Opteron or Athlon64

doncorleone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Im presently searching for a new cpu and i thought about these two models:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ (S939)
Opteron 146 (S939)

Im not quite sure what's the difference between these the two cpus and and i would like to know what would u choose.

lateralex

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Pfft I use to run a k6-2. Does that make cooler? No... probably lamer.

Sad thing is I don't understand anything about the latest setups.

Wanders off to piece together an Opteron setup..

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
AMD Athlon64 3200+ (S939)
Opteron 146 (S939)

For desktop computers Athlon64 is the adequate choice unless you have enough resources (i.e. board and memory) to take advantage of Opteron's overclocking features. Monster-truck-like fanboys go for Opteron because they think it is a server CPU and it is better for their gaming too. They would buy a workstation graphics card too if they could afford it. Server CPUs are made to run multithreaded services (sometimes milions of clients) with a relatively stable load like IIS and COM+ are not exactly fit for multimedia, overclocking and gaming.

RichPLS

Champion
One more time...
There is Zero architectural difference of design from an Opteron 1xx and its Athlon single or dual core counterpart.
Zero. Same cache, same speed, same hyperthreading, same features...
It is just made to more exacting standards and testing.
And in some cases, costs less than the Athlon counterpart, other times it is only $20 to $50 more.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
There is Zero architectural difference of design from an Opteron 1xx and its Athlon single or dual core counterpart.

You better have a look at the following from AMD. Is that what EXACTLY mean?![/quote]

Comparison

t is just made to more exacting standards and testing.

Do you think they put the CPU to test for days?! explain this to me. And they put looser "standards" in Athlon ?! What Standard is that. this is funny

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
One more time...
Zero. Same cache, same speed, same hyperthreading, same features...
It is just made to more exacting standards and testing.
And in some cases, costs less than the Athlon counterpart, other times it is only $20 to $50 more.
1 major difference the opty's are i repeat are taken from the center of the wafer where they have the best i mean best quality because they have least contact with the edges of the container that they are made in

RichPLS

Champion
Well the 1xx Opteron dual cores run at 1.35 volts stock, this assists them in running cooler than the couterpart Athlon which runs at 1.4 volts stock.
The 1xx Opteron performs the same as its counterpart at stock, but cooler, yet generally tops out a bit higher than the Athlon does.
Hence it is a bit better of an enthusists chip.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Well the 1xx Opteron dual cores run at 1.35 volts stock, this assists them in running cooler than the couterpart Athlon which runs at 1.4 volts stock.
The 1xx Opteron performs the same as its counterpart at stock, but cooler, yet generally tops out a bit higher than the Athlon does.
Hence it is a bit better of an enthusists chip.

But you do not benefit from this in your desktop because the CPU load is not stable. When you are running a server, clients get connected - disconnected at a constant ratio or little slope and it is beneficial to maintain the power lower at a time period which is AMD powerNow technology. But when you are multitasking with different loads there is no point of maintaining the power.
Cooler doesn't mean better dude, otherwise people would be overclocking ice cube at 5 GHz :D

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Where did you hear that?! no offense to you but it is way crude to be true.

from my fellow amd fanboy! and dude it is common sense when they make procs the ones closest to the edges are waste and the ones closer to the middle are the best

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
There is no common sense when it comes to CPU manufacturing. Do you think they "cut" wafers like they are cutting cookies?! Or wafers come like chocolate bars?! I really feel sad about people who make decisions based on what is posted on this forum.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
So tell me then, what are the differences between the socket 939 Althon X2-4800 and the Opteron 175?

Opetron 1xx series offer 1-way configuration for sever processing while Athlon X2 series offer ultimate multi-tasking for desktop and end users. I refer you to AMD website for more details, but remember they are similar but they are not the same

Here

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I'm sorry but that's just dumb.
If your talking about friction from rubbing in a shipping container or other box, they would have the same if not more friction rubbing against eachother in the middle, and i don't even think they do that, have them grouped together.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
no no no! you dont understand when they make procs where does the waste come from the edges right right so technically if the edges are where waste comes from then the middle is the best and the closer to the middle the better. look my fellow fanboy told me this a while ago when the opty 1 sereis rolled out for 939

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
There is no common sense when it comes to CPU manufacturing. Do you think they "cut" wafers like they are cutting cookies?! Or wafers come like chocolate bars?! I really feel sad about people who make decisions based on what is posted on this forum.

Yeah actually in some ways it's alot like a cookie cutter. Look into it. That Opterons all come from the center is a dubious supposition, but w/e it doesn't matter.

Meanwhile if someone is unwise enough to get thier advice soley from one forum (and the manufacturer's website) don't feel sad for them. Feel happy for the seller of whatever they bought. Stupidity and ignorance are powerful market forces.

As far as the extensive testing, it's prolly more like: "oh chip A runs at 1.8 Ghz with 1.35 v? Chip A is an Opteron." "oh B runs at 1.8 with 1.4v? chuck it in the A64 pile there." But honestly I don't know.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
actually extensive testing is 24 hour load test! and dont call me stupid.
no offense to you but it is way crude to be true.

I didn't .

Yeah actually in some ways it's alot like a cookie cutter.

does cookie cutter looks like these wafer cuts?

This is simply because you don't have an understanding of CPU manufacturing. Wafers arrive at manufactures "virgin" with no preference meaning that it not determined yet what CPU (within the same technology i.e. 65 nm) will be mounted on them.
You may reduce the number of your posts here and educate yourself. Try to google CPU manufacturing. Here is the hint.

material_1
Material_2

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
listen an listen good when was just gettin into comps i asked many ppl how do they make better procs and they all told the samething best procs come form the middle of the wafer regardlees of what kind of fanboy they were.
Once the wafer full of chips is made each chip is tested while stll on the wafer. If a bad one is found it is marked so that it is not used. Most bad chips tend to be areound the edge of the wafer. The best chips are in the center and are sometimes selected for extended temperature testing for military or industrial use.
you just proved yourself wrong

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Yes. Cutting the chips from the wafer looks EXACTLY like a round piece of dough having square cookies cut out of it. As much as you may value my having a small post count, imma hafta call bullshit on your snide attempts to denigrate my intelligence and ask that you stick to the facts.