A8N SLI Deluxe with Antec Neo HE 500 PS - compatability prob

JoseCuervo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Working on a new build & trying to decide on power supply. Using Antec P180 case which I read can be a challenge for cable management. Would like to use Antec Neo HE 500 which is NVidia SLI approved & modular, so I can use only the cables I need. I have seen posts on other sites saying this PS is a problem with the A8NSLI though .... won't boot or shuts down after a few minutes. Doe anyone have experience with this issue and if so, has it been resolved by Asus? I would like the modular PS for the cleanliness of install, but don't want to create other problems. My other PS choice would be the Antec True Power II - 550W; great PS but non-modular and a mess of cables! Any help would be much appreciated.

G

I just did a similar build with the Antec SmartPower 500W, which is a modular supply. It's quiet, I can't even hear the damn thing, bcs the 120mm fan in the PSU chamber keeps it so cool the PSU's fans never spin up.

I've heard that the HE line has some issues still; whether or not it's just with Asus boards I think I'd play it safe and avoid them until Antec sorts it out.

Plus the SmartPower is like 1/2 the price of the HE and gets very favorable reviews, even for the "low end" of antec's line. Use the extra 60$ towards the gfx card or something! See

Silent PC Review of 450W SmartPower 2.0

The P180 is a VERY difficult case to work with and in retrospect I'm very glad I had a modular supply. I wouldn't recommend proceeding without one as the space is very tight in there and extra cables would be a real headache.

silverbullet126

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
This might help ...

"
Asus Compatibility the Antec NeoHE Power Supplies?

The A8N32-SLI Deluxe was one of many Asus motherboards which appeared to have a serious compatibility problem with the Antec NeoHE power supplies. Our first NeoHE PSU samples (circa Oct 2005), both retail package samples and the 430W models included with the Antec P150 case, refused to play nice with the A8N32-SLI, usually booting only for 10~40 seconds before powering down. The most recent NeoHE samples, revision A3, were received around Christmas 2005. These latest samples work quietly without any issues with the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, the Asus A8N-SLI, and Asus A8N-VM CSM — all the Asus socket 939 motherboards on hand in the SPCR lab.

We were informed by Antec that not all the PSUs are marked with a revision number, but you can figure out the date of ex-factory from the serial number. One of our A3s has this number: S05110081185. The 0511 means it was shipped from the factory in 2005, November. So any NeoHE whose serial number starts with S0511, S0512 or S06 should be perfectly compatible with Asus boards.
"

SilentPCReivew (Here)