Sign in with
Your question

Some Q's not answered in RAID FAQ, help with RAID0

Last response: in Storage
February 15, 2006 12:03:04 PM

1. Can a RAID 0 be setup after a Windows XP installation? i.e. I have WinXP and a single hard drive. I later decide to buy another HDD because I want to set up a raid. Must I reformat or is there a utility to set up the RAID with windows already installed.

2. The #1 problem with RAID0 is the lack of fault tolerance, as one drive fails, the entire RAID array fails. Will implementing a RAID cause additional problems on top of the usual HDD failure events, or is a hard drive in a raid just as likely to fail the same way that a single hard drive would fail? I realize that with two drives in a RAID0, you double the chance of a failed drive, but does being in a RAID array pose additional failure events?

3. Will setting up a RAID0+1 be much more beneficial than a RAID0?
a b G Storage
February 15, 2006 12:56:45 PM

Using RAID-0 should not increase the stress on the drives; e.g. no additional chance of failure, but as you point out, if either drive fails, you lose data.
Personally, I prefer safety to raw speed, and would opt for RAID-1 (or RAID-5 with the right controller), but it sounds like you want the speed.

I bought a Maxtor 7200 RPM SATA drive recently with a 16MB cache, and it is notably faster than other 7200 RPM drives with 8MB caches. I haven't compared it to a Raptor though, which spins at 10K RPM. My experience with 10K RPM SCSI drives is they often run REALLY hot.
February 15, 2006 1:12:29 PM

To answer you question. You will have to reinstall Windows and all programs for raid 0. If you had setup the raid as a single drive, you should be able to raid1 without reloading.

The optim setup would to use a Raptor as the boot drive, the raid 1 for data. The resent article shows the speed of the raptor is #1 even over a raid0 with 7200 rpm drives.
Related resources
February 15, 2006 1:16:22 PM

1. Yes, and no. RAID 0 can be setup after XP is installed but you won't be able to move the XP installation to it without reinstalling Windows. I.e., if you have a drive with XP, you could add two more drives in RAID 0 but they would be a separate drive as far as Windows is concerned.

2. As jtt283 said, a RAID-0 setup won't add any additional stresses beyond the normal use of a drive.

3. A RAID 0+1 setup will give you striping+mirroring. You get the performance of RAID 0 + the fault tolerance of RAID 1. The biggest problem with that is you will only get 50% capacity and requires 4 drives at a minimum. So if you get four 100GB drives you will only get 200GB total out of them. The benefit of this space tradeoff is the speed and reliability are both there.

If you want to run RAID 0, you could have two drives setup in RAID 0 for the OS and programs and then a third drive for all your important data. That's what I do!
February 15, 2006 3:03:10 PM

Thank you for all the replies. Answers all my questions.

I have another question now that I think of it. My motherboard has 4x SATA and 4x RAID ports on it. Currently, I am ported into one of the SATA ports with my sata hard drive. When I make the move to RAID0 and reinstall windows, where do the two hard drives need to be ported on the mobo for proper RAID0 setup?

Quote:
If you want to run RAID 0, you could have two drives setup in RAID 0 for the OS and programs and then a third drive for all your important data. That's what I do!

Could you elaborate on how you back up your data from your RAID0 to a 3rd storage disk. Do you manually copy/paste, or do you make use of a backup software? I am very new to backing up data from one hard drive to another unless its using copy/paste.

Also, I've got an extra tape drive from work sitting around, would tape backups be equally efficient in a home PC?
February 15, 2006 4:13:41 PM

Quote:
I have another question now that I think of it. My motherboard has 4x SATA and 4x RAID ports on it. Currently, I am ported into one of the SATA ports with my sata hard drive. When I make the move to RAID0 and reinstall windows, where do the two hard drives need to be ported on the mobo for proper RAID0 setup?

Your ports should be labeled, 0-8 I think if they're all SATA? What I would do is plug the two RAID drives into 0 and 1 on the RAID controller. Then use #4 for the data storage drive on the other controller. Why kind of mobo do you have?

Quote:
Could you elaborate on how you back up your data from your RAID0 to a 3rd storage disk. Do you manually copy/paste, or do you make use of a backup software? I am very new to backing up data from one hard drive to another unless its using copy/paste.

I actually don't backup any data from my RAID 0 drive. I have the OS and all programs installed on it and that's it. My documents, pictures, MP3s, saved games, and all other data worth keeping are stored on the other non-RAID drive. In the event of a crash I would have to re-install the OS and programs but all data is safe on the other drive. I then use an external USB drive and DVD to backup the data on the second drive.

Quote:
Also, I've got an extra tape drive from work sitting around, would tape backups be equally efficient in a home PC?

Don't see why not. As I said above, I use an external USB drive and DVDs for all my backups but as long as they're backed up somewhere, that's the key! I'm the ultimate uber-nerd when it comes to backup. I have zillion MP3 files and pics so I actually have two sets of DVDs and two hard drives for backup. I always keep one set in a safe deposit box just in case of fire and swap them out every month. Crazy, maybe, but I live in KS and one tornado is enough! :twisted:
February 17, 2006 11:30:26 AM

Quote:

Your ports should be labeled, 0-8 I think if they're all SATA? What I would do is plug the two RAID drives into 0 and 1 on the RAID controller. Then use #4 for the data storage drive on the other controller. Why kind of mobo do you have?

ASUS A8N-SLi Premium
February 17, 2006 12:27:52 PM

As far as backing up your drive, a One Touch from maxtor does a pretty good job for me and what i do, but I never keep anything i need on my raid boot. I always keep my docs and everything off site just in case. but as far as preformance with a raid, 0 is the best, then maybe a 5 or 6 for securityreasons, but it all depends on how much your willing to spend. And yeah living in Kansas, you really have to watch out for tornados, lol :wink:
February 17, 2006 1:11:17 PM

Quote:
As far as backing up your drive, a One Touch from maxtor does a pretty good job for me and what i do, but I never keep anything i need on my raid boot. I always keep my docs and everything off site just in case. but as far as preformance with a raid, 0 is the best, then maybe a 5 or 6 for securityreasons, but it all depends on how much your willing to spend. And yeah living in Kansas, you really have to watch out for tornados, lol :wink:

LOL There's not much in Ohio to worry about unless your in fear that the Amish will pillage all computers in hopes of returning man back to the pre-electricity days.

Also, what is a One Touch? My drive is a Maxtor, so i'm interested.
February 17, 2006 5:43:09 PM

Well then, with the A8N you can use the nVidia controller to setup your RAID and the SI controller for your other drive.

The Maxtor one touch is an external drive that comes with some software and a button. You setup the software before, telling it what info to backup to the external drive, then push the button and it automatically syncs that data.

I believe I recall seeing an article about it somewhere on Tom's. Here is a link to the Egg for the 100GB model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
February 17, 2006 5:47:08 PM

Thanks to all who contributed to answering my questions. I can see why so many people come here for answers. By far the best support forum I've been to. Very knowledgable people as well :) 
February 17, 2006 5:49:55 PM

You're welcome! So what are you going to do?? :p 
February 21, 2006 5:11:33 PM

I'm going to take your suggestion of setting up a RAID0 and then having an external drive backup any crucial data. Seems like my best bet for performance and the ability to backup.
February 21, 2006 8:30:10 PM

Quote:
I'm going to take your suggestion of setting up a RAID0 and then having an external drive backup any crucial data. Seems like my best bet for performance and the ability to backup.

Definitely, good luck!
!