Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

something not good happened... psu or mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 14, 2006 10:50:36 PM

I had an Antec 550W Truepower 2.0 running my computer for the last 3 months. Today, i was opening up world of Warcraft and my computer just shut off. I could smell that wonderful smell of some electronic device burning.
the load on the power supply is as follows:

asus a8n sli premium mobo
2x evga 7800gt's
2x hitachi 250 gb sata drives
seagate 200 gb drive
nec dvd burner
toshiba dvd rom/ cdrw
floppy drive
possibly too much for 550w? maybe just a faulty psu?
the power on light on the motherboard is still on when it's plugged in, but the power button avails nothing.

I put in a different power supply and the computer starts, but it goes no further than stating the processor and the memory. It just sits and does nothing. It doesn't go on to detect any drives or anything.

Did something possibly short on my motherboard and that was the burning smell? Could a short on the mobo have ruined the psu at the same time?

I would figure that a short on the mobo would prevent it from doing anything. Ideas? I have my HDs in raid 0... so would there be any way to recover the array if i did have to get a new mobo? or would i just have to lose the past 2 months worth of homework assignments?

this is also being posted in the psu part of the forum. thank you in advance.

More about : good happened psu mobo

February 15, 2006 4:55:56 PM

Did you try taking apart the comp and inspecting the pieces to try to find out exactly what was "burning"? Try switching out parts one at a time, like you were doing, PS, HDs, vid cards. Run some more test.
As for an actually answer as to PS or MB, I don't know. I can just make suggestions, but i'm a visual person, gotta see it to fix it hehe. 8)

And who does homework anyway? :p 
February 15, 2006 5:05:07 PM

Do what Maxiius said. Find out what fried first.
And to answer your question, yes, if a PSU goes south or a mboard shorts, it could very well destroy your entire computer.

You better have a surge protector, that's all I can say. You can shine a flashlight into your PSU and see if anything blew or leaked or whatnot.
Related resources
February 15, 2006 5:45:05 PM

something on the mobo must've burned out maybe circuit pathway that goes to the harddrive.
February 15, 2006 6:48:43 PM

Or maybe this thread got posted in 2 forums... arrggg this is like a 2nd one in 2 days. I know people are looking for answers fast, but sheesh.
!