High temperatures on my Athlon

chillyman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2005
Hi,

Recently my temperatures have begun to shoot skyhigh, much possibly because of my attempts with overclocking. I was previously running my system FSB at 180 MHz, but lowered to 170 when things got a bit funny.

Since then, my system has become more stable but still is the issue of VERY high temps. I kept my old Atlhon-XP (1800+) around 45-50 degrees. My current one (2600+) idles around 60 BUT reaches almost 70C(!) when put to work. Twice has my bios attempted to shut it down already and I think I'm in need of some better cooling.

I'm currently using an ArcticCooling Copper-Silent rated for Athlon 2800+ (should I buy another, and if so which one) and my case is a Silentum T3, also from ArcticCooling. Temperatures are kinda high on my GFX too so maybe it has to do with the fact that my case is suffering from a bad airflow?

Hope you guys can help.
Cheers

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I would definetly take a good look at the layout of your case, make sure that the air gets sucked in the front and out through the back and or top, and also that you dont have a ton of flat IDE cables blocking the airflow path. You could invest in a pair of the round IDE cables for cheap. Another thing to look at is...when was the last time you took the CPU Heat-sync off? You might want to get some arctic thermal paste and give it a fresh shot of that which might bring your temps down a bit. Right off the bat though, i would say that its bad airflow. I just googled your case and it appears that its pretty well set up in the cooling area...do the 4 case fans come pre-installed? or did you have to put those in yourself? It could be that you installed them backwards and your just sucking all the air in with no way for it to escape.

EDIT: Another thing that i just noticed. What do you have overclocked in your system? If you have your CPU overclocked past the speed of a 2800+ (which is the max your cooler is rated for) then it isnt powerful enough to do the job. So getting something that is rated up to 3400+ might be a quick fix.

chillyman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2005
The special case design is supposed to stimulate air-flow by creating low pressure at the bottom thanks to the two top-mounted exaust fans (they came with the case, I haven't changed anything), this should ensure proper cooling - but it doesn't. The air that comes out at the back of the case isn't very hot so I suspect warm air is trapped inside the case.

Don't have a clue how to fix that... Oh, and about the overclock:

Basically, it's a 4Mhz FSB boost... so it should't matter much but I think it might be that thermal paste was crap. I borrowed it from a friend so the tube was already opened... I remember having second thoughs about using it because the paste might be old or something like that, anyways I did and now I think it was a mistake. Should I buy a new paste and if so what brand?

Btw dvdpiddy, I said 60 degrees IDLE - not load. It can definately reach higher temps than that my friend... and my piece is nowhere near your type of frequency either.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
What are system temps? Get some arctic silver 5 and if you have the money, a Thermalright SI-97 HS. My XP-M 2600+ is overclocked 600Mhz and hits about 42C on load. If you already have two exhaust fans, then hot air shouldn't be trapped. If you have the money, you could get a whole new PC...

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Usually if your system starts overheating or getting hotter its because it not getting the air flow it once did. This is very common with computers. check all the intake fans make sure they are not full of dust. Blow out the cpu heatsink with compressed air. This is a common problem especially in laptops.

chillyman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2005
I keep the inside of my case always clean ;)

Btw, the problem was with the airflow. I had to adjust some of the cables to make more room inside the case. Apparently, my type of case needs some special requirements in order to work effectively, and also I needed to put the damn lid back on! :lol:

Well, problem solved. Running cooler and quiet now...

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
well i have an atholon 1700+ and when i check the temps it says its going at 70-71C so i dont know maybe its just an old cpu you know but still it runs fine i play Cs:source and other games too. but i do get worried and the funny part is this cpu isnt even overclocked or anything