Best CD/DVD Colour Printer

I am looking at buying a printer capable of printing direct to CD/DVD.

I did a search on Google first, but the words I was using came back with a
load of emails that were not exactly the topic I was looking for.

Firstly..Which is the best printer to go for, and what printer model/make is
in your opinion the best, cheapest/dearest (so I have comparisons/pros and
cons).
Secondly: Cost of replacement cartridges, is there any printer where
cartridges are relatively inexpensive, and do you find that if you own this
printer, you tend to use up any specific colour quicker (except black which
I would think would be used more).

I have currently been looking at the Epson R200 and Epson R300, I have found
some good prices on the Epson R200, but am trying to see if there are any
other models avail, or cheaper printers that print direct to the CD/DVD.

I currenly have tubs of 50, 25 CDs/DVDs.. Do I need special DVDs/CDs to
print on, or are CDs / DVDs with "white" tops ok? some of my CDs are white
unprinted, others are coloured or have manufacturers details/names etc.

Currently I use very good software by ExpressIt, which has pre-cut labels
the size as DVDs/Cds, and a basic Epson C42 colour inkjet printer.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Chris
6 answers Last reply
More about best colour printer

    I can only comment on the Epson Stylus Photo 950.
    I have had this printer since it was released and it is fantastic.
    The only time I ever had any trouble with it was when I used compatible
    inks. Simply replacing the compatibles with genuine Epson restored the
    previous excellent behaviour.

    I find that all cartridges are empty at roughly the same time. Obviously
    Black Ink is used much more than any other, but the 950 has 2 black
    cartridges.

    You will need Inkjet Printable Media to use this printer. These are cheap
    enough at sites like www.bigpockets.co.uk

    This printer comes with Epson PrintCD.

    You won't want this printer as it is not cheap, but I would expect the same
    performance from the R200 and R300.

    --
    Mick Doherty
    http://dotnetrix.co.uk/nothing.html

    "Chris King" <chris-king@nospam.boltblue.com> wrote in message
    >I am looking at buying a printer capable of printing direct to CD/DVD.
    >
    > I did a search on Google first, but the words I was using came back with a
    > load of emails that were not exactly the topic I was looking for.
    >
    > Firstly..Which is the best printer to go for, and what printer model/make
    > is in your opinion the best, cheapest/dearest (so I have comparisons/pros
    > and cons).
    > Secondly: Cost of replacement cartridges, is there any printer where
    > cartridges are relatively inexpensive, and do you find that if you own
    > this printer, you tend to use up any specific colour quicker (except black
    > which I would think would be used more).
    >
    > I have currently been looking at the Epson R200 and Epson R300, I have
    > found some good prices on the Epson R200, but am trying to see if there
    > are any other models avail, or cheaper printers that print direct to the
    > CD/DVD.
    >
    > I currenly have tubs of 50, 25 CDs/DVDs.. Do I need special DVDs/CDs to
    > print on, or are CDs / DVDs with "white" tops ok? some of my CDs are white
    > unprinted, others are coloured or have manufacturers details/names etc.
    >
    > Currently I use very good software by ExpressIt, which has pre-cut labels
    > the size as DVDs/Cds, and a basic Epson C42 colour inkjet printer.
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated :)
    >

    > Chris

    ---

    Cheers Michael

    I got my R200 yesterday, and took the plunge, whilst I could have bought it
    online/cheaper from mail order, I just went and got it from PC World
    (convenience).

    Sales guy there was actually very helpful (scary for PC World!), not only
    did he track the printer down on the shelves when I failed to find it, he
    also gave me a black Epson cartridge free of charge (value £11.99), to
    offset it against the "cheaper web price". i.e. Web Price £69.99 (not
    including postage), and store price of £84.99. So it was more swings and
    roundabouts as to the extra cost I paid. Then he helped me track down all
    the PC World Compatible cartridge (E35-E40) - not used theirs before, but he
    did say they had improved the quality of ink on them in the last few years
    (typical sales speak I expect!), and also spent a long time with me checking
    all the CDRs finding me a box of Inkjet Printable. This was one thing that
    threw him, as he did not even know they existed - tut tut! However he learnt
    something, and we did find a box of 10 for £6.99. Anyway, the printer is
    brill, and I am running it alongside my C42 (since I have loads of spare ink
    cartridges for it and can use it for more generic printing etc) I managed to
    order a tub of Inkjet100 DVD+Rs for £20 (exc postage) and 50 Inkjet CDRs
    for £10 (ex postage), and have now looked at the web address you posted..

    This web site looks very good, and definately undercuts prices I have been
    finding.. I assume you order from them yourself? If so what is your opinion?
    Are they fast delivering? Any problems?
    I do however see the compatible cartridges they sell for the Epson R200 are
    just over £3 - reduced from £5.75 - WOW! I will definately go here in future
    (just got my PC World set as spares). Only thing is the pic of the cartridge
    is the wrong shape, but I assume they are just using a generic pic for the
    web.

    Many thanks for the web address!! :)

    Chris

    I often buy from PC World myself. They are so convenient, and, although very
    rare, on occasion they are just as cheap if not cheaper than you can find on
    the web. Their Media is always expensive though.

    Yes I use BigPockets all the time and have never had any problem with them,
    although I've never bought Ink from them (for ink I generally use
    www.inkfactory.com). Whenever I order from BigPockets I get next day
    delivery.

    They use Generic pictures for Cartridges and CD's/DVD's, but you will get
    the right product.

    I hope you're going to be as happy with your new printer as I am with mine.

    --

    > Cheers Michael
    >
    > I got my R200 yesterday, and took the plunge, whilst I could have bought
    > it
    > online/cheaper from mail order, I just went and got it from PC World
    > (convenience).
    >
    > Sales guy there was actually very helpful (scary for PC World!), not only
    > did he track the printer down on the shelves when I failed to find it, he
    > also gave me a black Epson cartridge free of charge (value £11.99), to
    > offset it against the "cheaper web price". i.e. Web Price £69.99 (not
    > including postage), and store price of £84.99. So it was more swings and
    > roundabouts as to the extra cost I paid. Then he helped me track down all
    > the PC World Compatible cartridge (E35-E40) - not used theirs before, but
    > he
    > did say they had improved the quality of ink on them in the last few years
    > (typical sales speak I expect!), and also spent a long time with me
    > checking
    > all the CDRs finding me a box of Inkjet Printable. This was one thing that
    > threw him, as he did not even know they existed - tut tut! However he
    > learnt
    > something, and we did find a box of 10 for £6.99. Anyway, the printer is
    > brill, and I am running it alongside my C42 (since I have loads of spare
    > ink
    > cartridges for it and can use it for more generic printing etc) I managed
    > order a tub of Inkjet100 DVD+Rs for £20 (exc postage) and 50 Inkjet CDRs
    > for £10 (ex postage), and have now looked at the web address you posted..
    >
    > This web site looks very good, and definately undercuts prices I have been
    > finding.. I assume you order from them yourself? If so what is your
    > opinion?
    > Are they fast delivering? Any problems?
    > I do however see the compatible cartridges they sell for the Epson R200
    > are
    > just over £3 - reduced from £5.75 - WOW! I will definately go here in
    > future
    > (just got my PC World set as spares). Only thing is the pic of the
    > cartridge is the wrong shape, but I assume they are just using a generic
    > pic for the web.
    >
    > Many thanks for the web address!! :)
    >
    > Chris

    ---

    Never had a local PC World until last year, our nearest was in Canterbury,
    nice to get one in the home town, although in the past in my store, had a
    distinct lack of staff, and staff that knew what you asked, either that or
    they never had what I wanted (i.e. it was on the web site, but when you got
    to the store it was sold out or not in that branch!). I suppose I was lucky
    they had at least 10 Jewel Cases Inkjet CD-Rs, as least it has given me
    10Cds, at least the rest are on order. Gosh I am going to have loads of
    CDs/DVDs, as I already have 100DVD-Rs, 100CDRs, and 5 each of DVD-RW and
    DVD+RW. At least I can use these up with lablels etc! I notice they now do a
    good cheap range of PC Line CDRs etc, but not Inkjet printable though.

    Looking at Inkfactory, I see their Jetec colour cartridges for the Epson are
    about £10.99 (compared to Epsons own price in PC World at £11.99), and
    whilst they are selling them as "buy one, get one free" on each colour, I
    see Inkfactory are charging £14.99 for each original Epson R200.

    I checked the R200 cartridges on BigPockets and found they had a whopping
    saving on there.
    Firstly they normally charged £5.75 for each colour, but were now selling
    them at £3.15 to £3.70 each.
    Plus they were selling them as a bundle of 6 cartridges with 1 extra black
    one free (making 7 in total) for £18 (which included P&P / Delivery - Cost
    is £15 inc vat with no delivery cost!).
    I have ordered the set at £18, I will let you know how they perform, but it
    might be a while since I have the supplied Epson ones in the printer new at
    present.

    Chris

    > Looking at Inkfactory, I see their Jetec colour cartridges for the Epson
    > are about £10.99 (compared to Epsons own price in PC World at £11.99), and
    > whilst they are selling them as "buy one, get one free" on each colour, I
    > see Inkfactory are charging £14.99 for each original Epson R200.
    >
    > I checked the R200 cartridges on BigPockets and found they had a whopping
    > saving on there.
    > Firstly they normally charged £5.75 for each colour, but were now selling
    > them at £3.15 to £3.70 each.
    > Plus they were selling them as a bundle of 6 cartridges with 1 extra black
    > one free (making 7 in total) for £18 (which included P&P / Delivery -
    > Cost is £15 inc vat with no delivery cost!).
    > I have ordered the set at £18, I will let you know how they perform, but
    > it might be a while since I have the supplied Epson ones in the printer
    > new at present.
    >
    > Chris

    I realise that InkFactory are more expensive than BigPockets, but BigPockets
    do not sell Genuine Epson cartridges, only compatibles. I have had trouble
    with my prints when using compatibles, so now I only use genuine and that's
    why I use InkFactory. I believe the ink used in your printer is Dye based,
    whereas, my ink is Pigment based, so you may find that there is no real
    difference between the compatible and the genuine cartridges. In fact there
    are a lot of very happy compatible ink users around, and it's definately
    worth a shot at using the cheaper cartridges since they have the potential
    to save you a lot of money.

    --
    Mick Doherty
    http://dotnetrix.co.uk/nothing.html

    ---

    Chris,

    I did have the same problem with expensive cartridges for my Epson R200
    before.
    Even I bought OEM one, it is still expensive.

    I have very good experience with some bulk ink system I obtained from
    http://www.InkRepublic.com

    It really saves me a lot!

    I have heard that some bulk ink system is not good for printer, that's
    because of the sponged system, but InkRepublic.com's kit is spongeless
    which also doesnt cause the clogging or leaking. (of course, you have
    to do the head cleaning once a while)

    Check it out then:
    http://www.InkRepublic.com
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/VideoClips.asp