Problem Installing AMD 64 X2 4800

Vorsim

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I recently started my first pc build and not surprisingly have messed up.

I bought a boxed, retail AMD64 X2 4800+ the packaging of which mainly consists of a green ‘egg carton-type’ cardboard. Anyway when I opened the box I found that the cardboard had cracked, resulting in there being a small speck of this material on the heat transfer material on the underneath of the heatsink.

So I thought it would be a good idea to pick this piece of cardboard off with my fingers. Thanks to me being such a dumbass there is now a 2mm2 hole in the heat transfer material.

As I see it I have three options;

1)Carry on regardless hoping it won’t affect my CPU. It may just be wishful thinking but the hole isn’t that big (is it?) and if you can imagine it the edges of the hole are jagged so these may spread out to cover the hole once I install the heatsink.

2)Buy a new heatsink.

3)Buy some heat transfer material in a tube and use a tiny smidgeon of it to patch up the hole

4)Give up – be satisfied with my xbox360 and use the 2000 euro worth of pc components as expensive paper weights / door stops.

Do any of you have any suggestions or ideas – is it that big a deal, I am overeacting?, if I carry on regardless could it destroy my CPU?

Sorry for such a long post

Craigmandu

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Depends on how safe you want to be. Since you obviously spent some money on this processor, be SAFE and go buy some thermal compound. Available at any computer store near you for a few bucks.

Don't go stupid with it and only use a small dab to replace the lost compound.

RichPLS

Champion
You need to first clean the Heatsink using isoprol alchohol and a lint free cloth to remove all the residues including finger oil.
Then apply a dab (BB size) pellet of Artic Silver 5 and spread around in a thin layer using a credit card or the like.

If you want peace of mind, buy som AS5 and appply as stated in other posts.

I had a similar incident with my X2 4400 and ignored it, assuming the hole would fill itself under the pressure of the heatsink. It currently runs 38°C at idle and 45°C under load using the stock hsf and case fan - no oc'ing. I have an Antec Sonata-II case which has a 120mm rear fan. I'm not even using the cases cooling duct.

linux_0

Splendid
Do as RichPLS and HawkEye22 suggested!

You should not mix thermal compounds so you must remove the old thermal pad completely with alcohol and apply new heatsink compound.

Use a credit card or something similar to spread out the heatsink compound, never touch it with your fingers or allow anything to come in contact with it.

Refer to the AS5 website for details.

Semper Fi Linux on! :D

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
That's a good tip. I wanted to add, once you've used the credit card to spread the compound, send them to me and i'll clean your credit cards! :lol:

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
i personally wouldnt worry, for a 2mm hole, the thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink melts anyway, when i changed from my 64 3000 to my x2 3800 the top of my processor was covered in thermal paste from the standard amd heatsink, and temp wise it had only ever got to mid thirties, and anyway usually these days mobo's are fitted with max cpu temp limits so when it hits that temp it switches off to avoid damage

in my opinion you aint got owt to worry about, put it in, switch it on, if you can see the temp creeping up in the bios (doing this and listening to music my 3800 is currently at 37 deg c according to asus probe) then get a new heatsink or replace the paste, but i would be suprised if a. a 2mm hole would make a difference anyway, and b. if the paste didnt melt and spread over the hole

do what you think is best tho and it will only cost you a few quid for the best thermal paste

bluesquid

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
I had the same problem with the green carton cracking and a little forest of specks catching in the grease. I wiped the very top layer ever so slightly, and then put the heatsink on the cpu backwards, so a smidge stuck to the heatsink, theni switched it around, and put the heatsink on. Im not worried. I called amd and they said watch the temp in bios, blah blah, you know all that.

they did however say not to use the silver thermal paste, as it is capacitive and can leak out from under the Heatsink, and bridge two points on the mobo. POtentially causing a short.