WHY INTEL'S CHIPSET SHORTAGE HAPPENED

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Once again, Intel going nasty this time with 3rd. party chipset manufacturers.

I believe this is a common practice for them since the 386 days.

Shame on you Intel.

This situation arose because Intel wanted the market and the money associated with it, a short term gain at long term expense. It play some really heavy power games here, more or less forcing companies to buy a chipset with each chip because bundles were available, singles were not. Want CPUs in a timely fashion? Guess what you have to buy? This lead to a glut of gray market chipsets at blow out prices. Intel got the full price for the chipsets, with, ummm, "generously spread marketing dollars" to soothe the pain. See the Centrino programme for more.

Basically what happened was it killed its so called friends, and for a while, that worked just fine. It left just enough wiggle room for the Taiwanese chipset makers to survive, but barely, and I mean barely. Intel made sure there was no money in chipsets unless it decreed that there would be, and since it can shut that pipe down on a whim in less time than it takes to get a chipset to market, the sane vendors ran for the door. No one else was dumb enough to enter the Intel chipset market, and this situation is likely to continue. They planned the killing, and, er, executed.

Full story here:
http://theinquirer.net/?article=29654

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
do you know why intels chipset shortage really happened well give up? cause the martians stole intel 865 chips in order to power there martian deathray agianst there arch enemy's the uranians who were buildin a bomb to destroy mars with but since the martians used the deathray first they wiped out all uranians and peace now reigns through the milky way but for how long? either im telling the truth or i'm high agian i can never really tell(man this weed is too strong)

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
lol, man you are funny Luminaris...

I don't like Intel doing that at all, but then again, this is coming from an anti-Intel AMD fanboy... :roll: I also heard that Intel chipsets were bad, and that Prescotts run at 80C... from anti-Intel AMD fanboys... :evil:

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah well, tell those anti Intel fanboys that Intel chipsets may not be the best but, they certainly do clock higher and IMO are more stable than anything else. :wink: