GPS Vs VOR approach

Hi all.

What´s the difference between a GPS and a VOR approach. I know how to
perform a VOR approach, but I´m not quite sure about the GPS approach

Thanks

Erik wrote:

> What´s the difference between a GPS and a VOR approach. I know how
> perform a VOR approach, but I´m not quite sure about the GPS
approach

The difference is the navigational device you are authorized to use for
lateral navigation along the approach. The VOR approach requires the
VOR to be used as the primary navigational means, whereas the GPS
approach requires the use of the IFR-certified, panel mounted GPS to be
used as the primary navigational means.

Beyond this major difference, the two non-precision approaches are
flown roughly the same way (let's disregard WAAS-enabled GPSs for a
moment). You keep the VOR or GPS-sourced CDI needle centered, while
you monitor your progress along the approach. As you cross
pre-definited intersections (either DME or VOR) or GPS waypoints, then
step-down to the next published altitude you get from the approach
plate.

At some point, you cross the final approach fix and step down to the
final minimum altitude allowed (called the MDA, or minimum descent
altitude), then fly on course until you see the airport or cross the
MAP (missed approach point), whichever comes first.

To prepare for either approach, you start with the appropriate approach
plate. Brief it to set up all required comm and nav frequencies. If a
VOR, you will be setting your primary nav radio with the VOR frequency,
then ensure your NAV/GPS switch is set to NAV so that the VOR is
driving the CDI needle. The GPS can be used in place of a DME to
indicate mileage, but it cannot be used as primary navigation along a
VOR approach (too bad, too, since the CDI needle is more solid, making
it easier to fly).

GPS approaches are a little easier to brief, because once you pull the
approach from the GPS database (PROC button on the Garmin series), you
simply activate it when you are cleared to fly it, then fly the course
and step down the altitudes. You don't have to set all of the
different NAV radios.

Additionally, when flying a GPS approach, you need to watch your GPS
when you get within 2 miles of the final approach fix. At this point
the GPS needs to switch from TERMinal mode to APPRoach mode (which
means that sensitivity of the CDI has changed from 1 mile to 0.3 miles
full deflection). If the GPS cannot switch, you will get a RAIM alert
(an internal integrety alarm) and you must fly the missed and decide
what your next gameplan is. Of course, RAIM errors are not modeled in
the sim (AFAIK), so this is merely procedural.

To speed the creation of GPS approaches, the US gov't took many
existing VOR approaches and "overlaid" GPS approaches to these. In
other words, when flying a VOR/GPS combined approach, you are
authorized to use either VOR or IFR-certified, panel-mounted GPS to fly
the approach. Step-down altitudes and minimums are the same for either
one.

However, "fresh" GPS approaches are also being created, and these
usually are nicer since they are simple T-shaped approaches, rather
than approaches with procedure turns in them (as are many VOR
approaches).

I'll give you the lowdown on GPS WAAS approaches later, which are
precision approaches one can fly very similar to ILS approaches using
the GPS.

--
Peter

Erik, here are some examples of a non-precision (meaning lateral
guidance only) GPS approaches:

This is a "fresh" GPS approach. Note the nice T-shaped course from the
initial approach fix to the final approach fix:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/09225R28.PDF

This is an example of a GPS overlay approach, whereby the FAA took an
existing VOR approach and designated it a GPS approach as well:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00779VG14.PDF

Note that in this approach, there is only one initial approach fix, the
VOR itself: This is usually the limitation of a GPS overlay approach.
The pilot in this case is required to fly to the VOR, then turn
outbound, fly for a few miles to get established on the outbound
course, then execute a right procedure turn (turn right 45 degrees, fly
for a minute, then turn to the left 180 degrees, which puts the
aircraft on an intercept with the final approach course). That is a
lot more work and also, some additional GPS button pressing is required
to keep the GPS from sequencing the waypoints when flying outbound.

--
Peter

Chris wrote:

> VOR Approach..what are those I have only ever heard of ILS approaches

A VOR approach is a non-precision approach that uses the VOR for
lateral (side to side) course navigation, rather than a localizer
signal (as per an ILS approach).

A "non-precision" approach is any approach that only provides lateral
course navigation and not glideslope navigation. Minimum altitudes
for each segment of the non-precision approach are retrieved from the
approach plate (as opposed to the constant descent offered by an ILS
approach).

Here is an approach plate for a VOR approach:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/09225VA.PDF

Some types of non-precision approaches:

- VOR (defined above)
- VOR-A (any non-precision approach with a letter after it means that
the approach takes you to the airport at more than 30 degrees off the
runway heading, meaning that you have to circle the runway to land,
rather than fly straight into the runway)
- NDB (pilot uses ADF for lateral course navigation - known as the most
challanging approach type)
- GPS (Uses GPS)
- Localizer (uses the localizer only, no glideslope available)

Some types of precision approaches:

- ILS
- RNAV/GPS (WAAS-enabled GPS provides glideslope as well as lateral
course guidance, currently only one GPS has been approved for these
approaches- the Garmin GNS480)
- PAR (Precision Approach Radar, super-sensitive radar that gives very
accurate position of aircraft so that ATC calls position relative to
the runway centerline and glideslope - normally found at military
airfields although civillians can sometimes get permission to fly one
as long as they do not touch their wheels to the military runway).

--
Peter

Steve wrote:

> You have to look it up in the chart for the
> runway in use and it gives you vectors and levels to fly using the
VOR as a
datum to get you safely joined and onto the runway heading.

Not always. See the description of VOR-A in my other post.

> The end bit is always visual.

The end bit of any approach including ILS CAT-I and CAT-II approaches
are always visual. AFAIK, CAT-III are the only approaches that don't
have to end visually.

--
Peter

VOR Approach..what are those I have only ever heard of ILS approaches

--
Do you want to join a freelance design team? Can you code or design? Want to
join a team who is strict on Web standards complacency?
"Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> What´s the difference between a GPS and a VOR approach. I know how to
> perform a VOR approach, but I´m not quite sure about the GPS approach
>
> Thanks

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Chris Harries" <chrisflyer@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> VOR Approach..what are those I have only ever heard of ILS approaches

A non-precision approach. You have to look it up in the chart for the
runway in use and it gives you vectors and levels to fly using the VOR as a
datum to get you safely joined and onto the runway heading. The end bit is
always visual. A variation on the theme is the NDB approach. Study a chart
of a VOR/NDB approach and it will become self-explanatory.

Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Steve" <steve.deletemefirst@zord.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Chris Harries" <chrisflyer@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > VOR Approach..what are those I have only ever heard of ILS approaches
> >

> A non-precision approach. You have to look it up in the chart for the
> runway in use and it gives you vectors and levels to fly using the VOR as
> datum to get you safely joined and onto the runway heading. The end bit
is
> always visual. A variation on the theme is the NDB approach. Study a
chart
> of a VOR/NDB approach and it will become self-explanatory.

I should have added that if you're not visual by the time you get to
decision height (DH) and/or the MAP then you go Missed and follow the Missed
Approach instructions - again, all straightforward on the approach cheet.

Steve

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> Hey Peter, I noticed they don't give you a DME or intersection to initiate
> the right turn. It's clearly around 8 nm but it looks like it's at the
> pilot's discretion? Is that correct?

See the 10nm ring? This is the "protected space" of the approach. The
turn must be completed within that 10nm ring. However, where the pilot
performs the turn within that 10nm is completely up to the pilot.

--
Peter

I wrote:

> However, where the pilot
> performs the turn within that 10nm is completely up to the pilot.

As a point of clarification, the turn must be performed in the
*direction* depicted on the chart, but can be started anywhere along
the outbound course as long as it remains within the protected airspace
given on the chart.

For the approach referenced in this thread as an example, the turn is a
right turn off the outbound course and must be completed within 10nm of
the VOR.

--
Peter

dallas

"pr"
> For the approach referenced in this thread as an example, the turn is a
> right turn off the outbound course and must be completed within 10nm of
> the VOR.

Thanks as usual.

KDFW