Sign in with
Your question

AMD TO CONTINUE GAINING SHARE FROM INTEL

Last response: in CPUs

Will AMD achieve their 30% market share goal for 2007-2008?

Total: 76 votes

• Yes they will, they are doing fine.
  • 69 %
  • Probably not, maybe 25%.
  • 32 %
February 15, 2006 12:09:21 AM

Hi to all:

I'm new to the forum and I'd like to share some more info regarding AMD.

Here's a quote:
Quote:
He now believes that Intel's new processors will not be enough to tempt customers away from AMD, and he expects AMD to be able to hold and increase it share position.

That's music to my ears. :lol: 

It's obvious that the best company with the best processor put to date has to increase their market share.

Forbes has the complete article.
February 15, 2006 12:16:39 AM

Where is teh Who gives a $hit! option!!! :evil: 
Do you own AMD stock? If so, I see your point.
February 15, 2006 12:46:20 AM

I think that AMD will have trouble doing that, because of Conroe. Conroe is so much better.... performance and technology wise.
Related resources
February 15, 2006 10:02:07 AM

Quote:
I think that AMD will have trouble doing that, because of Conroe. Conroe is so much better.... performance and technology wise.

Do you bitch with your buddies over which is better, waxing or shaving? GAWD DAMNED FANBOYS!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2006 10:09:25 AM

Why do you people not just stop telling us what's better in your opinion?

But you're a troll anyways...
February 15, 2006 10:24:20 AM

Only time will tell. :)  But Im looking forward to both Intel and AMD on their future cpus. :) 
February 15, 2006 11:01:54 AM

AMD will lose market share.
February 15, 2006 11:45:31 AM

Quote:

Intel will be broken up for illegal anti-competive behavior and AMD will gain market share.
February 15, 2006 11:59:57 AM

Quote:

Intel will be broken up for illegal anti-competive behavior and AMD will gain market share.
Err... Intel will be broken up for something they never did? Dont fool yourself *lol*
More like they will sue AMD for damaging their image among the customers.
February 15, 2006 12:26:04 PM

Quote:

Err... Intel will be broken up for something they never did? Dont fool yourself *lol*
More like they will sue AMD for damaging their image among the customers.

What is it they never did?
February 15, 2006 12:43:44 PM

OOOOOOO, this brought out the Intel FANBOYS! :lol: 

As much as the CURRENT AMD platform whoops Intel's butt :p  (and no, I won't let you use FUTURE products to say otherwise... how does anyone know that AMD hasn't got something up their sleeve, or Intel hasn't over-hyped AGAIN?).

Even though I would like to see AMD make this kind of market penetration; fab capacity, mindset, and market bullying (and YES, INTEL is GUILTY of this (notice I said BULLYING); AMD won't make this level of share.

Intel MAY be found guilty of monopolistic behavior... but even if so, the penalties will be as lame as those imposed upon Microsoft here in the states. The current powers encourage huge corporate monopolistic/cartel behavior... inspite the knowledge known that capitalism let run unchecked, is as dangerous as any other poltical system which runs unchecked. Control by party, person, or corporate entities all lead to abuses of power.
February 15, 2006 1:31:15 PM

Warning: This post contains philisophical ideas related to the subject. They are also my opinion, not fact.

There are two types of bias: justifiable bias and willfully ignorant bias. Justifiable bias is kinda like politics. Republicans, whether they admit it or not, cannot help but be biased when they report or describe issues. Same way with Democrats.

Some Democrats actually listen to Republican proposals and ideas open-mindedly, and while they disagree, they attempt to see where the Republicans are coming from. These Democrats have justifyable bias, as they lean towards the left but are willing to change their mind and/or political stance should they be proven wrong. Of course the same thing is true with some Republicans.

Unfortunately, though, most Republicans and Democrats made their choice as far as political view once a long time ago. These are the stubborn Democrats who will always accuse Bush of lying, whether or not he actually lies. Or the Republicans who constantly say "Ahhh...but Clinton..." to justify everything Bush does wrong. They purposely avoid considering conservative views strictly because they are conservative. They don't even listen to the opposing views, or they study them *ONLY* to find fallacies in them. These people do not want the truth, they already decided what truth is and to go against it might hurt their poor little pride. These people are utilizing willfully ignorant bias.

You, my friend, are one of those. You haven't read the accusations, otherwise you would know some of them are true (some of them are not true IMO as well). That is why you don't read them. Try seeing AMD's side. If after looking at the arguments and temporarily "siding with AMD" per se, you still think AMD's full of it, then your opinion actually means something. Until then, don't expect anyone's minds to be changed.

BTW I prefer AMD but still think Intel will prevent them from getting 30% market share because Intel is awakened to the threat. AMD will get close though, I just don't think they'll quite make it.
February 15, 2006 1:52:13 PM

Since you are from the deep south and bible belt... home for all things "Bushie", and though you thread crapped, I'll forgive you for your rant.

I am not going to start a flame fest based on idealogies. My political views ARE based on non-biased, ever-questioning of many political contacts and realities. I DO NOT watch Fox news; listen to Rush, Hannity, or O'Reilly, no more then I listen to the FAR left... true political bigotry at it's best on both sides. I'll not lower myself to "preaching" from the political soapbox.

I'll reply to further hardware replies in this thread, but not Political torts. Let's agree to disagree.

Back to the financial versus rewards of multi-GPU platforms...
February 15, 2006 2:01:08 PM

Those are very good points and I would also like to add to it. AMD has come a long way in this market. I for one agree that AMD will never fully penetrate the market and share the likes of Intel. As I've stated before, Intel is an innovator. Yes, their performance may not be better but their technology and marketing generally are. (give or take)

Now Intel has geared itself at marketing the average home user and has the capital to do so. Commercials on TV, Ads everywhere etc. appeal to the general population and to the average user, it looks good.

Setting aside the whole anti-trust thing and whether we like it or not, Intel has the power, capital and infrastructure in place to keep their title. Smart marketing IMO will always win. Not to say that AMD is a slouch but when's the last time we saw a serious campaign from the AMD camp? Its the users like us that really know the limits and can preach these findings to the average user.
February 15, 2006 2:15:08 PM

Quote:
It's obvious that the best company with the best processor put to date has to increase their market share.
Tell that to DEC.
February 15, 2006 2:20:05 PM

Quote:
Just a couple of facts here:

1) Are you kidding? M$ was found guilty of it and they weren't broken up. Why would Intel be broken up for a less serious (alleged) infraction?

2) The question of whether it was (legally) strongly competitive or (illegally) anti-competitive will be decided in the courts. Not by you. All that anyone can legally say right now is that Intel allegedly indulged in anti-competitive practices.
February 15, 2006 2:20:12 PM

Quote:
Tell that to DEC.

Aye the Alpha was a great CPU for it's time :D  64bit and Linux friendly too!

Semper Fi Linux on!
February 15, 2006 2:22:39 PM

Quote:
damn it windshear we don't need your in tel fanbooy bull! stop speculating ok. I'm gonna sound like an amd fanboy if i say that am2 will be better but im not saying that right now geez oh and 9inch. <clearing throat>

AMD FANBOY'S UNITE!!!!! [/list]
February 15, 2006 2:23:46 PM

Mr linux listena are you an amd fanboy like me?
February 15, 2006 2:24:55 PM

And there my friends is one of the main reasons AMD will never gain market share. <referring to DVD>

Just kidding of course. Gotta give the man DVD a hard time. :wink:
February 15, 2006 2:26:15 PM

I've got to agree with you, Luminaris. The generally better hardware part is questionable of course, but the better marketing is without a doubt true. Between Intel's superior marketing and production, they're just not going to lose much market share. If AMD wants to compete with the big dog they have to actually compete in the marketplace, not just make better technology and hope for the best. :roll:
February 15, 2006 2:27:20 PM

come on limunaris were friends i know you kid but geez wind shear should stop speculating and i'm not i go on google and pcpop AND GET MY FACTS FROM THEM!
February 15, 2006 2:28:18 PM

Quote:
damn it windshear we don't need your in tel fanbooy bull! stop speculating ok. I'm gonna sound like an amd fanboy if i say that am2 will be better but im not saying that right now geez oh and 9inch. <clearing throat>

AMD FANBOY'S UNITE!!!!! [/list]

Linux_0, do you think you could bung up a shell script to replace dvdpiddy? :p 
February 15, 2006 2:28:27 PM

Quote:
Mr linux listena are you an amd fanboy like me?

Negative.

I simply prefer to use a superior architecture and a superior OS.
February 15, 2006 2:28:47 PM

Quote:
Do you bitch with your buddies over which is better, waxing or shaving?
Which is better suited most definately depends on exactly where it's being done. :wink:
February 15, 2006 2:31:17 PM

Quote:
If use the latest Fedora (for example) and I unplug my USB mouse and plug in a PS/2 mouse, does the kernel automatically detect this and switch drivers for me yet?
February 15, 2006 2:37:32 PM

shut up knightrous :D  why do you wanna replace me?
February 15, 2006 2:38:19 PM

ok thx for the reply :D 
February 15, 2006 2:38:45 PM

oh and mr linux i think your really linus torvalds!
February 15, 2006 2:41:17 PM

amd will never lose market share cause they plan to market laptops with hp and sports stars like lance armstrong!
February 15, 2006 2:51:47 PM

Quote:
If use the latest Fedora (for example) and I unplug my USB mouse and plug in a PS/2 mouse, does the kernel automatically detect this and switch drivers for me yet?

PS/2 mice are not supposed to be hot-pluggable.

If there was a PS/2 present during boot and the BIOS and kernel detected it and initialized it and was later removed and plugged back in then it would still work.

However if you unplug a USB mouse and plug in a PS/2 mouse it will NOT normally work.

It is not recommended that you hot-plug any PS/2 devices because that may damage your motherboard. I have seen this first hand.

USB devices are hot-pluggable and Linux supports that just fine.
February 15, 2006 2:54:37 PM

Negative :-(

I wish I were! :D 
February 15, 2006 4:39:34 PM

I think they will continue to gain market share. Cisco just reported large increases in sales which means companies are spending money on networks which means some will be upgrading servers as well. AMD dominates on desktops and servers. Sun has challenged Dell to a server match AMD vs Intel but no takers. Because they know the results, AMD would win. AMD is faster and cheaper. You will have idiot Intel junkies who will defend them to the grave. Thats fine if you want to spend your money on over priced equipment that doesn't out perform the competition, by all means knock yourself out. You're loyalty should never be to a company unless you work for them. It should be to yourself. If Intel made a superior product I would buy it but they don't so I won't. If you want to sit around and say Intel is better than AMD it is obvious that you are drinking the Intel Kool-Aid. They always try to point to one peticular benchmark and hang their hat on it. Thats fine if that one benchmark represents everything you do with your computer. So if your part of the .001% population that would solely use it for that one scenario then you may have a point. For the rest of the population AMD is the choice for price and performance.
February 15, 2006 5:18:37 PM

oh yeah cisco i agree
February 15, 2006 5:20:16 PM

why do you linux that much
February 15, 2006 5:49:07 PM

Half an hour ago you had 713 postings, ever heard of editing?
February 15, 2006 6:03:14 PM

LOL yeah, from his profile:

"Joined: Feb 03, 2006
Total posts: 763 (all sections)
[58.69 posts per day] "

As of 2:01 PM CST
February 16, 2006 12:52:06 AM

sorry i hate editing but ill try it more often
February 16, 2006 1:42:22 AM

the AM2's DDR2 800mhz support should help AMD a lot, since many people look at higher numbers and buy that, not saying its not good, which it is amazing, but it will benifit them the way intel's higher clock speeds have on people.
February 16, 2006 2:28:46 AM

Sure :D 

Shell | Perl | PHP | C | C++ | Python | Tcl | anything ;-)
February 16, 2006 2:11:16 PM

Where's the option that says AMD will lose market share this year?

:lol: 

Intel had a decent year buffering MSS loss and then in the 4th quarter they suddenly lost 3-5% (I'm still not clear on the actual numbers). I'm sure this did not make Intel happy.

Recently, we've heard very positive things about Intel's roadmap this year, and quite a few negative things about AMD's.

65nm has ramped incredibly well for Intel (and 45 is looking fantastic) and the products look much stronger than from the 90nm transition. There is the potential that Intel will be 2 process generations ahead of AMD in terms of high volume production (in other words, Intel could be shipping tons of 45nm products while AMD is paper launching 65nm). AMD was expected to have 65nm q4 2005 with intel. Intel upped 65 to q3 and AMD pushed 65 out at least 2 quarters. Ouch.

AMD looks pretty strong in 2007, but I don't think 2006 will be their year.

Yes, this is all speculation (what else would you expect in a thread like this), but unless AMD is hiding something really fantastic, it looks like Intel will take back some of what they lost and later AMD may win it back (especially with greater capacity coming).

By 2007, AMD might be at the same level as they are now. By 2008, they could potentially have 25%, but it's doubtful. It's also weird if you calculate Apple as being part of the PC market or not. Intel in 2006 will be in every Apple computer where before they had no Apple MSS. Usually, that's been about 2-3% of the total desktop computer market. How does that play into MSS overall?
February 16, 2006 2:45:58 PM

Agreed. On paper it looks like Intel will dominate the end of 2006 begining of 2007.
AMD's real hopes lie on the socket F,not on the AM2.
February 16, 2006 2:49:53 PM

I know this was addressed to linux_o but I would like to add my two cents here.
I like linux because I can make it look and act how I want it to. I like it because I do not want to give my money to a monopolist that makes horrible software. I like it becuase I think the KDE desktop is the best looking desktop on the market, and it's easier to use than either windows or os X. I like the freedom provided by the GPL. I like not having to restart every time I install something. I like that it askes for confirmation and a password when something on the systme is going to be changed. I like the seemless networking. . .
February 16, 2006 4:00:30 PM

Quote:
Agreed. On paper it looks like Intel will dominate the end of 2006 begining of 2007.
AMD's real hopes lie on the socket F,not on the AM2.

I disagree. First of all the big $$$ is in server equipment. Second, if the rumors about Dell having AMD processors in their Latitudes this Summer turns out to be true, AMD's Turion will gain significant share. PowerEdge servers with Opterons? AMD will make MegaMillions. Intel and AMD will gain significant share this year I predict--Intel for their decent processor roadmaps and mostly from the Intel MACs, but AMD from increased socket 939 sales, Opteron sales, and Dell's AMD systems (possibly).

Even if Dell AMD rumors are false, the socket 939 system sales ARE GROWING, not lessoning. They are priced low and it is a dependable platform that everyone prefers over the mega-bucks on the Intel systems with the 900 series processors. That is not opinion, the numbers show it. Intel is losing in their desktop market while AMD is gaining.

We'll see--my prediction is that 2006 looks to be super-duper for AMD but 2007 could favor Intel. We'll see.
February 16, 2006 4:21:40 PM

Erm... marketshare shows what processor is prefered by "everyone"
February 16, 2006 4:57:30 PM

Rumours about Dell are total bullcrap(seriously now). There always is speculation but there is no proof to found it. Dell is well kept under Intel's lesh.
Intel will continue to loose marketshare(but not much) untill they have Conroe/Merom/Woodcrest available,then they'll regain most untill socket F and 45 mn Intel chips will decide then how the tide shall turn.

AM2 is highly unimpressive, sry to say that. You change a mobo for what?
For some DDR 2 that, if you'll want at decent latencies,will cost a fortune.
Or for a 200 mhz boost that will become available later in this year(FX 62 and X2 5000).

Intel has its problems too. They don't really want another Prescott. Prescott was probably the worst Intel core ever. It took a lot of time for it to be saved(Presler saved some of the lost reputation). Conroe,if compared to the Prescot(even to the late Presler) is aiming very high. Intel always have been unpredictable with their ups and downs so we should expect something out of the ordinary. Pentium M has a great time killing turions so if that techno could somehow be optimised to desktop then Intel will beat AMD at most tasks except gaming. But,people have a good reason to stay sceptical because they've seen good stuff about prescott on paper and that core was a disaster.
I think Intel has learned its leason and will beat AMD in the end and regain lost market share. They aren't the biggest chip manufacteurers for nothing!
February 16, 2006 5:02:46 PM

DOH!!! You gotta valid point there :D  :? :oops: 

I was of course refering to sales/quartarly earnings...
February 16, 2006 5:07:18 PM

Like I said socket 939 is AMD's biggest seller right now, AM2 likely will temporarily slow AMD's sales a little rather than help them...

Still, Michael Dell was asked "Will you sell Dell XPS systems based on the AM2 Socket?", to which he replied "Sure. We do not have an exclusive relationship with Intel". This is FACT, not rumor. That's a pretty big deal if ya ask me...
February 16, 2006 5:16:18 PM

Quote:

I think Intel has learned its leason and will beat AMD in the end and regain lost market share. They aren't the biggest chip manufacteurers for nothing!

Thats what Im saying! Some AMD Fanboys really think that Intel wont use their chance to pull away (now also in power consumption). Wouldnt quite make much sense if Intel just let that chance slip, would it?
Actually even NetBurst processors beat AMD performance-wise now. Yes, NOW in 2006, billions of years after its release! I highly doubt that Merom and its fellas Conroe and Woodcrest will leave any AMD dust on the floor. Might sound harsh, yeah, but its true. As Intel further increases its litography leadership, they will be having more and more resources to work with (not like "Hmm... shall we put that 1 more transistor in or will that increase power consumption too badly?"). One more thing is that Intel actually is a platform. They got CPUs, chipsets and mobos (which have some serious reputation for their outstanding stability) made by them, for them which will allow for some real good optimizations within that platform (and maybe some other funny mobo names like "Bad Axe" *lol*).
February 16, 2006 5:35:51 PM

AMD's problem is exposure. Until i decided to start learning about computers about 2 months ago, i'd barley heard of AMD. A contract with dell or other company like hp would be huge for them, since most people only know intel. If that happened, i wouldn't be surprised if they surpased 30%.
!