Print to HP Deskjet 5550/5650/5850 w/ single WinXP driver?

Can anyone suggest a method to print to any Deskjet model that might
be connected to my PC, without having to separately install every
single Deskjet model's drivers? IOW, is there a universal HP Deskjet
driver for Windows XP with good printing quality?
10 answers Last reply
More about print deskjet 5550 5650 5850 single winxp driver

    "Chris Spencer" <chrisspencer02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone suggest a method to print to any Deskjet model that might
    > be connected to my PC, without having to separately install every
    > single Deskjet model's drivers? IOW, is there a universal HP Deskjet
    > driver for Windows XP with good printing quality?

    The 5650 and 5850 are the same printer but the 5850 includes the built-in
    networking. The DeskJet 5550 driver should work for any of those you listed. If
    you really want to print to any DeskJet the DeskJet 550 driver is a basic PCL
    driver that would work for many of the PCL based printers, which includes
    nearly all the DeskJet's EXCEPT the 810, 820, 7xx and DeskJet 32XX, 33XX, and
    34XX printers. See
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07333.

    Regards,

    Bob Headrick wrote:
    > "Chris Spencer" <chrisspencer02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone suggest a method to print to any Deskjet model that
    might
    > > be connected to my PC, without having to separately install every
    > > single Deskjet model's drivers? IOW, is there a universal HP
    Deskjet
    > > driver for Windows XP with good printing quality?
    >
    > The 5650 and 5850 are the same printer but the 5850 includes the
    built-in
    > networking. The DeskJet 5550 driver should work for any of those you
    listed. If
    > you really want to print to any DeskJet the DeskJet 550 driver is a
    basic PCL
    > driver that would work for many of the PCL based printers, which
    includes
    > nearly all the DeskJet's EXCEPT the 810, 820, 7xx and DeskJet 32XX,
    33XX, and
    > 34XX printers. See

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07333.

    Thank you for the reply, but I have tried the 550 driver with my
    5550/5650 printers and the color printing quality is dismal. I cannot
    use this solution.

    If anyone else is wondering: I tried the more recent Deskjet 990c
    drivers, and they seem to work well.

    > Thank you for the reply, but I have tried the 550 driver with my
    > 5550/5650 printers and the color printing quality is dismal. I cannot
    > use this solution.

    If you are going to print only to the DeskJet 5550, 56500 and 5850 the DeskJet
    5550 driver would be the best choice. I thought you were asking what driver
    you could use as a universal driver for any DeskJet; the 550 driver is a least
    common denominator for the PCL based Deskjets.

    Regards,

    Seems odd that it worked diff printer totally to 5xxx series

    "John" <boyzo@msnl.com> wrote in message
    > <chrisspencer02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> If anyone else is wondering: I tried the more recent DeskJet 990c
    >> drivers, and they seem to work well.
    >>
    > Seems odd that it worked diff printer totally to 5xxx series

    They are not so different in internal architecture, even though the print
    cartridges and electronics are entirely different - the DeskJet 990 and the
    5550 are both PCL3-Enhanced printers. For both of these most of the image
    processing is done in the printer, except in the highest resolution mode.

    Regards,

    Just put the 990c corp driver on and YES IT prints to my 5652
    WOW
    I have at 7660/5550/5652/7350/930 ;-)

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "John" <boyzo@msnl.com> wrote in message
    >> <chrisspencer02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> If anyone else is wondering: I tried the more recent DeskJet 990c
    >>> drivers, and they seem to work well.
    >>>
    >> Seems odd that it worked diff printer totally to 5xxx series
    >
    > They are not so different in internal architecture, even though the print
    > cartridges and electronics are entirely different - the DeskJet 990 and
    > the 5550 are both PCL3-Enhanced printers. For both of these most of the
    > image processing is done in the printer, except in the highest resolution
    > mode.
    >
    > Regards,

    990c DRIVER will not support Ret4 OR borderless of course
    text web pages will be fine
    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "John" <boyzo@msnl.com> wrote in message
    >> <chrisspencer02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> If anyone else is wondering: I tried the more recent DeskJet 990c
    >>> drivers, and they seem to work well.
    >>>
    >> Seems odd that it worked diff printer totally to 5xxx series
    >
    > They are not so different in internal architecture, even though the print
    > cartridges and electronics are entirely different - the DeskJet 990 and
    > the 5550 are both PCL3-Enhanced printers. For both of these most of the
    > image processing is done in the printer, except in the highest resolution
    > mode.
    >
    > Regards,

    You don't get RET 4 support with 990c driver .

    > You don't get RET 4 support with 990c driver .

    Actually you do in a DeskJet 5550 if you install the #58 photo cartridge. The
    driver sends graphics information and the printer does the rendering. It will
    use the photo cartridge appropriately. You will not get the 4800 dpi modes
    with the DeskJet 990 driver when using the DeskJet 5550.

    Regards,

Printers Deskjet Hewlett Packard Peripherals