Am I building a time bomb!?

jaykemurd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
So I've recently began building my custom computer. Most of the parts are on their way, and I will have them in the next 2 days. My specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 San Diego 3700 939
Biostar N4SLI Mobo
Hitachi Deskstar 160 GB 7200 RPM
512MB DDR PC400 RAM
Biostar GeForce 6600GT PCIe
M-Audio Delta 1010 PCI Sound Card
Rosewill TU-155 ATX Case w/ Rosewill 400W ATX P.S.
Lite-On DVD Burner w/Lightscribe

QUESTION:
Am I going to put this puppy together only to have it run for awhile and then fry itself? Rosewill doesn't seem to have a great reputation for PSUs, so will I be able to survive with this one? Even if it will function for a few weeks, I'll be able to drop in a nice Antec or Cooler Master PSU. I'm jsut worried that the PSU won't even be able to power the computer! Can anyone help me!?

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
dude put down the blunt and listen you gotta be crazy to use a psu that comes with a case any case rosewill psu's r crap they are a cheap skate manufacterur get your self an ocz or enermax!

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
Ditto to what Dvdpiddy said, junk the rosewill and get quality psu.

GOOD BRANDS TO STICK WITH :!:

Pc power and cooling, OCZ, Enermax, Fortron Source, Seasonic, Antec

The PSU is the last thing you want to go cheap on because you could end up with toasted hardware if it shorts and then your out $$$$

Case in point: A friend of mine spent $2500 on a good rig only to go cheap on the PSU...guess what...he had a power surge on his outlet that blew the PSU and the surge made it to his top of the line goodies.... now paper weights!

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!! getting a battery back up with line conditioning
APC is the one I use.

jaykemurd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Thanks a lot for the opinions guys!
I was afraid the PSU would be a piece!!!
I know what brands of PSUs are good, but I want to know what size (wattages) should I be looking for?
400W, 450W, 500W, 600W+?

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
For that rig a 350w PSU will work fine for 6+ months, there are some 'crazies' that will say otherwise though. If you want to play it safe go for a 400w unit though and don't plan on using SLI with 2 'beefy' video cards. (eg: 7800 GT, or Crossfire X1800 XL) with a typical 400w in the 'long term'.

I'd recommend a 400-430w, or even a 480w if planning to upgrade heaps (eg: move to SLI or Crossfire on higher end cards) down the track though.

A good PSU and Surge Protector are both very smart and equally important investments, (I've made this same mistake when starting out aswell, all those years ago) as they don't fail on you .... thus you and you can keep them for other PC projects down the track. (As PSUs don't change much every 6-18 months thank god).

Sometimes you also get the 'it only works fine at home' problem, but not at LAN parties at various 'installations' with unclean power..... I've found a decent PSU helps many people in this regard, esp if overclocking. (An often overlooked issue at large LAN parties at small halls, besides the hall not having enough power for everyone to turn on at once :p ).

I personally like, and tend to suggest, the Antec TruePower II series (ATX12V and EPS12V models):
http://www.antec.com/ec/pro_p_TPII.html ; despite various 'articles' claiming they are bad. (Looks at Anandtech, also normally a decent site, then looks at my rig which is the exact config they claim is incompatible and working w/o issues).

PC Power & Cooling units can be a a bit loud (most of them are sever class oriented, where ongoing loud noise isn't an OH&S issue), but yeah, they also suffice more than fine. ;)

OCZ are also making some nice gear aswell. - Not just PSUs either.

jaykemurd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I've got a 400 watt Fortron Source PSU w/ NoiseKiller (Model #FSP400-60PFN) availible to me. I know Fortron is a reputable brand, but I don't know if this one is "good" enough.

Dadgeek

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
It does not matter if you have a 400P/S or a 620 P/S the computer will only use what it needs so, make sure you pick a wattage that is high enough to allow for upgrades down the road. Never use the one that comes with a "cheap" case!

TRENDING THREADS