Dell Axim X30: 312 Mhz vs. 624 Mhz??

September 20, 2004 7:19:07 PM

I'm considering getting an Axim X30. I'm puzzled, though, about
whether to go with the 312 Mhz model or the 624 Mhz model. With what
applications does the clock speed make a noticeable difference? Are
there cases when the performance of the 312 Mhz model is simply
annoying compared to its faster sibling?

the straussGuy
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 9:17:36 PM

For what its worth, Dell is currently running a deal on the 624Mhz at $314,
with the X30 with half the speed only about $40 less, it may tip the favor of
your decision. One thing in the "devil's advocate" side is that I have heard
(sorry for the hersay) that you probably will not notice the diffference
between the 312 and the 624 based most the PPC apps. For what that is
worth.

-PL

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 11:44:43 PM

"Peter LaMotte" <peterlamotte@passport.com> wrote in message
For what its worth, Dell is currently running a deal on the 624Mhz at $314,
with the X30 with half the speed only about $40 less, it may tip the favor
of
your decision. One thing in the "devil's advocate" side is that I have
heard
(sorry for the hersay) that you probably will not notice the diffference
between the 312 and the 624 based most the PPC apps. For what that is
worth.

Wouldn't the increased clock frequency let the user multitask better?

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

I know the technology is different ... but it seems to me more horsepower is
better. If you ever experienced 300mz desktop and also a 600mz or so ...
there is a noticable difference in performance.

____________________
Ann
"the Strauss Guy" <StraussGuy@HotPOP.com> wrote in message
> I'm considering getting an Axim X30. I'm puzzled, though, about
> whether to go with the 312 Mhz model or the 624 Mhz model. With what
> applications does the clock speed make a noticeable difference? Are
> there cases when the performance of the 312 Mhz model is simply
> annoying compared to its faster sibling?
>
> the straussGuy
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:58:42 AM

The faster processor is gnerally worth the difference... that said, it's
possible to set the processor speed to the lower speed (or automatic) to
increase battery life and toggle it up when the need arises in the future.

One example is that Skype VOIP requires 400mhz or above.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:01:50 AM

The 624 model comes with a cradle and the 312 does not, as well. So if a
cradle would be of interest to you, you're only paying about $10 more for
the increased speed. When I bought the 312 over the 624, there was about a
$100 difference, and I was planning to get a case that would not allow
convenient cradle use. I'm not sure that I would make the same decision
today.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Peter LaMotte" <peterlamotte@passport.com> wrote in message
For what its worth, Dell is currently running a deal on the 624Mhz at $314,
with the X30 with half the speed only about $40 less, it may tip the favor
of
your decision. One thing in the "devil's advocate" side is that I have
heard
(sorry for the hersay) that you probably will not notice the diffference
between the 312 and the 624 based most the PPC apps. For what that is
worth.

-PL

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 9:41:41 AM

Battery life on the 624, which always runs the CPU
at 1.55V, is about half that of the 312, which
always runs at 1.25V. The 312 can be clocked at
416 w/o problem (and it still is 1.25V; and the
624 is still 1.55V at 208), but unless an app is
CPU bound, it won't make any real difference.
Search google for the 624 versus 312 comparison
study, if battery life is a concern. I think it
was done by/available at aximsite.com.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

How did you up the clock speed on the 312 to 416? I have the Wibble Wobble
xScale tool (used it on my X5) but it didn't seem to work at all on the X30.

Tom

!