XP Service pack 2

Noticed that it's now available.

Has anyone any bad experiences with it? I know SP1 gave some troubles.

Mark
8 answers Last reply
More about service pack

    Batts wrote:

    > Noticed that it's now available.
    >
    > Has anyone any bad experiences with it? I know SP1 gave some troubles.
    >
    > Mark

    A lot of people are reporting problems, some of which may be due to the
    security enhancements of SP2.

    posted here.

    SP2 is considered a major "Critical Update" and updates over
    5 million lines of code in Windows XP. You'll experience
    stronger security and a bit more performance by installing SP2.

    If you are relying on some negative information about SP2
    found in newsgroups, remember that only folks with issues
    tend to post and many issues are not even related to SP2.

    Of all the computers I have personally installed SP2 on,
    I have yet to encounter any installation issues.

    List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

    Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

    I would suggest performing the following maintenance prior to
    installing SP2:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    After installing SP2, run the above maintenance utilities again, then perform a Defrag:

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Batts" wrote:

    | Noticed that it's now available.
    |
    | Has anyone any bad experiences with it? I know SP1 gave some troubles.
    |
    | Mark

    I have installed the Service pack two on two out of the three XP computers
    here at work and have only had one prob. I like it so far haven't had any
    really terrible problems. Th only problem I have is that the security center
    will not recognis our norton corprate editon antivirus. I keeps showing a
    read bar and saying status is unknown. I called the SP2 tech services line
    and they told me to turn the virus monitoring off. I don't want to have to
    turn a feature off if I absolutely don't have to. This is the only issue I
    have had so far. otherwise so far so good.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > SP2 is considered a major "Critical Update" and updates over
    > 5 million lines of code in Windows XP. You'll experience
    > stronger security and a bit more performance by installing SP2.
    >
    > If you are relying on some negative information about SP2
    > found in newsgroups, remember that only folks with issues
    > tend to post and many issues are not even related to SP2.
    >
    > Of all the computers I have personally installed SP2 on,
    > I have yet to encounter any installation issues.
    >
    > List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2
    >
    > Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx
    >
    > I would suggest performing the following maintenance prior to
    > installing SP2:
    >
    > Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
    >
    > How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
    >
    > After installing SP2, run the above maintenance utilities again, then perform a Defrag:
    >
    > HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Batts" wrote:
    >

    > | Noticed that it's now available.
    > |
    > | Has anyone any bad experiences with it? I know SP1 gave some troubles.
    > |
    > | Mark

    Welcome to the Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Information Center!
    This page answers the most frequently asked questions about SP2 and your
    Norton antivirus and firewall products:
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

    Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883792&Product=windowsxpsp2

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message news:OksCaK3iEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    > You'll experience
    > stronger security and a bit more performance by installing SP2.

    Please cite sourses for *more performance*, or is this more of the same gooblegook you spouted when SP1 came around, with your claims that windows became faster, and you were told by certain MVPs to stop it!

    SP2 is specific mostly for security, and even their *Top !0 Reasons* for installing SP2 doesn't mention a word about "more performance"

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

    All you need to do is scan these boards for problems others are having with
    SP2. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll have any trouble at all.
    However, "To be forewarned is to be forearmed" and checking the various
    issues you will be able to see the types of issues people are having, how
    they were resolved and whether for the most part they were bugs or just a
    case of needing the proper updates for hardware and software for
    compatibility purposes.

    You really don't need to start a thread for this, you can either scan these
    boards or go to Google, click groups and type SP2 in the search box and
    you'll find out a lot about what types of issues users with such problems
    are having.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Batts" <p4gd9uj02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > Noticed that it's now available.
    >
    > Has anyone any bad experiences with it? I know SP1 gave some troubles.
    >
    > Mark

    I believe I said "bit more performance" and it can be documented
    by visiting www.pcpitstop.com before and after installing SP2.
    Also, the statement is based on my personal observation after
    installing SP2 on a variety of different PCs.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Tom" wrote:

    Please cite sourses for *more performance*, or is this more of the same gooblegook you spouted when SP1 came
    around, with your claims that windows became faster, and you were told by certain MVPs to stop it!

    SP2 is specific mostly for security, and even their *Top !0 Reasons* for installing SP2 doesn't mention a word
    about "more performance"

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:11:03 -0700, "lost"
    <lost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have installed the Service pack two on two out of the three XP computers
    >here at work and have only had one prob. I like it so far haven't had any
    >really terrible problems. Th only problem I have is that the security center
    >will not recognis our norton corprate editon antivirus. I keeps showing a
    >read bar and saying status is unknown.

    It's a NAV problem.

    >I called the SP2 tech services line
    >and they told me to turn the virus monitoring off. I don't want to have to
    >turn a feature off if I absolutely don't have to. This is the only issue I
    >have had so far. otherwise so far so good.

    Turning the WinXP SP2 monitoring off, doesn't turn off NAV.

Microsoft Windows XP