The Core Duo Bug.

drcroubie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Surely by now somebody's thought of testing the battery life of Core Duo laptops with something other than XP?
ie, win98/2000/Linux, or has anyone got a sample of the new Mac Powerbooks yet?

mpjesse

Splendid
Hey n00b, their initial review was only on Core Duo laptops. They didn't set out (like anandtech did) to find out what the hell was going on with the battery drain problem. And they're currently working on an article about the problem with a real frigin solution- not some half ass registry hack that's been on technet for 8 months.

So quit being so damned critical. If it had not been for THG, the bug would still be covered up by M$ and anandtech wouldn't have their beloved article.

-mpjesse

WGruener

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
We posted our update this morning.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/14/microsoft_to_release_patch_for_power_drain_bug/

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Sorry to offend you, but to say "core duo bug" would suggest you know it's the CPU. Some bad reporting anyway.

I understand testing battery life takes time, and weeks of it. But now the headlines are prooven wrong(and edited it seems.) They should have tryed more laptops before runnung with that story.

Atleast there is a patch now, somehow that was reported here first?

I'm a nice guy, read more comments here.

WGruener

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I am not quite sure who originally came up with the idea that it is a Core Duo bug. As far as I can remember Tom's Hardware and TG Daily never claimed that it was a Core Duo bug. What we said is that we only could see the problem appear on a Core Duo notebook we had available at the writing of the first article.

Wolfgang

WGruener

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
RichPLS,

please read the article, in fact both articles, and you'll see that both systems (Sonoma, Napa) in fact are affected.

So, the claim, that this bug only surfaces on Napa, is not correct - at least from our point of view.

Wolfgang

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
RichPLS,

please read the article, in fact both articles, and you'll see that both systems (Sonoma, Napa) in fact are affected.

So, the claim, that this bug only surfaces on Napa, is not correct - at least from our point of view.

Wolfgang

My only question is how far back does this bug stretch in affected systems? I know it is probably not worth the time and effort to go back and test all the USB 2.0 equipped mobile platforms. Its more of a general wondering since I have several friends and reletives with laptops running XP Pro SP2.

WGruener

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
We are evaluating other platforms. However, at least according to Microsoft, the bug specifically affects Windows XP SP2. So, if you are running SP2, from that point of view, there is a good chance that any such system (that also supports USB 2.0) is affected.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
We are evaluating other platforms. However, at least according to Microsoft, the bug specifically affects Windows XP SP2. So, if you are running SP2, from that point of view, there is a good chance that any such system (that also supports USB 2.0) is affected.

Thank you for the reply, I'll be sure and have my friends download the fix.

Props to THG for thier effort :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think that there is a fix to download yet. There's a registry hack which I guess renders a small number of systems unstable and only works until the laptop goes into stand-by mode, but there's no download yet. And even once there is a download, it sounds like it'll also require a BIOS update, which probably won't be implemented and distributed by all manufacturers, especially regarding older models.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I don't think that there is a fix to download yet. There's a registry hack which I guess renders a small number of systems unstable and only works until the laptop goes into stand-by mode, but there's no download yet. And even once there is a download, it sounds like it'll also require a BIOS update, which probably won't be implemented and distributed by all manufacturers, especially regarding older models.

Good point pheonix. I understand that, i should have written "ill be waitching for a fix".
:)