Odd spontaneous adventures?

I'm curious what kind of odd "what-if?" scenarios people try out
spontaneously, just for laughs. Last night I downloaded an X-24 lifting
body (there's a bit of Steve Austin in all of us... and to be pedantic, yes
I know it wasn't an X-24). I positioned myself randomly with slewing at
40'000 feet then had to find and land at an airfield, without charts or GPS.
The first time I had to land on a motorway - I'm sure that would make the
news - but the second time I managed to land safely at an airfield in
Nowheresville.

I sometimes quite enjoy the "game" aspect of FS.

"Steve" <steve@morleys.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>> I'm curious what kind of odd "what-if?" scenarios people try out
>> spontaneously, just for laughs. Last night I downloaded an X-24
>> lifting body (there's a bit of Steve Austin in all of us... and to be
>> pedantic, yes I know it wasn't an X-24). I positioned myself randomly
>> with slewing at 40'000 feet then had to find and land at an airfield,
>> without charts or GPS.
>
> In FS5 (IIRC) there was a great adventure where you were flying the
> shuttle
> right at the moment of an aborted launch. Nose straight up, alt ... well
> high and about to sink like a brick. You had to flip over, orient
> yourself, dial in all the right navaids, and land at the abort location
> etc... The shuttle falls pretty quick and the approach angle is waaayyy
> steep.
>
> I always wanted to redo that adventure for FS9, it was pretty hard as I
> recall.

Take the Learjet up to a similar altitude and land it "dead stick."

This is essentially how they train the shuttle pilots IRL...in a
clipped-wing Gulfstream V "Glider."

Jay B

peter

"Stephen F." <ferguson@NOJUNKbluewin.ch> wrote in message
> I'm curious what kind of odd "what-if?" scenarios people try out
> spontaneously, just for laughs. Last night I downloaded an X-24 lifting
> body (there's a bit of Steve Austin in all of us... and to be pedantic,
yes
> I know it wasn't an X-24). I positioned myself randomly with slewing at
> 40'000 feet then had to find and land at an airfield, without charts or
GPS.
> The first time I had to land on a motorway - I'm sure that would make the
> news - but the second time I managed to land safely at an airfield in
> Nowheresville.
>
> I sometimes quite enjoy the "game" aspect of FS.
>

> Entertainment purposes only.

I have downloaded all the approaches from www.fsimcafe.com
I find them a challenge and amusing.
(FS2004)

SNIP....

These approaches have been set-up for entertainment purposes only. They are
not, and I stress not, standard terminal arrival routes. If you have the
proper charts, there is no reason why you cannot set-up your aircraft to fly
these types of approaches if you so wish.

Aircraft set-up.

I have tried my best to set-up each approach with a suitable aircraft to do
the job. I have also tried to place the aircraft at an attitude, altitude,
and distance at a point which I considered to be geographically sensible,
so that you, the simulator pilot, could complete the approach in a skilled
and professional manner. My intention has not been to make your task
impossible, that exercise is plain stupid and immature, but encourage you to
fly as near a perfect final approach as possible, so that you can bring
about a safe and proper landing. My reward is believing that you can do it.
Your reward is knowing that you can do it.

Seat up.

You can raise your pilot seat by pressing (Shift + Enter). To return your
screen back to normal again press the (Spacebar). You can raise your seat by
as many as (13) levels, although you should never have the occasion to need
that many. This is a great tool for peering over the flight panel on
difficult approaches so that you get a better view of the landscape. But
while it can be a great tool at the beginning of an approach, it can be a
real hazard if used throughout the flight. It is all too easy to forget that
you have it on! In my opinion the best way to use it is to turn it on as
soon as you find it necessary, then as soon as you think that your aspect
could be viewed in normal mode better, turn it back straight away. If you
leave it on throughout the flight it will give you a distorted view. For
example, if you are making your final approach with your seat well raised,
you may get the impression that you are descending, but when you scan your
instruments, to your horror you'll most likely find that you are level
flying, or worst still, climbing! So treat this option with caution, Used
sensibly it is an asset, used insensibly it's a liability.

Runway/Elevation Details.

You will be supplied with runway length and elevation details for each
approach in the flight description page. Once you start your approach these
details will no longer be available to you unless you stop your flight
(which is a pain) and go to Map View and retrieve them there. Instead, I
suggest that you keep a small notepad beside your computer and jot down the
runway/elevation details before you start your flight. You will soon learn,
if you haven't already, that these details are essential information in
order to complete your approach in the best and safest way possible.

Approaches.

I have tried to make these approaches as interesting and as varied
impossible. For instance, in these volumes you will land your aircraft on
over a dozen different types of runway surface - some will amuse you, some
will amaze you. I won't spoil your fun by telling you what these surfaces
are, but I can assure you they are all very interesting and highly
enjoyable. You will travel all over the world visiting every difficult and
dangerous airport MSFS 2004 has to offer - that right, the lot! Some of the
approaches in these volumes are absolutely awesome, and although I have
flown them on countless different occasions, I never tire of them, I'm still
overwhelmed by their spectacular originality. You will fly in all types of
weather conditions, from clear blue skies to thunderous cyclones. You will
fly standard stock aircraft supplied by Microsoft in the original package.
If you have altered the configuration of your aircraft from the original
version, I imagine that your newly assigned aircraft will appear on your
screen in their place. If an 'error message' appears carry on regardless and
select an aircraft of your choice. Which brings up another point; to
increase your enjoyment of these approaches try using all sorts of aircraft
from your drop down menu; bend the rules a little and take things to the
extreme. Push yourself, your aircraft, and FS 2004 to the max.

Best way to fly them.

In my opinion the best way to fly these approaches is to start with the
first one in each volume and work your way through them progressively.
Repeat each approach until you feel you have mastered it, then move on to
the next approach and so on. If you don't do it this way I'll tell you what
will happen - you'll end up with up with a whole bunch of approaches that
you have only half completed and not truly mastered. You may find that some
approaches need to be practiced three or four times before you come to terms
with them; others will take you a dozen or more attempts.Whether you believe
this or not, I've got some approaches in store for you that will take you
all of day and half of the night to figure out - and you still won't be able
to get a handle on them! Just you wait and see? You don't believe me do you?
Well, watch out for the ~ (STAR) ~ approach in volume 9, it's absolutely
mind blowing! Then try and tell me I was exaggerating?

Final Word.

There are usually (10) approaches per volume, and some volumes contain as
many as (12) if I thought both ends of a runway deserved recording. But
based on a (10) runway volume, and assuming that each approach takes six
minutes (which is a reasonable average,) it would take you and hour to
complete each volume. If each approach is repeated until you get it right,
it's quite conceivable that there's several hours of entertainment wrapped
up in each volume. Here's another suggestion for your consideration. Once
you have mastered every approach in each volume, why not adjust the settings
to make them more difficult to accomplish. Each approach can be changed I'd
say a minimum of about four times, and before you know it you'll have forty
approaches per volume on you hands. Change the settings randomly, and for
goodness sake don't 'save' the files or you'll have them coming out your
ears - remember I've got a lot of volumes yet to release and you'll end up
with thousands of files if you save them all! Surprise yourself with your
own inventiveness, and if you happen to develop some really good weather
settings write them down in a notebook for future use and perhaps share them
with friends.

I have received an enormous amount of pleasure putting these approaches
together for you. This project has given me quite an education, and I'm a
far better simer now than when I first started. Quite frankly I've improved
out of sight, and so will you too. If you get the same amount of pleasure
practicing these approaches, as I have had putting them together, then it
has all been well worthwhile.

Look for volume 2 of Doherty's Difficult and Dangerous Approaches at your
favourite website coming soon.

END SNIP.

"Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net> wrote in message

I almost had an odd spontaneous adventure once. I can't remember her name,
but she was "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter" :))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :)

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message

> "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net> wrote in message
>
> I almost had an odd spontaneous adventure once. I can't remember her name,
> but she was "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter" :))
> Dudley Henriques
> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
> Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
> dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
> (take out the trash :)

Linda Vaughn? <Evil Grin>

Jay

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dudley Henriques wrote:

> I almost had an odd spontaneous adventure once. I can't remember her name,
> but she was "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter" :))
> Dudley Henriques

almost???? Dudley!!

--

boB, SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Most of my flights seem to have an air of spontaneity about them!!

Chris

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>
>> I almost had an odd spontaneous adventure once. I can't remember her
>> name, but she was "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter" :))
>> Dudley Henriques
>
> almost???? Dudley!!

Well....................................................
I learned about making out with girls at air shows from watching old movies
of Roscoe Turner, whom most of us in the demonstration business believed was
the best "girl getter" who ever lived. He had a pet lion. Girls LOVE guys
with pet lions!!!!!
I didn't have a pet lion, so I had a stuffed Teddy Bear. I can tell you for
an absolute certainty that gorgeous female type people can NOT resist a guy
arriving in a hot P51, opening the canopy, and climbing down over the wing
clutching a huge stuffed Teddy Bear!!!!
:))
Dudley

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I almost had an odd spontaneous adventure once. I can't remember her
>> name, but she was "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter" :))
>> Dudley Henriques
>> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
>> Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
>> dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
>> (take out the trash :)
>
> Linda Vaughn? <Evil Grin>
>
> Jay

You know Jay, I don't honestly remember her name. All I remember was that
sash she was wearing that said "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter". The reason that
image sticks in my mind is that the way the words on that sash sort of
"flowed forward at me and curved down as I read them!!!!! :))))))
Dudley

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dudley Henriques wrote:

> You know Jay, I don't honestly remember her name. All I remember was that
> sash she was wearing that said "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter". The reason that
> image sticks in my mind is that the way the words on that sash sort of
> "flowed forward at me and curved down as I read them!!!!! :))))))
> Dudley

It musta been you and NOT the P51. Had a similar experience flying a
Cobra from Ft Knox to be a static display at the Ohio State Fair back in
1974. After getting totally lost, (ADF Inop and we left the maps in the
the ammo bay) we landed to ask directions. The only interest we
stirred up was a Deputy Sheriff who wanted to see our flying license.

--

boB, SAG 70
Master Caution

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>

>> You know Jay, I don't honestly remember her name. All I remember was that
>> sash she was wearing that said "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter". The reason
>> that image sticks in my mind is that the way the words on that sash sort
>> of "flowed forward at me and curved down as I read them!!!!! :))))))
>> Dudley
>>

> It musta been you and NOT the P51. Had a similar experience flying a
> Cobra from Ft Knox to be a static display at the Ohio State Fair back in
> 1974. After getting totally lost, (ADF Inop and we left the maps in the
> the ammo bay) we landed to ask directions. The only interest we stirred up
> was a Deputy Sheriff who wanted to see our flying license.
>
> --
>
> boB, SAG 70
> Master Caution
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
\
Clay Lacy had a HUGE stuffed Snoppy dog wearing sunglasses that he sat up in
plain view behind him and carried with him everywhere he went in the Omni
Insurance sponsored P51. The airplane was solid purple!!!!

You don't even want to KNOW how many girls THIS get up attracted every time
he arrived somewhere!!!!:)))

Dudley

> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
>> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>>

>>> You know Jay, I don't honestly remember her name. All I remember was
>>> that sash she was wearing that said "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter". The
>>> reason that image sticks in my mind is that the way the words on that
>>> sash sort of "flowed forward at me and curved down as I read them!!!!!
>>> :))))))
>>> Dudley
>>>

>> It musta been you and NOT the P51. Had a similar experience flying a
>> Cobra from Ft Knox to be a static display at the Ohio State Fair back in
>> 1974. After getting totally lost, (ADF Inop and we left the maps in the
>> the ammo bay) we landed to ask directions. The only interest we stirred
>> up was a Deputy Sheriff who wanted to see our flying license.
>>
>> --
>>
>> boB, SAG 70
>> Master Caution
>>
>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
> \
> Clay Lacy had a HUGE stuffed Snoppy dog wearing sunglasses that he sat up
> in plain view behind him and carried with him everywhere he went in the
> Omni Insurance sponsored P51. The airplane was solid purple!!!!
>
> You don't even want to KNOW how many girls THIS get up attracted every
> time he arrived somewhere!!!!:)))
>
> Dudley

Hmmm...

Wonder if something similar would work in the right seat of a rented C172SP?

Probably Not...*Sigh*

Jay

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>>
>> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message

>>> It musta been you and NOT the P51. Had a similar experience flying a
>>> Cobra from Ft Knox to be a static display at the Ohio State Fair back in
>>> 1974. After getting totally lost, (ADF Inop and we left the maps in the
>>> the ammo bay) we landed to ask directions. The only interest we stirred
>>> up was a Deputy Sheriff who wanted to see our flying license.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> boB, SAG 70
>>> Master Caution
>>>
>>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
>> \
>> Clay Lacy had a HUGE stuffed Snoppy dog wearing sunglasses that he sat up
>> in plain view behind him and carried with him everywhere he went in the
>> Omni Insurance sponsored P51. The airplane was solid purple!!!!
>>
>> You don't even want to KNOW how many girls THIS get up attracted every
>> time he arrived somewhere!!!!:)))
>>
>> Dudley
>>

> Hmmm...
>
> Wonder if something similar would work in the right seat of a rented
> C172SP?
>
> Probably Not...*Sigh*
>
> Jay

Well........it might help to wear Raybans and have one of those big black
face watches with all the fancy stuff on the bezel.........but personally, a
big stuffed Teddy Bear worked great for me!!! :))
Dudley

>> Jay
>
> Well........it might help to wear Raybans and have one of those big black
> face watches with all the fancy stuff on the bezel.........but personally,
> a big stuffed Teddy Bear worked great for me!!! :))
> Dudley

Two out of three ain't bad...

- Got the Shades back in training...
- Have had the watch for a lot longer than I've had my certificate...

All I need it a trip to FAO Schwartz and I'm "in like Flynn!"

;O)

Jay

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi Dudley,
>
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:49:42 GMT, you wrote:
>
>> ...but personally, a big stuffed Teddy Bear worked great for me!!!
>> :))
>
> Who can resist a man who travels with a big stuffed Teddy Bear?! :)
>
> - --
> Melissa

Hi Mel;

Sometimes when we had the time, the local Chamber of Commerce, or some other
local agency would arrange for some of the demonstration pilots to go into
the local hospitals at some of the shows and meet with children. I carried
the bear with me for those occasions, but I have to admit, "Bear " (as we
called him...short for his full given name; "The Bear" ) did have a certain
"charm" with the ladies!! :)
Dudley

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Jay
>>
>> Well........it might help to wear Raybans and have one of those big black
>> face watches with all the fancy stuff on the bezel.........but
>> personally, a big stuffed Teddy Bear worked great for me!!! :))
>> Dudley
>>

> Two out of three ain't bad...
>
> - Got the Shades back in training...
> - Have had the watch for a lot longer than I've had my certificate...
>
> All I need it a trip to FAO Schwartz and I'm "in like Flynn!"
>
> ;O)
>
> Jay

I KNEW IT!!!
A BORN fighter pilot!!! :)

> Hi Dudley,
>
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:49:42 GMT, you wrote:
>
>> ...and have one of those big black face watches with all the fancy
>> stuff on the bezel...
>
> Hey! I have a fancy watch with all sorts of stuff on its face and a
> fancy bezel; but it's a tide watch! It has a beautiful blue face,
> with tide height, moon phase, and spring/neap dials/displays within
> the face; and it has an adjustable heat bezel ("heat" as in surf
> competition heat; but I even use it for timing my bread baking! :)).
>
> At least I would know what part of the local tide cycle we're in as I
> ditch the plane! :) My watch is watertight down to 200 meters, so
> even if my plane sank, I'd still know what time it was, and what the
> tides and moon were up to! :)

Wow...that has me beat! Sounds like a "whale" of a watch.....I mean...sort
of a whale watch if you get my drift!! Oh never mind....this lousy attempt
at humor must have been a fluke!! :)
Somewhere upstairs in a jewelry box I have a Breitling Chronograph my wife
bought me back in the fifties. It has an E6B face and bezel that if I had to
use today I couldn't read :)

Dudley

> Wow...that has me beat! Sounds like a "whale" of a watch.....I mean...sort
> of a whale watch if you get my drift!! Oh never mind....this lousy attempt
> at humor must have been a fluke!! :)
> Somewhere upstairs in a jewelry box I have a Breitling Chronograph my wife
> bought me back in the fifties. It has an E6B face and bezel that if I had
> to use today I couldn't read :)
>
> Dudley

(Ala Homer Simpson): Ooooh...Breitling...Yum !

Jay