Screen shot capture?

How do you capture a screen shot in FS9? I notice most of you save them
in jpeg.

Thanks,

John
11 answers Last reply
More about screen shot capture

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:22:49 -0400, John Leeth
    <leethjnospam@adelphia.net> brought the following to our attention:

    >How do you capture a screen shot in FS9? I notice most of you save them in jpeg.
    >
    >Thanks,

    John.. there are a few screen cap utilities. I run FSScreen. It's best
    to save caps as BMP.. then convert to PNG which is a lossless
    compressed file. If you want to email or post a shot.. export or save
    it out [as] a JPG. NTFS file system can compress BMPs well on disk
    without conversion.

    -G

    Use MultiGrab, sometimes known as MGrab. I have tried most of these
    utilities and IMNSHO this one is the best.

    http://fly.to/mwgfx/

    Cheers,

    Quilly

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:25:36 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >Use MultiGrab, sometimes known as MGrab. I have tried most
    >of these utilities and IMNSHO this one is the best.
    >
    >http://fly.to/mwgfx/
    >

    >Cheers,
    >

    >Quilly

    Martin has lots of good utilities.. so I downloaded MGrab right away.
    FSScreen is very simply and saves sequenced bmp filenames.. however
    MGrab has more features. Let me point out some items for screen
    capture in general (bulleted to be concise);

    * BMPs are large files but save fast w/o much processing overhead

    * Converting to PNG is fine but process changes date/time stamp..
    could be a problem if you wait a week or a month

    * Generally convert to PNG in batch mode and delete BMP files
    BMPs can be compressed on disk by NTFS file system

    * PNG format GREAT for the 1 in 10 shot suitable for enhancement
    i.e. typically `it takes ten shots to get a single good one'..

    * Editing and processing of the PNG format.. vector layers such as
    arrows / dashed lines / labels saved at PSP

    * These images have _enh.png or _600x.png appended to filename

    * Once processing is done.. then export as JPG with compress factor
    determined by estimated filesize.. generally in upper 3 - 8% range

    * Post kool shots of your flights on the web. :)

    -Gregory

    John,
    Call me old fashioned, but I simply use the "Print Screen" button on my
    keyboard to capture a screen to the Windows clipboard. Then I hit [ALT][TAB]
    and start up Paintshop Pro (Windows Paint works as well) and paste the
    image. Once I'm done with the image processing, I save it as an uncompressed
    JPEG file. The only trick to this is that you need an image processing
    program that will accept images from the Windows clipboard. Windows Paint
    that comes with whatever flavor of Windows you use will do this, but I don't
    know if it will save images in JPEG format. You can see some of my favorite
    FS2004 aircraft using this method here:
    http://www.fs2004.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-121
    http://www.fs2004.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2494
    http://www.fs2004.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4355
    http://www.fs2004.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2119
    http://www.fs2004.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1798
    http://www.fs2004.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-652

    Randy L.

    "John Leeth" <leethjnospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > How do you capture a screen shot in FS9? I notice most of you save them in
    > jpeg.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > John

    I use YAFSS which works pretty well

    --
    Do you want to join a freelance design team? Can you code or design? Want to
    join a team who is strict on Web standards complacency?
    "John Leeth" <leethjnospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > How do you capture a screen shot in FS9? I notice most of you save them in
    > jpeg.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > John

    that is annoying and slow though lol why make things hard for your self.

    --

    RandyL" <rlink"nospam wrote:
    > John,
    > Call me old fashioned, but I simply use the "Print Screen" button

    Been there, done that!

    You are old -fashioned!
    It is a lot easier and simpler with MGrab. It will put your snapshots
    straight into whatever graphics editing program you prefer. I like Compupic
    and so that is where it goes immediately. When I used to write scenery
    reviews for Computer Pilot, it was a huge help for picking suitable
    screenshots and editing them.

    Cheers,

    Quilly

    Thanks to all who replied to my question. I will get the utilities
    mentioned and see which one I like the best.

    John

    John Leeth wrote:
    > How do you capture a screen shot in FS9? I notice most of you save them
    > in jpeg.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > John

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:14:58 -0700, Lawn Dart
    <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >I've been very happy with "FSScreen" (I do prefer first saving a
    >screen shot in the higher quality .bmp format). With something like
    >FSScreen, I can hit the "PrtScn" key as many times as I like during
    >an uninterrupted flight, then, when I feel like it, I can go into the
    >folder where all the screen shots are saved and deal with them.

    exact same thing here...

    -G

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:32:07 -0600, RandyL wrote:

    > John,
    > Call me old fashioned, but I simply use the "Print Screen" button on my
    > keyboard to capture a screen to the Windows clipboard.

    No, you're simply masochistic! I'd rather just hit a key and keep flying.
    Screenshots can be edited anytime after the flight... ;)

    I still use Grabber2k mainly because of the many ways it may be
    configured...

    Bill

Games Microsoft Video Games