Fullfilling my dream, building my ultimate enthusiast rig :)

Overfiend

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
As its my first post in THG forums....hello all....glad to be here at last....im reading THG for a few years already but somehow got registered on forums just now....amazing isn't it? :)

Now to the proper subject.....at last i'm able to build my dream machine (money is no object) and need some advice or different opinions as im not entirely sure what to choose in some cases......

thats what my shopping list look like now....

AMD FX60 (Socket 939) - Retail
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2
GeForce 7800GTX Extreme XXX Edition 512MB VIVO x2 (SLI)
Western Digital Raptor-X 150GB - x2 (RAID-0)
Plextor PX-130A 16x50x DVD-ROM
Plextor PX-755A Dual Layer DVD-RW
ThermalRight XP-120
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition (or elite pro)
Some case (don't know yet)
Some PSU (don't know yet)
Logitech Z-5500 THX
Logitech diNovo Laser Media Desktop
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor

As everyone can see my main problems are case and PSU.
I never followed that subject to close and really don't know what to do with these....as far as case is concerned my main priorities are aesthetics and completetly aluminium build with best thermal and air flow solution possible (all in one isn't it?)....which way to go? Lian Li? Coolermaster? (im opting for a nice glass window at the side as well....
For PSU i have a few choices (Enermax Liberty 620w, OCZ 620w)but i mainly fear (as im going to overclock my system...to the limit) that most PSU won't handle it....i also looked at PCPower 850w PSU but these are not compatible with most motherboards and wont fit most cases (as well as not having modular cables) so won't suit me.....(don't consider TT Purepower 680w as well because it doesn't have modular cables too)....im completetly clueless with this one....or maybe im mistaken (hope i am) and most modern 620W PSU's will handle this rig without problems? - and im considering alternative which is 2 times X1900 Xtx in crossfire which consumes even more power so..... :? 8O

Regarding memory....i've aimed at corsair (2x1gb)....don't think will find much better....and im not considering 2x512 conf...any other ideas?

As for optical drives...picked up plextor as i always liked this company....dont know though if their recorders are capable of laser labelling DVD's as well.....really want that lightscribe or laserflash possibility.....as i said my pick in this case was more or less a guess-on so any better alternatives are welcome....

SB Fatality - dont know if there is any difference betwen FPS edition and elite pro except control panel so is it worth it? (not in terms of money but in general)

Logitech Z5500....probably wont get any better speakers will I?

and a few things about a monitor....i saw Dell 2005fpw as an ultimate gamers choice on many websites....but sometimes i wonder between widescreen (2005fpw) and normal screen (2001fpw) solution....which one should i take (dont want bigger screen than 20')? is that true that there are really some problems with that widescreen and native 1600x1050 res on many games? maybe its better to choose normal screen with native 16x12 (2001fpw). and one last thing....is that true that on these monitor you can use lesser res (like 1024x768) without going off from native res - just having a smaller window centered on the screen so you wont't get that interpolation? (i hope everyone knows what i mean...my english is far from perfect)

and last things.....im not considering water cooling solutions...just dont want them.....the only main exception is Zalman Resorator for CPU but from what i'e heard it won't outperform the XP-120 with decent (not too loud) fan so probably it isnt worth it......any opinions about that?

and i will definitly overclock my system as much as possible so that should also be considered as a highest priority, as well as going to Ati crossfire instead of SLI in terms of power needs and PSU.

i think that's all for know....any advice or different opinions are really apreciated.....and for anyone who read through that piece of junk......thanks :roll:

best regards guys..... :lol:

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Get a G15 keyboard with that rig, they rock :)
Case, hmm SilverStone TJ07?
PSU, no clue :? I have a PC 850 and it rocks, works fine with my a8n32-sli

Sweet rig 8)

Overfiend

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
As for G15 i thought about it but i don't know if i like the looks of it :D thats not a big issue though....

And i did some more research a moment ago....and probably pass on PCPower 850w cause its so loud (68db!!!) its more like a vacuum cleaner :roll: than a PSU....and you doesnt have that modular cables......so..... :cry:

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Is there a tool you can buy to test how long you computer is? I'm curious now to see how loud my system, doesn't bother me just want to know heh. Maybe I have no ear drums left or sumthing :lol:

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Is there a tool you can buy to test how long you computer is? I'm curious now to see how loud my system, doesn't bother me just want to know heh. Maybe I have no ear drums left or sumthing :lol:

I wish now that I went with the DFI board like yours. The A8N32 layout sucks, and having 2 7800 512s in there, there is really no room to put a sound card. :?

Anyways how bout that case suggestion eh? Only $359, its a steal :)

techiemonkey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
AMD FX60 (Socket 939) - Retail - No get decent opterons better cost and performance more room for OC aswell
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT - Get something for the opterons
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 - do you really need the LED's? get the same variant but not with the Pro acronym
GeForce 7800GTX Extreme XXX Edition 512MB VIVO x2 (SLI) - Get crossfire way better once you turn up the AA AF on high res
Western Digital Raptor-X 150GB - x2 (RAID-0) - Nice maybe another drive from someone for media type stuff so you dont clog up your system drive with unneccasary read write access
Plextor PX-130A 16x50x DVD-ROM - Nuff said
Plextor PX-755A Dual Layer DVD-RW - Nuff said
ThermalRight XP-120 - Personal Choice
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition (or elite pro) - Nice sound card wouldnt bother with anything more expensive unless you create music at home
Some case (don't know yet) - Antec P180 all the way
Some PSU (don't know yet) - Seasonic PSU 600w atleast needed man they rock efficient and great voltage rails
Logitech Z-5500 THX - Logitech? wash your mouth out with salt get the creative 7.1 gigaworks those are sweet babies
Logitech diNovo Laser Media Desktop - Personal choice just dont skimp on one of the most important system parts
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Widescreen hmm not really worth it get a decent "normal" monitor preferably not a dell

Overfiend

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
i think ill stick with FX and DFI....as for opty maybe with my next system.....

memory....passing out on corsair as it doesnt like dfi boards...will get crucial ballistix or some ocz enthusiast rig....

the same with seasonic psu....know these are good but dfi boards dont like it....so considering enermax liberty 620....hows that sounds?

linux_0

Splendid

I wish now that I went with the DFI board like yours. The A8N32 layout sucks, and having 2 7800 512s in there, there is really no room to put a sound card. :?

Anyways how bout that case suggestion eh? Only $359, its a steal :)

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?btnG=Search+Froogle&q=decibel+meter&lmode=unknown

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That's cool to be a millionaire and able to afford a bad ass rig. :D

But hey, for the sound card get the elite pro rather than paying for the name.

For the case you should get the Tai Chi or Lian Li.

Antec or Coolermaster are good psu.

It's gonna be a cool and superfast rig. :D

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
AMD FX60 (Socket 939) - Retail - No get decent opterons better cost and performance more room for OC aswell
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT - Get something for the opterons
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 - do you really need the LED's? get the same variant but not with the Pro acronym
GeForce 7800GTX Extreme XXX Edition 512MB VIVO x2 (SLI) - Get crossfire way better once you turn up the AA AF on high res
Western Digital Raptor-X 150GB - x2 (RAID-0) - Nice maybe another drive from someone for media type stuff so you dont clog up your system drive with unneccasary read write access
Plextor PX-130A 16x50x DVD-ROM - Nuff said
Plextor PX-755A Dual Layer DVD-RW - Nuff said
ThermalRight XP-120 - Personal Choice
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition (or elite pro) - Nice sound card wouldnt bother with anything more expensive unless you create music at home
Some case (don't know yet) - Antec P180 all the way
Some PSU (don't know yet) - Seasonic PSU 600w atleast needed man they rock efficient and great voltage rails
Logitech Z-5500 THX - Logitech? wash your mouth out with salt get the creative 7.1 gigaworks those are sweet babies
Logitech diNovo Laser Media Desktop - Personal choice just dont skimp on one of the most important system parts
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Widescreen hmm not really worth it get a decent "normal" monitor preferably not a dell

yet another bad view for Dell LCD. They are #1 in LCD sales and quality. I think there is a reason for that. I my self have a 17 inch ultrasharp and its freaking great! And why is widescreen not worth it. He will have two 7800 gtx 512. He can run whatever res that monitor can with ease.

Overfiend

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Allright....im know getting a brighter picture....

any opinions on enermax liberty 620w, and cooler scythe ninja (how it compares to xp-120), as well as zalman resorator as an alternative (will it outperform xp-120 and scythe ninja)

surf2di4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
hey i just installed a hiper type r psu in my rig. its dead quiet.

also check out an acrylic case like at www.clearcomputercase.com/index.htm

handym3000

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
AMD FX60 (Socket 939) - Retail great choice.
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT make sure to update the bios but a awesome board.
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 no way it doesnt like corsair ram. take a look at the new ocz ram. the gtx gold series this a better ram for less money in my opinon plus the timings are better. or any ocz ram will work the best. make sure it is a dual channel ram!
GeForce 7800GTX Extreme XXX Edition 512MB VIVO x2 (SLI) good luck finding 2 of these!!!!
Western Digital Raptor-X 150GB - x2 (RAID-0) awesome choice but can be loud
Plextor PX-130A 16x50x DVD-ROM make sure it is sata
Plextor PX-755A Dual Layer DVD-RW make sure it is sata
ThermalRight XP-120 take alook at the zalman cooler i prefer those over thermal right
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition (or elite pro) up to you but a great choice
Some case (don't know yet) make sure it has at least 1 fan upfront, 1 side fan and 1 back fan
Some PSU (don't know yet) i would suggest at least 600 watts look at the ocz power supplies.
Logitech Z-5500 THX i would also lookk at a good set of head phones.
Logitech diNovo Laser Media Desktop make sure this is what you want for a mouse. i personally am a fan of th mx-310 mouse.
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor looks cool this is a personal choice but looks great

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
that system sounds super l33t but as for the monitor if money is no object you should get something bigger...Dell does make really good monitors so why not go with the Ultrasharp 2405fpw for just a couple hundred more?......24" goodness....mmmmmm.....1920 x 1200 .....its bad ass......as your system will be...as for cases I like Lian Li but your case is a personal choice as long as it is functional and has a goood fit and finish & layout.......my 2 cents worth good luck

Overfiend

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
ok....after listening to different opinions made some mods to my shopping list.....i think itll look somewhat like that - thanks for all feedback - any other input is welcome :)

AMD FX60 (Socket 939) - Retail
DFI LanParty Crossfire
2 GB OCZ Platinum PC4000 or Mushkin Redline PC4000 or Crucial Ballistix - still have to decide
2x X1900 XT Crossfire
Western Digital Raptor-X 150GB - x2 (RAID-0)
Plextor PX-130A 16x50x DVD-ROM - (Beige)
Plextor PX-755A Dual Layer DVD-RW
ThermalRight XP-120, or scythe ninja
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Antec P180 case
Enermax Liberty 620w
Logitech Z-5500 THX (i think ill stick to these....my personal choice)
Logitech diNovo Laser Media Desktop (personal choice as well)
Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

also considering lianli case and vapochill lightspeed cooling but i have to think about that some more.....honestly im little afraid of fiddling with vapochill :) (not my first system of course but never tried any other cooling than air....maybe its time) - and one other thing....i really like that antec p180 case....is there any way to mod the case so vapochill will ift into it - dont like the looks of lianli cases.....

again thanks for all feedback so far guys.....

lobosrul

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Heres some of my thoughts on the Dell 24" monitor that you think your going to get, i bought one about a month ago.

I use it like this, computer is plugged in thru the DVI cable (duh), and my cable box (hi def), thru the component. The sound from the cable box goes into my sound card (thru a splittler). The monitor stand fits just perfectly on top of the cable box, so i have it situated like that.

The picture thru DVI is far supperior on that monitor than thru Component, BUT it doesnt support HDCP, so my cable box gives me an error if i try and run it like that. You can then have cable TV in a window while you do whatever on ur computer, which is nice, but the pic quality full screen at that distance evne with hi def sux. Its ok from a good 10 or 12 feet, like the back of my bed, (i got the monitor so it could double as a 2nd hi-def TV).

The TV quality thru a hi-def TV tuner card (ATI), is really awesome, but no cable, over-the-air channels only D: .

Be sure and turn your brigtness setting down quite a bit, or you'll burn your eyes out, and i adjusted the colors to give more blue i believe.

And let me warn u, there is a little bit of ghosting if your playing a fast moving game (ie a first person shooter), its just on the edge of perception for me.

Pretty much every game ive tried out in the last month, works in widescreen, but they mostly need to be manualy put in a widescreen rez, so far HL2 (and CS:S and Dod:S) is the only game that i could change thru the in game settings. I play FPS's at 1680x1050 res in 1:1 mode on the monitor, that leaves like a small black bar on each side and top/bottom. I do this for 2 reasons, first I only have a single 7800 GT so i cant really handle 1920x1200 for most moder fps's, and 2nd the 24" screen is really just too big for shooters, u have to glance around the screen to see enemies sometimes.

Id say if ALL your going to use this pc for is gaming, maybe look into a widescreen CRT, otherwise the dell 24" is a great general purpose choice.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
2 GB OCZ Platinum PC4000 or Mushkin Redline PC4000 or Crucial Ballistix
OR Corsair :p

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor
They were 879 yesterday, now their back up to 1,099 :cry: :cry:

Well I was able to get this monitor for the reduced price and I must say this things is uber l33t........ for the price I was able to get it at....not a single dead pixel either...

I am very happy with this monitor and I have never really been a big fan of Dell products...still would NOT buy one of their computers though....heh...

As for gaming I play a lot of BF2 and City of Villains and have had no problems playing either.....in City of Villains I play at the supported resolution of 1920x1200 and it plays fine. no ghosting or anything and while playing BF 2 again I don't not have a problem.....