Sign in with
Your question

Bootcamp difficulties with Mac OS X and Windows 7 Enterprise

Last response: in Mac Os X
August 8, 2012 2:45:59 AM

Greetings All,

I am trying to assist a friend with Bootcamp, but this problem is weird as I have successfully done Bootcamp with my machine.

I walked her through Bootcamp to install Windows 7, created the partition, etc. - restart gave her the blinking cursor. I was like, ok, turn the system off, wait 30 seconds to clear the RAM, restart, and hold option key. The option key only returned the Mac HD icon, not Windows as I thought it would have, and neither the DVD that it is on.

We retried Bootcamp again and nothing worked. Somehow it's not prompting for an NTFS format.

Can anyone give me some suggestions as we tried pretty much everything?

Thanks!
VV5
August 8, 2012 7:23:34 AM

If you tell us what machine She has (and what build it is), and what version of Windows 7 maybe someone can help.
m
l
August 8, 2012 12:26:12 PM

Joe,

Trying to figure that out as we are on different time zones and such. Once I figure that out I will post back.

Thanks for your help!
VV5
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 11:03:58 PM

All,

She has a Mac OS X Late 2009 iMac. Now I think that was 10.6 Snow Leopard if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe it's a driver issue?
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:04:22 PM

Ah one more detail - Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 - that's what we're trying to Bootcamp.
m
l
a c 244 $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 1:45:01 AM

Did you follow the instructions per the PDF linked earlier?
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:49:34 AM

COLGeek,

Yes - she tried that and that's what I was referring to when we initially did it. BTW thanks for the link anyway. But her problem is that the blinking cursor shows up after she runs Bootcamp (creates the partition, etc). Had her try the option key to see what comes up, and only the Mac HD comes up.

I had the blinking problem myself on my machine, but the option key did the trick.

I was out of ideas, that's why I hit up the boards.

VV5 out.
m
l
a c 244 $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 1:51:59 AM

Just making sure on the manual. Understood. BTW, the version of Win 7 should work fine. It really sounds like an issue with OS X/the Boot Camp config. She can still get into OS X, right?
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:54:37 AM

Roger that, she can hit the option key and access the Mac HD side.
m
l
a c 244 $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 1:57:01 AM

Is her OS X install fully up to date?
m
l
a c 244 $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 2:01:13 AM

You did this, right? I know it isn't quite the same, but sounds very similar.

My computer starts up to a black screen with white text that states "No Boot Disk Attached." What can I do?

This means that the Windows partition is not bootable, usually because of a mistake in formatting the drive. The Boot Camp Setup Assistant creates the Boot Camp partition, but the Windows installer must format it to make it bootable. Boot into Mac OS X and run the Boot Camp Setup Assistant again. Remove the Boot Camp partition and re-create it. Install Windows again, this time using Windows to format the partition. Refer to the "Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide" PDF document for more details on installing Boot Camp.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:01:18 AM

COLGeek - Hmm - that's a good question, and I will have to get back with you on that. I assume that it should be if she has it set up automatically, but then again, well, you know how that goes.

I'll write to her now (as she is not a member on the forums and there is a time zone difference) and I'll post back tomorrow.

Thanks for your help thus far, and I'll post something tomorrow.

VV5 out.
m
l
a c 244 $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 2:03:02 AM

Roger. Standing by tomorrow. HOOAH!!!
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:04:43 AM

COLGeek - just saw your last post. Yes, I was aware of the "No Boot" error, but she didn't see it (and I was doing this over the phone with her, so it makes it that more challenging). Personal tech support - nice!

Anyway, I have a feeling that the partition wasn't formatted, as I know it takes time for it to format to NTFS. And we did try going through the Bootcamp process a few times.

More tomorrow. Thanks!

VV5 out.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:05:32 AM

COLGeek - Hooah back! Former 88A here.

VV5 out.
m
l
a c 244 $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 2:26:06 AM

Coolio. 27 years and counting. Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:30:10 AM

COLGeek,

First, thanks for your service.

Second, I told her how to update the software, but she's on a different shift right now, so when I do here something I will post back.

Didn't want to leave you hanging.

VV5 out.
m
l
!