Sign in with
Your question

sound cards vs onboard sound

Last response: in Components
February 15, 2006 10:47:33 AM

i am loking to get a new sound card that will improve sound recordings music and in game sounds. i am currently using the onboard sound on my a8n32-sli deluxe but want to know what benifits i would get from a sound card and what you could recomend to me?
February 15, 2006 11:55:46 AM

On board sound is terrible.

I would recommend an SB X-Fi if you can afford it otherwise any decent SB Audigy would do ( even the Value series ).

A decent sound card has hardware audio acceleration which reduces CPU utilization and greatly improves sound quality.
February 15, 2006 12:10:54 PM

Creative labs is realy the only game around for high end audio. The audigy or x-fi are what you would need if recording, they have a front bay with inputs for everything. If you do any midi the creative sound banks are real nice.
In game you can get a few more fps with a card, it takes some of the load off the cpu. EAX is also a benefit. They have a good software bundle too.
Related resources
February 15, 2006 4:03:44 PM

This thread seems to apply for my question, so I'm not starting a new one.

I too have read (here and elsewhere) that a sound card is a better answer when gaming for performance reasons, besides offering better sound. My case, however may alter these recommendations just a little.
I am deaf in one ear, so I have NO sense of direction for sound and do not hear stereo. I do appreciate clarity and full frequency response, but 2.1 sounds like 5.1 sounds like 7.1, all of which sound like mono.
For purely performance reasons, what would be a good sound board for me? My mobo is an Abit NF4 with 7.1 sound, but I'm only going to be using a 2.1 arrangement.
February 17, 2006 11:15:57 PM

Last month I upgraded from my onboard 5.1 AC'97 to an Audigy 4. The card cost me about $80 and I bought some Creative I-Trigue speakers. I hear a decent amount of improvement in music and gaming sound. I would say it was well worth the investment for me, not to mention that I got the nifty remote control that Creative throws in with their cards. I believe the sound is much more crisp and I actually hear some details that I didn’t hear before in some of my games and musically I have a better depth of sound.

In all honesty though, what sounds good to me may not sound good to anyone else so I have to agree that only you would know if the investment in a card is for you. I know that I do not regret it and I enjoy the improvement in software and sound quality.
!