Sign in with
Your question

The Core Duo Bug.

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
Last response: in CPUs
February 14, 2006 9:24:06 AM

Surely by now somebody's thought of testing the battery life of Core Duo laptops with something other than XP?
ie, win98/2000/Linux, or has anyone got a sample of the new Mac Powerbooks yet?

More about : core duo bug

February 14, 2006 1:40:20 PM

Anand Tech has prooved THERE IS NO CORE DUO BUG!
Just a Microsoft bug. All laptops suffer from it(under XP.) Funny Tom's missed that big point.
http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=2693
There is a fix, but no patch yet.

They did not try Apple's notebooks, but they work fine.
February 14, 2006 3:12:15 PM

Hey n00b, their initial review was only on Core Duo laptops. They didn't set out (like anandtech did) to find out what the hell was going on with the battery drain problem. And they're currently working on an article about the problem with a real frigin solution- not some half ass registry hack that's been on technet for 8 months.

So quit being so damned critical. If it had not been for THG, the bug would still be covered up by M$ and anandtech wouldn't have their beloved article.

-mpjesse
Related resources
February 14, 2006 8:01:31 PM

and before the fix
February 14, 2006 8:03:13 PM

it still performed better, but not as well as it should have
February 15, 2006 11:09:55 AM

Sorry to offend you, but to say "core duo bug" would suggest you know it's the CPU. Some bad reporting anyway.

I understand testing battery life takes time, and weeks of it. But now the headlines are prooven wrong(and edited it seems.) They should have tryed more laptops before runnung with that story.

Atleast there is a patch now, somehow that was reported here first?

I'm a nice guy, read more comments here.
February 15, 2006 11:34:47 AM

No kiddin man, it was like "OMGLOLZ11!!!!1! INTEL SCREWEDUPZ0R TELL THE WORLD!!!! WE'RE TEH UBER!"
February 15, 2006 1:08:11 PM

I am not quite sure who originally came up with the idea that it is a Core Duo bug. As far as I can remember Tom's Hardware and TG Daily never claimed that it was a Core Duo bug. What we said is that we only could see the problem appear on a Core Duo notebook we had available at the writing of the first article.

Wolfgang
February 15, 2006 1:31:57 PM

It is a core duo bug, whether it is hardware or software, it only occurs on core duo chipsets.
February 15, 2006 1:41:52 PM

RichPLS,

please read the article, in fact both articles, and you'll see that both systems (Sonoma, Napa) in fact are affected.

So, the claim, that this bug only surfaces on Napa, is not correct - at least from our point of view.

Wolfgang
February 15, 2006 2:12:22 PM

Quote:
RichPLS,

please read the article, in fact both articles, and you'll see that both systems (Sonoma, Napa) in fact are affected.

So, the claim, that this bug only surfaces on Napa, is not correct - at least from our point of view.

Wolfgang

My only question is how far back does this bug stretch in affected systems? I know it is probably not worth the time and effort to go back and test all the USB 2.0 equipped mobile platforms. Its more of a general wondering since I have several friends and reletives with laptops running XP Pro SP2.
February 15, 2006 2:22:51 PM

We are evaluating other platforms. However, at least according to Microsoft, the bug specifically affects Windows XP SP2. So, if you are running SP2, from that point of view, there is a good chance that any such system (that also supports USB 2.0) is affected.
February 15, 2006 4:15:01 PM

Quote:
We are evaluating other platforms. However, at least according to Microsoft, the bug specifically affects Windows XP SP2. So, if you are running SP2, from that point of view, there is a good chance that any such system (that also supports USB 2.0) is affected.

Thank you for the reply, I'll be sure and have my friends download the fix.

Props to THG for thier effort :) 
February 15, 2006 4:25:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think that there is a fix to download yet. There's a registry hack which I guess renders a small number of systems unstable and only works until the laptop goes into stand-by mode, but there's no download yet. And even once there is a download, it sounds like it'll also require a BIOS update, which probably won't be implemented and distributed by all manufacturers, especially regarding older models.
February 15, 2006 4:29:56 PM

Quote:
I don't think that there is a fix to download yet. There's a registry hack which I guess renders a small number of systems unstable and only works until the laptop goes into stand-by mode, but there's no download yet. And even once there is a download, it sounds like it'll also require a BIOS update, which probably won't be implemented and distributed by all manufacturers, especially regarding older models.

Good point pheonix. I understand that, i should have written "ill be waitching for a fix".
:) 
!