SOCKET AM2 BIRTH SCHEDULED FOR 6th OF JUNE

Craigmandu

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Personally I don't have a preference either way, but I am tired of a new freaking platform every 6 months.

I understand the need to continue to improve processor technology for both Intel and AMD, but it's starting to get ridiculous how quick platforms get out of date.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
does anyone else see a problem with JUNE being the release.

AMD has already announced that NO NEW CPU'S will be available on the 939 platform. the fastest was teh FX-60. all new CPU's will be AM2

so now.. AMD doesnt plan on releasing any new CPU's till JUNE? 4 months away? that doesnt sound right.

if this is the case, Intell has a prime opportunity to counter with something big

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
thats basically the problem.

if they're waiting till JUNE to release AM2 and the new line of CPU's

there's now a 4 month gap where AMD will be releasing absolutely NO new technology

thats a big gap in the CPU market with the likes of intel needing to make up ground. this is a good chance for INTEL To do some damage

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Could also give AMD some serious time to perfect some nice, well developed processors for the AM2 launch. Instead of spitting out a shat load of half ass crud.

Hooray for release dates! :p

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I don't see a problem with releasing in June, or the fact that Intel can release a new CPU before than. So what? You going to drop $1,000 on the Intel 9xx EE 3.73GHz Dual Core that's supposed to be released? The next 4 months will give AMD the prime oppurtunity to seal the deal with a firm grasp in Mobile, Desktop and Server markets with the release of AM2, F, and Socket S1. I hear alot of hype about Conroe, woopdy freakin' doo, a new CPU from Intel that is supposed to be 3 times faster than Prescott. Any AMD64 on a Clock-For-Clock basis is probably 3 times faster than Prescott.

Of all the Conroe and new Intel CPU hype, this may all be true, but saying AMD is going to have a hard time, is straight up ReeDeeculous! This all goes on the thought that AMD isn't planning on releasing new CPU's themselves, which is untrue. AMD, according to a few websites, plans to release a new architecture at the turn of the year, and with the introduction of Socket F in the Opteron 64 realm, you can say bye-bye to Woodcrest being a challenge for the Opteron. And Socket S1 will definately beat any Merom CPU that Intel can put out.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Socket F heh, next after that will be the Socket FU, followed by Intel's new release the Socket FU2 which will pwn all for like 3 weeks. Then AMD upgrades again to something insanely better that blows everything out the water...

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
As long as people are willing to buy new processor platforms in large numbers Intel/AMD will always be free to release them on their own schedule. It's a free market and that's just the way it works.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Gush then I made a mistake buying a 939 dual core short ago. The best you could do - if you really need to build a new system- is buying Intel Presler D 3.0 (around $330) and exchange the board and CPU when AM2 is out. This way your DDR2's won’t go to waste. Boy the prices of 939's is gonna drop dramatically!

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I don't think it's as much new technology as pricing that will work to Intel's advantage prior to AM2's launch. Intel will be refreshing their entire line-up with the 3.6GHz 960D and a 3.73GHz 965EE at the top. These will be based on a new stepping, finally having EIST enabled down to 2.4GHz, and an improved 65nm process allowing the 940D to drop to the lower TDP rating. All other processors will probably also see power decreases so the 960D won't likely use much more power than the 950D and similar for the 965EE and the 955EE.

Of course, these revisions are just small improvements to an already dying or dead (depending on your point of view and whether you overclock) design. What is most important isn't as much technology as pricing. Intel has scheduled crazy cuts to their dual core line-up. The most significant cut will be the 3.4GHz 950D, which is Intel's highest model mainstream dual core currently, will fall from $637 to $316. These cuts will come on April 23rd, which means they will be fully implemented by the time AM2 is launched in June.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060213PR218.html

AM2 will be faster than Presler, but at 3.4GHz the 950D is no slouch either. With EIST and refined 65nm process bring down power levels whether at full load, at idle or in between, Intel will be really pushing into the price/performance ratios. The entry dual cores will be the 805D at $150 and the 930D at $209.

If you want performance AMD is definitely the way to go when AM2 launches, but AM2 will either need to have a large performance increase or launch at low prices to ensure the best value.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I built a 939 dual core also about 2 weeks ago... I'm just saying that this technology moves so fast. It's really hard to keep up.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I don't think it's as much new technology as pricing that will work to Intel's advantage prior to AM2's launch. Intel will be refreshing their entire line-up with the 3.6GHz 960D and a 3.73GHz 965EE at the top. These will be based on a new stepping, finally having EIST enabled down to 2.4GHz, and an improved 65nm process allowing the 940D to drop to the lower TDP rating. All other processors will probably also see power decreases so the 960D won't likely use much more power than the 950D and similar for the 965EE and the 955EE.

Of course, these revisions are just small improvements to an already dying or dead (depending on your point of view and whether you overclock) design. What is most important isn't as much technology as pricing. Intel has scheduled crazy cuts to their dual core line-up. The most significant cut will be the 3.4GHz 950D, which is Intel's highest model mainstream dual core currently, will fall from $637 to $316. These cuts will come on April 23rd, which means they will be fully implemented by the time AM2 is launched in June.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060213PR218.html

AM2 will be faster than Presler, but at 3.4GHz the 950D is no slouch either. With EIST and refined 65nm process bring down power levels whether at full load, at idle or in between, Intel will be really pushing into the price/performance ratios. The entry dual cores will be the 805D at $150 and the 930D at $209.

If you want performance AMD is definitely the way to go when AM2 launches, but AM2 will either need to have a large performance increase or launch at low prices to ensure the best value.
AMD already has the speed and all they need to do is match the price. Easy solution for them too because they can simply rename 939 to "low end" and lower the prices on the existing chips. Who knows maybe when they transition to .065 they could release new versions of the existing 939 chips. AMD made DDR400 VERY popular in the past 3 years and there is simply too much of it out there to ignore that market so I dont think its out of the question. Hows that for a theory?

pat

Expert
Socket F heh, next after that will be the Socket FU, followed by Intel's new release the Socket FU2 which will pwn all for like 3 weeks. Then AMD upgrades again to something insanely better that blows everything out the water...

you sum it all real good..

nice one :D

Wonder if I'm the only one who go it??

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The current S939 processors will no doubt drop in price in preparation for AM2's release but the question is whether AMD can afford the price cuts necessary. The 950D generally performs between the X2 4400+ and the X2 4600+. The X2 4400+ already received a $50 price cut in the last few weeks dropping its MSRP $467. That means in order to meet the price of the 950D AMD will have to cut X2 4400+'s price by a third. Intel can easily afford the 50% cut to the 950D because by April the 65nm process would have matured with sufficient yields. The pricing model for the 950D was based on the 90nm 840D anyways. It will be interesting to see how much of a profit margin AMD has on their mature 90nm process.

Even the most optimistic estimates for AMD's 65nm transitions put it toward year end, which is 6 months too late. 65nm parts will not be ready to provide the price cuts needed to match Intel's April pricing schedule. By the time 65nm parts launch, Presler would be largely gone from Intel's line-up so the issue will be moot.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Even the most optimistic estimates for AMD's 65nm transitions put it toward year end, which is 6 months too late.

If I'm not wrong, a member from this forum posted an article about 65nm coming the last quarter of this year. The year is divided in 3 quarters, this means that the last quarter starts with September and ends with December. AMD has September till December to release their 65nm process.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
wrong, it's supposed to be in the second half of NEXT year :eek: that's a long delay for 65nm

and the 965 will pwn any AMD out there right now... and for FX-60 prices.

drcroubie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
well, look at it this way.
my computer is a Pentium3-600 (started life as a P2-350).
it's still going, quite strongly i might add (seeing as i don't care about the latest 3d games, it's all i need). and it was damn upgradeable. i could fit anything from a P2-200 to a P3-1400, with maybe a slocket and a new bios.
but they don't make 'em like 440BX anymore. the upgradeability of any mobo is one of the prime features i want on it.

so middle of last year, i started thinking about a new computer, focussing on a P4-D 8x0 with 955X chipset. glad i didn't get one, because there's little upgrade path, maybe not even to the new Conroes if/when they come out.

But, thanks to the near northbridge-less HyperTransport, the only thing stopping people upgrading from one AMD chip to another is the socket (and maybe a bios update).

so i'm going to buy an AM2/mobo/ram/ps/maybe case, my first "new" computer parts in >5 years. and i'm going to get the cheapest processor i can (if not sempron, then just a 64, not fx or x2), and upgrade the processor later on if needs be. who cares about 65nm anyway? it's not going to benefit me as much (in terms of heat etc) as it will AMD (more procs/wafer, cheaper manufacturing costs). so yay for AM2, may it last a few years at least.