Conroe not compatible with existing chipsets...

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I just saw This Article.

"Intel quietly released a list of Viiv specifications to its manufacturing partners last week. Intel's Viiv platform is an attempt to unify PC components into a concise, easily supported platform for media center PCs. Unfortunately, the project is already starting to show some missteps -- the Intel Conroe CPU, the workhorse of the Intel Viiv 1.5 and 1.6 platform, are not compatible with Viiv 1.0. "

"The upcoming Intel G965 and P965 chipsets will support Conroe, but any other Intel chipsets from 975X on down will require a modified VRM and BIOS updates. The VRM, or voltage regulator module, is the component on the motherboard that adjusts the voltages to the CPU. Even if today's chipsets are physically compatible with Conroe, no motherboard today will support the CPU if manufacturers followed the VRM guidelines set forth by Intel when those chipsets were designed. "

I know there has been a lot of discussion, especially about whether 975x will work or not, What do you guys think?

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I may be interpreting you wrong, but the problem is that the VRMs on the current i975 motherboards are too good. They are designed to handle the high voltages that Prescott needs and are too coarse to handle Conroe's mobile based architecture.

The issue is not with the i975 chipset, but with individual motherboards and what specific VRMs that choose to include. Some makers may have used ones with wider and lower ranges so only a BIOS update would be required. Others won't ever work. Personally, I think the problem is just that i975 motherboards had to have 90nm compatibility. The 65nm Presler and Cedar Mill actually use lower voltages which probably aren't too far away from Conroe. Of course, if Intel had dropped Prescott and Smithfield support from the i975 we'd be complaining about that instead of Conroe support.

Now that the specifications for Conroe are formalized I wonder if current or soon to arrive i975 motherboards will include Conroe as well as 90nm support.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
huh!

Will 975X intell chipset with 8-phase voltage regulator ( ie P5WDG2-WS) stay in business with no VRM updates?! How about Gigabyte GA-G1 975X with 5 phase voltage regulator (not sure... correct me if I am wrong)

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
That's one of the problems when upgrading Intel CPUs. You'll most likely have to get a new mobo. And since the very good Intel mobos don't come cheap, it becomes quite annoying seing that money spent on a mobo could've been spent on a mainstream gfx card or more memory.