Flight planner

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 25, 2005 11:32:08 PM

Can anyone recommend a good flight planner.

The most important thing I am looking for is nice looking printable flight
plans, map and waypoint/airport data sheet etc

Free or pay

Thanks

Graham

More about : flight planner

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:49:01 AM

Graham <graham.me@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good flight planner.
>
> The most important thing I am looking for is nice looking printable flight
> plans, map and waypoint/airport data sheet etc
>
> Free or pay

Since you mention "pay," you could join AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilot's
Association) for US$39 per year.

http://www.aopa.org/join/

Once a member, you can download for free AOPA flight planner, which is a
somewhat scaled back version of Jeppesen's FlightStar, a very expensive but
feature-rich flight planner. This flight planner will allow you to create
a few aircraft profiles (fuel burn, climb rate, true airspeed in cruise),
then plan a flight. You then can print en route charts, flight logs,
frequency reports, etc. It does not do approach charts directly, but AOPA
has those for free.

It would work very well with FS200x. I use Jeppesen's IFR FlightStar (this
AOPA Real Time Flight Planner's big brother) for real flight planning, and
it is excellent.

Additionally, as an AOPA member you also receive an excellent monthly
aviation magazine, which many claim is worth the price of the yearly
membership.

--
Peter

April 26, 2005 4:02:04 PM

Graham wrote:

> Thanks Peter this looks great but also very American.
>
> Is this flight planner just for US airports/routes or does it cover
the UK?
> Also does the other resourses, weather maps ets include UK/Europe?

Sorry 'bout that, Graham. The software is oriented to northwestern
hemisphere flying, including US, Canada, Mexico, Greenland, the
Carribean, Latin America, and the northern third of South America .
My oversight.

--
Peter
April 26, 2005 5:19:13 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:32:08 +0000 (UTC), "Graham"
<graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good flight planner.
>
>The most important thing I am looking for is nice looking printable flight
>plans, map and waypoint/airport data sheet etc
>
>Free or pay
>
>Thanks
>
>Graham

Hi,

the best program to use with FS9 (in my opinion) is FS Navigator.. It
meets with all your demands.

It can be found at http//www.fsnavigator.com

Hope this helps ;-)

Greetings from Belgium,

Chris-EBOS
April 26, 2005 5:19:14 PM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:19:13 GMT, sky40154N@skynet.be (Kawa ZZR)
brought the following to our attention:

>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:32:08 +0000 (UTC), "Graham"
><graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recommend a good flight planner.
>>
>>The most important thing I am looking for is nice looking printable flight
>>plans, map and waypoint/airport data sheet etc
>>
>>Free or pay
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Graham
>>

>Hi,
>
>the best program to use with FS9 (in my opinion) is FS Navigator.. It
>meets with all your demands.
>
>It can be found at http//www.fsnavigator.com
>
>Hope this helps ;-)
>
>Greetings from Belgium,
>
>Chris-EBOS

I'd have to agree.. FSNav doesn't leave much to be desired.. and I
tried printing out flightplans but the used paper started to build up.
It can measure and display distances / headings with right-mouse..
and tell you when to start descent.. even runs good on CPU
challenged systems. The FMS switches can be integrated into your
panel without much trouble.

There's a trick as to the left-hand `pullover' block.. the one with
the radio fields. Make it only half-width and scroll box to the
right.. only the digits fields show. It takes less room and one can
still click and type in freqs. :)

More new tricks discovered each week.. it seems.
Someday will get into FSBuild.

-G
April 26, 2005 10:12:26 PM

"pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Graham <graham.me@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a good flight planner.
>>
>> The most important thing I am looking for is nice looking printable
>> flight
>> plans, map and waypoint/airport data sheet etc
>>
>> Free or pay
>
> Since you mention "pay," you could join AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilot's
> Association) for US$39 per year.
>
> http://www.aopa.org/join/
>
> Once a member, you can download for free AOPA flight planner, which is a
> somewhat scaled back version of Jeppesen's FlightStar, a very expensive
> but
> feature-rich flight planner. This flight planner will allow you to create
> a few aircraft profiles (fuel burn, climb rate, true airspeed in cruise),
> then plan a flight. You then can print en route charts, flight logs,
> frequency reports, etc. It does not do approach charts directly, but AOPA
> has those for free.
>
> It would work very well with FS200x. I use Jeppesen's IFR FlightStar
> (this
> AOPA Real Time Flight Planner's big brother) for real flight planning, and
> it is excellent.
>
> Additionally, as an AOPA member you also receive an excellent monthly
> aviation magazine, which many claim is worth the price of the yearly
> membership.
>
> --
> Peter

Thanks Peter this looks great but also very American.

Is this flight planner just for US airports/routes or does it cover the UK?
Also does the other resourses, weather maps ets include UK/Europe?

Thanks

Graham
April 26, 2005 11:18:22 PM

"pr" <proffice@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> Graham wrote:
>
>> Thanks Peter this looks great but also very American.
>>
>> Is this flight planner just for US airports/routes or does it cover
> the UK?
>> Also does the other resourses, weather maps ets include UK/Europe?
>
> Sorry 'bout that, Graham. The software is oriented to northwestern
> hemisphere flying, including US, Canada, Mexico, Greenland, the
> Carribean, Latin America, and the northern third of South America .
> My oversight.
>
> --
> Peter

No worries Peter!

You Americans do seem to have loads of great online flyin resources.

Lucky devils :-)

Thanks anyway

Graham
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:37:24 PM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:32:34 -0400, Gregory wrote:

> Someday will get into FSBuild.

I use both FSBuild and FSNavigator.

IMO FSBuild is the best one to use when planning high altitude flights.
It uses jetways like A35, B12, J4 and such, where FSNav lists all the
intersections along the way. The FSBuild flightplan can then be converted
to PMDG format so it can be loaded into the FMC.

FSNav is perfect to use with aircrafts that are not equipped with an FMC.
But even when flying an FMC equipped aircraft I still copy the flightplan
to FSNavigator so it shows up on the map, because the FSBuild map looks
like it was created by a 4 year old.

FSBuild also seems to be better at calculating fuelburn and ETE according
to the specs of the aircraft you'll be flying.

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:32:34 -0400, Gregory wrote:
>
>> Someday will get into FSBuild.
>
> I use both FSBuild and FSNavigator.
>
> IMO FSBuild is the best one to use when planning high altitude flights.
> It uses jetways like A35, B12, J4 and such, where FSNav lists all the
> intersections along the way. The FSBuild flightplan can then be converted
> to PMDG format so it can be loaded into the FMC.
>
> FSNav is perfect to use with aircrafts that are not equipped with an FMC.
> But even when flying an FMC equipped aircraft I still copy the flightplan
> to FSNavigator so it shows up on the map, because the FSBuild map looks
> like it was created by a 4 year old.
>
> FSBuild also seems to be better at calculating fuelburn and ETE according
> to the specs of the aircraft you'll be flying.
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the
> earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
> and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci)

Thanks for the great suggestions guys!

Graham
April 26, 2005 11:37:25 PM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:37:24 +0200, Marcel Kuijper
<zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:32:34 -0400, Gregory wrote:
>
>> Someday will get into FSBuild.
>
>I use both FSBuild and FSNavigator.
>
>IMO FSBuild is the best one to use when planning high altitude flights.
>It uses jetways like A35, B12, J4 and such, where FSNav lists all the
>intersections along the way. The FSBuild flightplan can then be converted
>to PMDG format so it can be loaded into the FMC.

Can see how the jetways would be an improvement. Am saving out FSNav
FPs (flightplans) in MSFS format and loading them for ATC to handle.
Can you make the FP into a TXT or HTM and view it on the kneeboard?
Would need a formatted TXT file here. As mentioned.. have stopped
printing out FPs and maps.

>FSNav is perfect to use with aircrafts that are not equipped with an FMC.
>But even when flying an FMC equipped aircraft I still copy the flightplan
>to FSNavigator so it shows up on the map, because the FSBuild map looks
>like it was created by a 4 year old.

Yep.. it has customizable dual-mode FMS (mode1 / mode2). Haven't used
the fully automatic mode1 (bring you right down to the runway) since
the first week. FSNav does indeed have a descent map.. most would
certainly agree. Have night colors (dark blue) disabled.. only the one
color scheme active.

>FSBuild also seems to be better at calculating fuelburn and ETE according
>to the specs of the aircraft you'll be flying.

With FSNav.. you must edit the climb FF based on weight and target
ALT since it has but one field. It must be a single `average' FF for
that particular climb. I don't bother to tweak it now.. it's error
isn't noticeable anymore. FSBuild seems to have FF tables etc. with
lots of columns.

-Gregory
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:14:46 AM

On 25-Apr-2005, "Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good flight planner.
>
> The most important thing I am looking for is nice looking printable flight
> plans, map and waypoint/airport data sheet etc
>
> Free or pay

Hi Graham,

In addition to the other suggestions you have got, you should consider
FlightSim Commander 7 by Sascha Felix (www.fscommander.com)
Has complete coverage of the world, and imports the airport- +
navigation-data directly from FS9.

Flight planning can be done for navaid to navaid, low alt airways or high
alt airways.
Also SID's and STAR's are available to be used in the planning.
You can have several (unlimited) aircraft-profiles, being able to match your
current A/C in calculation of cruise-level, speed, flight-times ++.

Print-outs of the flight plan are provided in 3 pages.
1. "general flight info". containing trivial info's like
Departure/arrival-airport, distance, FL, flight time, expected fuel-usage
plus basic climb-, cruise- and descent-info.
2. "departure and arrival routes". providing info's on all departures from
different Rwy's departing towards first fix-point in flight plan, and info
on possible arrivals for all Rwy from last fix.
3. "waypoints". the "flight plan" with all waypoints, with freq's courses,
distances and est. times.

FS Commander also has the ability to be a "moving map" including surounding
AI-traffic (or Vatsim-traffic), a "GPS-autopilot" + a lots more
functionality..
(go read all the features on the web-site.. much better.. ;o)

Best part... the product is available in a free 35 minutes-limited tryware
(limited from each start of the program).
That provides plenty of time to use it for flight-planning... (how I use
it..).. and a short "demo" of moving map + all the other stuff the program
can do..
If you get fond of it, and decide to buy it, it "only" costs €30,- ($39,-)

Hope you get the planner that works best for you.. ;o)

Regards
Mikael K

--
Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
Home Airport: EKBI

Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:45:41 AM

yeah its a whole lot harder for us Europeans

/me shakes fist at people over the water

--
Do you want to join a freelance design team? Can you code or design? Want to
join a team who is strict on Web standards complacency?

"Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 4m45u$obn$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> "pr" <proffice@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Graham wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Peter this looks great but also very American.
>>>
>>> Is this flight planner just for US airports/routes or does it cover
>> the UK?
>>> Also does the other resourses, weather maps ets include UK/Europe?
>>
>> Sorry 'bout that, Graham. The software is oriented to northwestern
>> hemisphere flying, including US, Canada, Mexico, Greenland, the
>> Carribean, Latin America, and the northern third of South America .
>> My oversight.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>>

> No worries Peter!
>
> You Americans do seem to have loads of great online flyin resources.
>
> Lucky devils :-)
>
> Thanks anyway
>
> Graham

April 27, 2005 9:53:42 AM

"Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com> wrote in message

> On 25-Apr-2005, "Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a good flight planner.
>>
>> The most important thing I am looking for is nice looking printable
>> flight
>> plans, map and waypoint/airport data sheet etc
>>
>> Free or pay
>
> Hi Graham,
>
> In addition to the other suggestions you have got, you should consider
> FlightSim Commander 7 by Sascha Felix (www.fscommander.com)
> Has complete coverage of the world, and imports the airport- +
> navigation-data directly from FS9.
>
> Flight planning can be done for navaid to navaid, low alt airways or high
> alt airways.
> Also SID's and STAR's are available to be used in the planning.
> You can have several (unlimited) aircraft-profiles, being able to match
> your
> current A/C in calculation of cruise-level, speed, flight-times ++.
>
> Print-outs of the flight plan are provided in 3 pages.
> 1. "general flight info". containing trivial info's like
> Departure/arrival-airport, distance, FL, flight time, expected fuel-usage
> plus basic climb-, cruise- and descent-info.
> 2. "departure and arrival routes". providing info's on all departures from
> different Rwy's departing towards first fix-point in flight plan, and info
> on possible arrivals for all Rwy from last fix.
> 3. "waypoints". the "flight plan" with all waypoints, with freq's courses,
> distances and est. times.
>
> FS Commander also has the ability to be a "moving map" including
> surounding
> AI-traffic (or Vatsim-traffic), a "GPS-autopilot" + a lots more
> functionality..
> (go read all the features on the web-site.. much better.. ;o)
>
> Best part... the product is available in a free 35 minutes-limited tryware
> (limited from each start of the program).
> That provides plenty of time to use it for flight-planning... (how I use
> it..).. and a short "demo" of moving map + all the other stuff the program
> can do..
> If you get fond of it, and decide to buy it, it "only" costs ?30,- ($39,-)
>
> Hope you get the planner that works best for you.. ;o)
>
> Regards
> Mikael K
>
> --
> Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
> Home Airport: EKBI
>
> Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)

Thanks Mikael for the reply, appreciate it.

Off to take a look at it now!

Regards

Graham
April 27, 2005 11:45:59 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:14:46 GMT, "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com>
brought the following to our attention:

It has elevation view of the ILS profile with ALTs.. that's a good
feature.

http://www.fscommander.com/images/FSCChart.jpg

Please help to understand.. does FSC run as .dll or .exe? Display
on secondary monitor or task switch same monitor? Run MSFS
windowed? Must see how video drivers etc.. handle this action.

-G

>On 25-Apr-2005, "Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a good flight planner.
>>
>> The most important thing I am looking for is nice looking printable flight
>> plans, map and waypoint/airport data sheet etc
>>
>> Free or pay
>
>Hi Graham,
>
>In addition to the other suggestions you have got, you should consider
>FlightSim Commander 7 by Sascha Felix (www.fscommander.com)
>Has complete coverage of the world, and imports the airport- +
>navigation-data directly from FS9.
>
>Flight planning can be done for navaid to navaid, low alt airways or high
>alt airways.
>Also SID's and STAR's are available to be used in the planning.
>You can have several (unlimited) aircraft-profiles, being able to match your
>current A/C in calculation of cruise-level, speed, flight-times ++.
>
>Print-outs of the flight plan are provided in 3 pages.
>1. "general flight info". containing trivial info's like
>Departure/arrival-airport, distance, FL, flight time, expected fuel-usage
>plus basic climb-, cruise- and descent-info.
>2. "departure and arrival routes". providing info's on all departures from
>different Rwy's departing towards first fix-point in flight plan, and info
>on possible arrivals for all Rwy from last fix.
>3. "waypoints". the "flight plan" with all waypoints, with freq's courses,
>distances and est. times.
>
>FS Commander also has the ability to be a "moving map" including surounding
>AI-traffic (or Vatsim-traffic), a "GPS-autopilot" + a lots more
>functionality..
>(go read all the features on the web-site.. much better.. ;o)
>
>Best part... the product is available in a free 35 minutes-limited tryware
>(limited from each start of the program).
>That provides plenty of time to use it for flight-planning... (how I use
>it..).. and a short "demo" of moving map + all the other stuff the program
>can do..
>If you get fond of it, and decide to buy it, it "only" costs €30,- ($39,-)
>
>Hope you get the planner that works best for you.. ;o)
>
>Regards
>Mikael K
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:07:51 PM

On 27-Apr-2005, Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:

> Please help to understand.. does FSC run as .dll or .exe? Display
> on secondary monitor or task switch same monitor? Run MSFS
> windowed? Must see how video drivers etc.. handle this action.

I will try to help you understand.. ;o)

FSC runs as an .exe..
It can be run stand-alone without FS, like when planning your flight before
going to your virtual A/C... :) )
Or it can be run together with FS, connected thru the "GPS connection" in
FSC using FSUIPC, for the MovingMap and/or GPS-autopilot.

When running together, FS has to be run in windowed mode, allowing the
FSC-window to stay on top (selectable)...
FSC can also be displayed outside of FS on a second monitor, as it is a
standalone-application. Of course that will influence the fps in FS, as CPU
and GPU will be working on that app too. In this setup, you _can_ run FS in
full screen. Only disadvantage of doing that, is that FS will minimize if
you handle (click a button/menu) the windowed FSC-application on screen 2.

For those having 2 Pc's then FSC can be running on the second computer, and
still stay connected with FS thru the use of WideFS...
Then you won't suffer any disadvantage from having FS in full screen.. ;o)

Regards
Mikael K

--
Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
Home Airport: EKBI

Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:35:21 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:07:51 GMT, "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com>
wrote:

>When running together, FS has to be run in windowed mode, allowing the
>FSC-window to stay on top (selectable)...
>FSC can also be displayed outside of FS on a second monitor, as it is a
>standalone-application. Of course that will influence the fps in FS, as CPU
>and GPU will be working on that app too. In this setup, you _can_ run FS in
>full screen. Only disadvantage of doing that, is that FS will minimize if
>you handle (click a button/menu) the windowed FSC-application on screen 2.
>
>For those having 2 Pc's then FSC can be running on the second computer, and
>still stay connected with FS thru the use of WideFS...
>Then you won't suffer any disadvantage from having FS in full screen.. ;o)
>
>Regards
>Mikael K

Hi Mikael

I have downloadet FSC 7 and I have downloaded a DAFIF file for the
database, but nomatter where I put the DAFIF it won't find it. I have
tried putting the zip file (PFPS_3_3_3.3_EDS6.zip) in the Dafifolder
of FSC7, and I have tried unpacking the zip and get a folder called
DAFIF_0504_EDS and put it in the DAFIF folder, bu still noluck. What
and where do I put the DAFIF zip, so FSC7 Database manager will open
and import it?

mvh Falcon
April 28, 2005 1:35:22 AM

"Falcon" <falcon1@email.dk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:07:51 GMT, "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com>
> wrote:
>

>>When running together, FS has to be run in windowed mode, allowing the
>>FSC-window to stay on top (selectable)...
>>FSC can also be displayed outside of FS on a second monitor, as it is a
>>standalone-application. Of course that will influence the fps in FS, as
>>CPU
>>and GPU will be working on that app too. In this setup, you _can_ run FS
>>in
>>full screen. Only disadvantage of doing that, is that FS will minimize if
>>you handle (click a button/menu) the windowed FSC-application on screen 2.
>>
>>For those having 2 Pc's then FSC can be running on the second computer,
>>and
>>still stay connected with FS thru the use of WideFS...
>>Then you won't suffer any disadvantage from having FS in full screen..
>>;o)
>>
>>Regards
>>Mikael K
>
> Hi Mikael
>
> I have downloadet FSC 7 and I have downloaded a DAFIF file for the
> database, but nomatter where I put the DAFIF it won't find it. I have
> tried putting the zip file (PFPS_3_3_3.3_EDS6.zip) in the Dafifolder
> of FSC7, and I have tried unpacking the zip and get a folder called
> DAFIF_0504_EDS and put it in the DAFIF folder, bu still noluck. What
> and where do I put the DAFIF zip, so FSC7 Database manager will open
> and import it?
>
> mvh Falcon

Firstly Mikael, A BIG THANKS YOU this program is fantastic, just what I was
looking for, thanks!!

Secondly, mvh Falcon

Have you downloaded the file named DAFIF.ZIP? This is the one you need.
Just put the downloaded DAFIF.zip file (do not unzip it!) into C;\ Prog
files\FSC\DAFIF folder. Then run the database manager and at the bottom
there is a button that says Unzip and install DAFIF file, click this and
away it should go!

Graham
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:37:57 AM

On 27-Apr-2005, "Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Firstly Mikael, A BIG THANKS YOU this program is fantastic, just what I
> was looking for, thanks!!

Good to hear that it fulfills your needs for a planner..
Your thanks are appreciated.. :D

But you shouldn't thank me... I didn't made it... Sascha did. ;o)

And you are right in the directions to Falcon (btw.. "mvh" is just a Danish
abbreviation for "with kindly regards").
Only DAFIF.ZIP should be downloaded and put into the dafif-folder in FSC.

But maybe Falcon got to far down the page and clicked the wrong link..
Look just below the 2 pictures (one jet and one chart). Choose the very
first FTP-link to "Ed. 6".
From there, click and download "dafif.zip"
Don't unzip... Just put it in the dafif-folder, and do the rest from within
the FSCDatabase-manager.

(and just as info to Falcon... SID's and STAR's aren't available for the
Danish airports.. don't know why or how to add them.. yet..)

Regards
Mikael K

--
Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
Home Airport: EKBI

Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:31:51 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:58:10 +0000 (UTC), "Graham"
<graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> I have downloadet FSC 7 and I have downloaded a DAFIF file for the
>> database, but nomatter where I put the DAFIF it won't find it. I have
>> tried putting the zip file (PFPS_3_3_3.3_EDS6.zip) in the Dafifolder
>> of FSC7, and I have tried unpacking the zip and get a folder called
>> DAFIF_0504_EDS and put it in the DAFIF folder, bu still noluck. What
>> and where do I put the DAFIF zip, so FSC7 Database manager will open
>> and import it?
>>
>> mvh Falcon
>
>Firstly Mikael, A BIG THANKS YOU this program is fantastic, just what I was
>looking for, thanks!!
>
>Secondly, mvh Falcon
>
>Have you downloaded the file named DAFIF.ZIP? This is the one you need.
>Just put the downloaded DAFIF.zip file (do not unzip it!) into C;\ Prog
>files\FSC\DAFIF folder. Then run the database manager and at the bottom
>there is a button that says Unzip and install DAFIF file, click this and
>away it should go!
>
>Graham

Hmmm Graham

Where can I find the zipfile, I went to this homepage
https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/index.cfm and downloaded the
PFPS_3.2_3.3_ed6 file, but I can't find a file just named
DAFIF.zip????

Falcon
April 28, 2005 1:58:42 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:07:51 GMT, "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>For those having 2 Pc's then FSC can be running on the second computer
>and still stay connected with FS thru the use of WideFS...
>
>Then you won't suffer any disadvantage from having FS in full screen..

sounds like it would be good idea to set up WideFS experiment to one
of the older PCs. Any known websites describing WideFS configuration?

-G
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:31:57 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:37:57 GMT, "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com>
wrote:

Hi Mikael

>But maybe Falcon got to far down the page and clicked the wrong link..

I sure did :-)

>Look just below the 2 pictures (one jet and one chart). Choose the very
>first FTP-link to "Ed. 6".
>From there, click and download "dafif.zip"
>Don't unzip... Just put it in the dafif-folder, and do the rest from within
>the FSCDatabase-manager.

Found it and installed it and it seems to work

>(and just as info to Falcon... SID's and STAR's aren't available for the
>Danish airports.. don't know why or how to add them.. yet..)

Vi kan håbe det kommer på et senere tidspunkt.

>Regards
>Mikael K

Allthough the programme looks nice and probably can do all sort of
things, I think for now I prefer FSNavigator,but maybe that's because
I'm used to it. But I sure will play around with FSC to see if is
something to invest in.

mvh Falcon
April 28, 2005 5:45:52 PM

> On 27-Apr-2005, "Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Firstly Mikael, A BIG THANKS YOU this program is fantastic, just what I
>> was looking for, thanks!!
>

> Good to hear that it fulfills your needs for a planner..
> Your thanks are appreciated.. :D
>
> But you shouldn't thank me... I didn't made it... Sascha did. ;o)
>
> And you are right in the directions to Falcon (btw.. "mvh" is just a
> Danish
> abbreviation for "with kindly regards").

Oops! Silly me!

Graham

P.S. I meant thanks for directing me to it and also thanks Sascha VERY MUCH!
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:32:34 PM

On 28-Apr-2005, Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:

> sounds like it would be good idea to set up WideFS experiment to one
> of the older PCs. Any known websites describing WideFS configuration?

Configuring WideFS is quite easy.. and doc's are included in the download.
Just remember, that WideFS needs a registration-key to work. Can be bought
as standalone (23 euro), or as bundle with FSUIPC (35 euro) on
simmarket.com.
And it needs FSUIPC also...

To download WideFS, got to Peter Dowsons web-page:
http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html.
There you will be able to find the latest version for download (current
version 6.47).
Included in the zip-file are the documentation..
Copy the correct files to the server and the client, and you are ready.

The short version of installing and configuring WideFS: (extracted from the
docs)

Installation:
On the Flight Simulator PC (server)
1. Place WideServer.dll and WideServer.Ini in the Flight Simulator Modules
folder.

On client PC
1. Place WideClient.Exe and WideClient.ini in any desired folder (I
recommend a dedicated folder called WideClient).
2. Drag a shortcut for WideClient onto your desktop.
3. Configure the WideClient.ini (assuming using TCP/IP)

Configuration of WideClient.Ini:
To use TCP/IP in a client you only need to add this line to the [Config]
section of the WideClient.ini file (add the [Config]
section too if your ini file hasn’t even got one!):
ServerName=NameOfServer
The ServerName is the name you gave to the PC on which you will be running
Flight Simulator with WideServer. If you prefer
you can use the Server’s IP address instead of the name, thus:
ServerIPAddr=192.168.0.3

That's it.. start the FS, start the client, and then start the apps on the
second Pc...

Regards
Mikael K

--
Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
Home Airport: EKBI

Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:47:22 AM

> Configuration of WideClient.Ini:
> To use TCP/IP in a client you only need to add this line to the
> [Config] section of the WideClient.ini file (add the [Config]
> section too if your ini file hasn’t even got one!):
> ServerName=NameOfServer
> The ServerName is the name you gave to the PC on which you will be
> running Flight Simulator with WideServer. If you prefer
> you can use the Server’s IP address instead of the name, thus:
> ServerIPAddr=192.168.0.3

The one consideration, is that at least for me, I have my home network
set up with a router for both wired and wireless. The router provides
each machine with DHCP IP address. Generally, these addresses don't
change but I find sometimes after power outage the wireless clients
get new IP adresses assigned. So you need to find out the server
IP address, and if you lose connectivity you might need to check to
see if it changed.

Perhaps someone else knows, but unless you have a host file setup I
don't think ServerName=NameOfServer will resolve?

scott s.
..
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:58:57 AM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:32:34 GMT, Mikael K wrote:

> On 28-Apr-2005, Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> sounds like it would be good idea to set up WideFS experiment to one
>> of the older PCs. Any known websites describing WideFS configuration?
>
> Configuring WideFS is quite easy.. and doc's are included in the download.
> Just remember, that WideFS needs a registration-key to work. Can be bought
> as standalone (23 euro), or as bundle with FSUIPC (35 euro) on
> simmarket.com.
> And it needs FSUIPC also...

It took me all of ten minutes to set up WideFS a few years ago. It has
been rock solid ever since being installed.

There are times when I use WideFS to run external programs linked to FS
over the network, and at other times I use MaxiVista so I can use the
monitor directly from the flightsim computer.

It's nice to have so many options open! ;)

Bill
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:02:03 AM

I just use the network name of the PC that has flight sim on it and it works
just fine. It really isn't difficult to set up. Five minutes if you read
the first part of the documentation.

"scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.xcom> wrote in message
> "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com> wrote in
>

>> Configuration of WideClient.Ini:
>> To use TCP/IP in a client you only need to add this line to the
>> [Config] section of the WideClient.ini file (add the [Config]
>> section too if your ini file hasn’t even got one!):
>> ServerName=NameOfServer
>> The ServerName is the name you gave to the PC on which you will be
>> running Flight Simulator with WideServer. If you prefer
>> you can use the Server’s IP address instead of the name, thus:
>> ServerIPAddr=192.168.0.3
>
> The one consideration, is that at least for me, I have my home network
> set up with a router for both wired and wireless. The router provides
> each machine with DHCP IP address. Generally, these addresses don't
> change but I find sometimes after power outage the wireless clients
> get new IP adresses assigned. So you need to find out the server
> IP address, and if you lose connectivity you might need to check to
> see if it changed.
>
> Perhaps someone else knows, but unless you have a host file setup I
> don't think ServerName=NameOfServer will resolve?
>
> scott s.
> .
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:03:44 AM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:47:22 GMT, scott s. wrote:

> Perhaps someone else knows, but unless you have a host file setup I
> don't think ServerName=NameOfServer will resolve?

That works just fine without any host file setup. WideFS will pick up the
NameOfServer from the network directly. That's the point of using that in
lieu of a fixed IP... ;)

Bill
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:31:44 AM

On 28-Apr-2005, "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.xcom> wrote:

> Perhaps someone else knows, but unless you have a host file setup I
> don't think ServerName=NameOfServer will resolve?

Actually.. in a small network like yours, it won't be a problem for the Pc's
to resolve the new IP-address.
Due to a function called "Browser Service" built into all Windows versions,
these machines will theoreticly be able to find each other within a max of
45 minutes. (typical 1-2 minutes).
So just use the server-name in the .ini..

If you doubt, then just make a small test after the next power outage, by
opening a command-prompt and type: ping [pc-name].
I will eat my old hat, if the pc-name wouldn't be resolved within a couple
of minutes.. ;o)

Regards
Mikael K

--
Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
Home Airport: EKBI

Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:03:34 AM

Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:47:22 GMT, scott s. wrote:
>
>> Perhaps someone else knows, but unless you have a host file setup I
>> don't think ServerName=NameOfServer will resolve?
>
> That works just fine without any host file setup. WideFS will pick up
> the NameOfServer from the network directly. That's the point of using
> that in lieu of a fixed IP... ;)

Thanks. I didn't think that XP was broadcasting host names across
the LAN. Spent too much time in a NetBeui environment!

scott s.
..
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:38:12 AM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 04:03:34 GMT, scott s. wrote:

>> That works just fine without any host file setup. WideFS will pick up
>> the NameOfServer from the network directly. That's the point of using
>> that in lieu of a fixed IP... ;)
>>

> Thanks. I didn't think that XP was broadcasting host names across
> the LAN. Spent too much time in a NetBeui environment!

I am just as happy to have left that behind. Lord, XP's networking is
lightyears ahead of my original Lantastic network... ;)

Twenty years ago I had a farm of 10 machines running 4 USRobotics 28.8
modems each for the Vocations Central BBS. That was an administrative
nightmare at times... ;)

Bill
!