How to use external PS2 mouse with XP Home?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?

Thanks, gang!!

Fred
19 answers Last reply
More about external mouse home
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Fred wrote:

    > When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
    > recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?

    Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?

    C'mon, Fed!

    Notan
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    > >
    > > When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
    > > recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
    >
    > Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?
    >
    > C'mon, Fed!
    >
    > Notan

    Uhh, that was "C'mon, Fred!" <g>

    Notan
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Fred wrote:

    > When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
    > recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
    >
    > Thanks, gang!!
    >
    > Fred

    First of all I'm asumming your using a laptop as I've never seen a
    desktop PC with a touchpad yet.

    Check the settings in the Control Panel for your touchpad. On my Dell
    Latitude, I have an option to switch off the Touchpad when I plug in an
    external PS/2 mouse.

    Do you have the latest version of the touchpad driver installed?

    If its made by Alps, they only supply drivers to the OEM's, if it's a
    Synaptics touchpad you could try www.synaptics.com or this link
    ftp://ftp.synaptics.com/pub/drivers/US7_8_10W2K.zip.

    --
    JasonB

    To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    yeh, come on Fred!
    Fred
    > Fred wrote:
    >>
    >> When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
    >> recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
    >
    > Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?
    >
    > C'mon, Fed!
    >
    > Notan
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.

    The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I plugged the
    mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I still
    think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this laptop
    only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying more
    stuff. I miss Win98SE already.

    The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for putting
    out your cigars.

    "JasonB" <jasonb@nospam4me.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >
    > > When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
    > > recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
    > >
    > > Thanks, gang!!
    > >
    > > Fred
    > >

    > First of all I'm asumming your using a laptop as I've never seen a
    > desktop PC with a touchpad yet.
    >
    > Check the settings in the Control Panel for your touchpad. On my Dell
    > Latitude, I have an option to switch off the Touchpad when I plug in an
    > external PS/2 mouse.
    >
    > Do you have the latest version of the touchpad driver installed?
    >
    > If its made by Alps, they only supply drivers to the OEM's, if it's a
    > Synaptics touchpad you could try www.synaptics.com or this link
    > ftp://ftp.synaptics.com/pub/drivers/US7_8_10W2K.zip.
    >

    > --
    > JasonB
    >
    > To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    | Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
    |
    | The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I plugged
    the
    | mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I still
    | think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
    laptop
    | only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
    more
    | stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
    |
    | The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for putting
    | out your cigars.

    If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
    USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one for
    mouse.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?

    No. Yes. Chinese. 1.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Woo hooo!!! I'm reddy! Let's go!! Come on!!!.... er...uh.... where wuz it
    we wuz a going, Kingfish?

    "Fred Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > yeh, come on Fred!
    > Fred
    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Fred wrote:
    > >>
    > >> When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
    > >> recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
    > >
    > > Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?
    > >
    > > C'mon, Fed!
    > >
    > > Notan

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    The only problem with this suggestion is that the hardware must be able
    to handle this. Many PS/2 mice are unable to work with USB to PS/2
    Convertor. It may work, it may not. I would recommend looking that the
    wireless mice that are specifically designed for laptops. You can
    usually get these fairly cheap and most of them are USB.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Jason Cothran wrote:
    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > | Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
    > |
    > | The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I plugged
    > the
    > | mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I still
    > | think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
    > laptop
    > | only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
    > more
    > | stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
    > |
    > | The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for putting
    > | out your cigars.
    > |

    > If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
    > USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one for
    > mouse.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Do desktops have touchpads?
    > Notan wrote:
    > >
    > > Fred wrote:
    > > >
    > > > When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
    > > > recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
    > >
    > > Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?
    > >
    > > C'mon, Fed!
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > Uhh, that was "C'mon, Fred!" <g>
    >
    > Notan
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Unknown wrote:

    > Do desktops have touchpads?

    No, not per se. (Although I have seen external touchpads.)

    The point I was making was that Fred gave no details as
    to what type of system he was talking about.

    It's like calling an auto repair shop and saying, "My car
    won't start. What's wrong?"

    Notan
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Just as a side note, most external touchpads are not actually designed
    for controlling the mouse but more as an input device. Many people use
    these as digitizers that allow the user to draw on the computer. These
    are generally very expensive and difficult to work with due to the
    inaccuracy of the products. I have only seen this in one lab, but
    unfortunately I did not get a chance to play with it :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Notan wrote:
    > Unknown wrote:
    >
    >>Do desktops have touchpads?
    >

    > No, not per se. (Although I have seen external touchpads.)
    >
    > The point I was making was that Fred gave no details as
    > to what type of system he was talking about.
    >
    > It's like calling an auto repair shop and saying, "My car
    > won't start. What's wrong?"
    >
    > Notan
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Well, well... Helpful Nolan again? You have now publicly demonstrated to
    the world that you are not a techie. That's OK -- we all had to start out
    somewhere.

    FYI, all my problems have now been solved and (amazingly) without having to
    answer any of your nonsensical questions!!

    > Unknown wrote:
    > >
    > > Do desktops have touchpads?
    >
    > No, not per se. (Although I have seen external touchpads.)
    >
    > The point I was making was that Fred gave no details as
    > to what type of system he was talking about.
    >
    > It's like calling an auto repair shop and saying, "My car
    > won't start. What's wrong?"
    >
    > Notan
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Bingo! This worked for me. The keyboard/mouse were at fault in my case. I
    picked up a nice mini-mouse with retracting cable for $19.95 and an el
    cheapo but satisfactory Memorex brand USB keyboard for $20. Frys
    Electronics service spent 1/2 hour with me checking out the computer and
    explaining things and never once mentioned cost. Highly recommend that
    store.

    "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > The only problem with this suggestion is that the hardware must be able
    > to handle this. Many PS/2 mice are unable to work with USB to PS/2
    > Convertor. It may work, it may not. I would recommend looking that the
    > wireless mice that are specifically designed for laptops. You can
    > usually get these fairly cheap and most of them are USB.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Jason Cothran wrote:
    > > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > > | Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
    > > |
    > > | The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I
    plugged
    > > the
    > > | mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I
    still
    > > | think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
    > > laptop
    > > | only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
    > > more
    > > | stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
    > > |
    > > | The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for
    putting
    > > | out your cigars.
    > > |

    > > If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
    > > USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one
    for
    > > mouse.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks, Jason. In fact I did get a couple of PS2/USB adapters at first,
    but, in this case, the PS2 keyboard & mouse drew too much power and the PC
    wouldn't recognize them.

    "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > | Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
    > |
    > | The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I plugged
    > the
    > | mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I still
    > | think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
    > laptop
    > | only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
    > more
    > | stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
    > |
    > | The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for
    putting
    > | out your cigars.
    > |

    > If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
    > USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one
    for
    > mouse.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I use Fry's Electronics all the time. They do have good prices usually
    (though their customer service department is horrible), but you really
    should spend time researching the products before you make a purchase if
    you are looking at getting something nice. I always go to
    www.google.com and search for things like "ASUS P4P800 Review" and read
    up on issues, problems, features, and suggestions.

    Also, a great source of specials on things like this is
    www.fatwallet.com (the forums).

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Fred wrote:
    > Bingo! This worked for me. The keyboard/mouse were at fault in my case. I
    > picked up a nice mini-mouse with retracting cable for $19.95 and an el
    > cheapo but satisfactory Memorex brand USB keyboard for $20. Frys
    > Electronics service spent 1/2 hour with me checking out the computer and
    > explaining things and never once mentioned cost. Highly recommend that
    > store.
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>The only problem with this suggestion is that the hardware must be able
    >>to handle this. Many PS/2 mice are unable to work with USB to PS/2
    >>Convertor. It may work, it may not. I would recommend looking that the
    >>wireless mice that are specifically designed for laptops. You can
    >>usually get these fairly cheap and most of them are USB.
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >>Jason Cothran wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message

    > plugged
    >
    >>>the
    >
    > still

    >>>laptop
    >>>more

    > putting

    >>>If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
    >>>USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one
    >
    > for
    >
    >>>mouse.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Fred wrote:

    > Well, well... Helpful Nolan again? You have now publicly demonstrated to
    > the world that you are not a techie. That's OK -- we all had to start out
    > somewhere.

    Y'know, Fred, there's nothing wrong with you asking lots of newbie questions,
    but your assholiness is awfully annoying.

    Notan

    > Fred wrote:
    > >
    > > Well, well... Helpful Nolan again? You have now publicly demonstrated
    > > the world that you are not a techie. That's OK -- we all had to start
    out
    > > somewhere.
    >
    > Y'know, Fred, there's nothing wrong with you asking lots of newbie
    questions,
    > but your assholiness is awfully annoying.
    >
    > Notan

    Oh now that hurts, Nolas. I am truly sorry. I assummed that you had a
    thick skin, judging from all your insulting remarks.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks for the tip. Yeah, some Frys aren't that hot. The Frys in Fountain
    Valley service dept is GREAT, but even at this store, I won't talk to ANY of
    the techs from India or the middle east as most of them (not all) are
    condescending and ignorant. The American-born techs (regardless of
    ethnicity) and East Asian and Latino imports are extremely helpful!

    (Not slamming anyone - this is just my experience, and at this particular

    > I use Fry's Electronics all the time. They do have good prices usually
    > (though their customer service department is horrible), but you really
    > should spend time researching the products before you make a purchase if
    > you are looking at getting something nice. I always go to
    > www.google.com and search for things like "ASUS P4P800 Review" and read
    > up on issues, problems, features, and suggestions.
    >
    > Also, a great source of specials on things like this is
    > www.fatwallet.com (the forums).
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Fred wrote:
    > > Bingo! This worked for me. The keyboard/mouse were at fault in my case.
    > > picked up a nice mini-mouse with retracting cable for $19.95 and an el
    > > cheapo but satisfactory Memorex brand USB keyboard for $20. Frys
    > > Electronics service spent 1/2 hour with me checking out the computer and
    > > explaining things and never once mentioned cost. Highly recommend that
    > > store.
    > >
    > > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>The only problem with this suggestion is that the hardware must be able
    > >>to handle this. Many PS/2 mice are unable to work with USB to PS/2
    > >>Convertor. It may work, it may not. I would recommend looking that the
    > >>wireless mice that are specifically designed for laptops. You can
    > >>usually get these fairly cheap and most of them are USB.
    > >>
    > >>----
    > >>Nathan McNulty

    > > plugged

    > > still