that have stopped there being more attacks on western countries. It isn't to think why that would be.
October 30, 2010 9:28:01 PM

You seem very anti American. And the ideas you call reasons for your spit are a product of your arse.
Edit for special effects.
October 30, 2010 9:36:04 PM

Aliens will be making an appearance. Ready your arse.
October 30, 2010 9:44:37 PM

Im just wondering, what itll be next? First it was Israel, then the US.
Maybe if we just let them all be, they would no longer have motive, like control and power.
Certainly, those people would just stop.
Theyd stop blowing themselves up alongside innocent people
Theyd stop just because we said were sorry, and wont get invilved.
Theyd stop because, wed admit theyre right to blow up innocent people, and we just dont understand
Theyd quit if we just gave them a chance to do so

Now, what was that you were saying SS?
October 30, 2010 10:03:04 PM

Attention Morons People of Scotland. Run.





October 30, 2010 10:03:45 PM

Wouldnt life be grander if there werent any of this messy terrorism?
Enjoying the outdoors, seeing the wild animals, such as this woodchuck in a kilt

Hopefully, we will all be able to board our planes, cross our borders, make it better for the older people, n the kids,if we just think these thoughts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0&feature=rela...
October 30, 2010 10:06:18 PM

That's just it, you can't stop these things froms happening, no amount of security checks and measures will ever stop these things from happening. Not saying don't try, but just don't try to the extent that it affects the ordinary person.

October 30, 2010 10:08:33 PM

LMAO! Now that's funny. Thanks.

SS doesn't get it.

\,,/

October 30, 2010 10:13:49 PM

sans kilt, the Scottish military unleashes its secret weapon against terrorism
October 30, 2010 10:19:12 PM

He has the right to every last dollar we have issued since 1776. Not.

October 30, 2010 10:51:24 PM

Isnt it funny how people who want a larger government, want higher taxes, hate corporations, and want a redistribution of wealth for all peoples are the ones doubting terrorism, its abilities, and how we should call it, name it, and to whom its responsible in the first place?
Maybe they need to look and see who has power and control over them?

Its not as if we wouldnt have to protect ourselves, and also, if something horrible was to happen right after we relax our abilities to defend ourselves, those very people would turn on their masters
October 31, 2010 3:59:31 AM

badge said:
Quote:
Looks like Al-Queda is at it again


UPS: "What's in the package.

US: "Electronics RMA.

UPS: "Is it worth more than $100?"

US: "Nah, it was broken when I received it. I got it working, but decided to RMA it anyway."

"Handle with care."

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4756/p235633052007320456traj.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8611/xray1lovie.jpg




Guess your are an expert at receiving broke products.

What does you post have to do with National Security?
October 31, 2010 4:08:46 AM

I charge for answers to these kinds of questions.
October 31, 2010 4:10:43 AM

What do you think you are, a Doctor?
October 31, 2010 4:14:21 AM

A painter.

October 31, 2010 7:33:21 AM

Nice substantial replies I see.
October 31, 2010 8:30:56 AM

I am just glad nobody got hurt.

PETN is a nasty (but very stable) commercial explosive most often used as a primer charge (with a suitable det) to ensure slower VoD (but very gaseous) slurry explosives detonate properly ... shifting plenty of rock / material.

It has a VoD of around 7000 to 7500 ms as opposed to Gely (3500) based products and slower slurries (ANFO) 2500ms.

Basically the same as military grade slabs ... though doesn't often ship in KG lots - mostly 30 - 450 gm booster charges or in detonator cord (10gms per metre) or shear cord (40gms per metre).

I am glad they got caught.

ICI or Dupont still made a dollar nevertheless.
November 6, 2010 9:05:25 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I wonder if tha Spaniards have forgotten as well?
Or do they also think its a governmental conspiracy, and that were all just gettin along peachy like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombing...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Madrid_train_bombings

I understand what youre saying, but I also think youre denying history, recent history, considering world getting along fine thing
Now, if we wish to go beyond the Iraq war, or the gulf war, or even Israel, we can, and since this is typical of those whove targeted the west, Im not sure were just fine, then before then, or now


So ETA who are basically fighting a civil war for freedom of their own homeland should be a US target too?

By that judgement and current US standards anybody who ever game money to Shin Fien in the past should be extradited to the UK to face prosecution. Don't come back with any USA is a special case bollox, it's that sort of Hippocratic stance that created so much of the mess we have today.
November 6, 2010 9:13:25 PM

No, what Im saying is, killing innocencts is very wrong, no matter who you are, or what your cause
Not hard to figure
These individuals are selfish, at the highest levels

To deny or sympathize isnt in the mindset of the victims
November 6, 2010 9:17:19 PM

badge said:
You call this progress? Scotland's only municipal bus company stoops to new lows. Now we know why Scots will always be the inferior people of their region. What a bunch of idiots.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/weird-news/2010/05/25...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothian_Buses


What in the name of all things terrorist has this got to do with anything, even trying to take the piss out of a scotts man?

The first link is about a company recycling lost property on a bus - something I can only assume those supper smart arse septics never experience as their property was seized by the security officer when they were at the fully body scanner before boarding the bus in the first case? That or on finding a lost item they just nuke the bus from orbit to be on the safe side perhaps?

As for the second link what new low would that be? The UK underwent deregulation of almost all markets back in the days of the Iron Lady. Most of the country is now served by Stagecoach who have monopolised the market and forced out the remaining municipals and independents by undercutting them, only to subsequently hike up fairs by as much as 100% in some cases. They are also apparently a lovely bunch of people to work for and have never ever been up in court for breach of various employment laws. A lovely example of capitalism in a non regulated environment making life better for all?

November 6, 2010 9:18:09 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
No, what Im saying is, killing innocencts is very wrong, no matter who you are, or what your cause
Not hard to figure
These individuals are selfish, at the highest levels

To deny or sympathize isnt in the mindset of the victims


And the USA came to be how exactly?
November 6, 2010 9:27:28 PM

Ever heard of the tea party?
Taxation without representation?
No right to vote
Slaved to taxes
England blew it, abd used the US population
Red coats werent innocent, nor was sunday bloody sunday

So, the ETA wants Spain back?
They cant vote their ways into appeasement?
They cant elect thro democracy?

Sorry, killing innocents wont work
The red coats, indians and hessians England payed for werent innocent, just incopetent
November 6, 2010 9:33:59 PM

Maybe the rest of the world doesnt understand the US, and no, this isnt a US is different concerning a special case, we just bring our guns
Ever notice that?
Not as in a threat, or threatening, just the facts
Dont mess with Texas exrends to our borders when it comes to foreign ideals, insane or not, as in killing innocents, or, a country hiring thugs to make sure we pay taxes without the simple right to vote
November 6, 2010 9:41:04 PM

The US wasnt a bunch of mamby pambies, sitting back in society
We all took our chances to get here, and is why the illegal alien problem is such a problem, cause deep down, we can all relate
We entered into a wild country, thru security, society, developement to the wind

We were the explorers, a whole nation, not just the ones we read about
Why are westerns such good movies?
It exemplifies this ethic, which some all over the world identify with
Thats America

Thats when people relied upon their neighbor for survival
Where you HAD to know him, rely upon him, honor him

Not a country where people throw their garbage in others trash cans, thereby avoiding throwing away too much garbage, and thus, being overcharged, and again, is why weve started to reject Obamism
November 6, 2010 9:53:37 PM

I'll add this
Since the rest of the world is either divided into those that protest/kill, and those that have to follow their governement and finally, those thats placed their governements soo high, and look to it for rules, regulations, nurturing etc etrc, we here have to change our ways, and no, so far, we arent resentful, but read this link, and how our government reflects our attitudes, and how, as I said, we will have to change them, because of what I said here
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20021804-64.html?tag=...
November 6, 2010 10:55:10 PM

audiovoodoo said:
What in the name of all things terrorist has this got to do with anything, even trying to take the piss out of a scotts man?

The first link is about a company recycling lost property on a bus - something I can only assume those supper smart arse septics never experience as their property was seized by the security officer when they were at the fully body scanner before boarding the bus in the first case? That or on finding a lost item they just nuke the bus from orbit to be on the safe side perhaps?

As for the second link what new low would that be? The UK underwent deregulation of almost all markets back in the days of the Iron Lady. Most of the country is now served by Stagecoach who have monopolised the market and forced out the remaining municipals and independents by undercutting them, only to subsequently hike up fairs by as much as 100% in some cases. They are also apparently a lovely bunch of people to work for and have never ever been up in court for breach of various employment laws. A lovely example of capitalism in a non regulated environment making life better for all?


A special thanks for the drivvle you added to the thread. Keep us updated. It is always interesting to hear from a commoner relating important messages from Mars.

Edit for forgetting to slap the Queen to the floor.
November 6, 2010 11:10:25 PM

Dont blame the queen, she even has to vote now
!